Leong Sze Hian : Unaffordable HDB contributor to low fertility

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2021/08.../#comments

Not true. Mainly from our income inequality. When you know you cannot provide your kid with top school and tuition like other rich parent can..better dont marry n have kid. The chance of yr child becoming the next ChanCS(born in a poor family n get scholarship) is slim.

(13-08-2021, 07:16 AM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Not true. Mainly from our income inequality. When you know you cannot provide your kid with top school and tuition like other rich parent can..better dont marry n have kid. The chance of yr child becoming the next ChanCS(born in a poor family n get scholarship) is slim.

If you cannot get a decent size home would you have many children?....

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(13-08-2021, 07:20 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  If you cannot get a decent size home would you have many children?....

3 room flat can have 2 kids already.

(13-08-2021, 07:24 AM)Sharexchange Wrote:  3 room flat can have 2 kids already.

I think some couples calculate ...after they pay for the flat not much money left for children.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

hmmm den how come malays seems to have more children den chinese?
[+] 2 users Like OLT's post

(13-08-2021, 10:01 AM)OLT Wrote:  hmmm den how come malays seems to have more children den chinese?

I had many malay friends...they all dont compare how rich or how poor you are..
[+] 2 users Like Sharexchange's post

(13-08-2021, 10:01 AM)OLT Wrote:  hmmm den how come malays seems to have more children den chinese?

I think cultural tradition and religion...and family structure.

But even Malay is low birth rate in Singapore ...it is just higher than other Singaporean groups. But if you see malaysia data Malaysia Chinese have higher birth rate than  Singapore Malays.

[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

To be honest..family cohesiveness is not very strong...income wealth inequality. Its only when in toilet everyone is equal. All men will have to stand to pee.
[+] 1 user Likes Sharexchange's post

(13-08-2021, 07:24 AM)Sharexchange Wrote:  3 room flat can have 2 kids already.

So the daughter shares a room with his brother ?

(13-08-2021, 10:48 AM)Ola Wrote:  So the daughter shares a room with his brother ?

Very common what. Share until grow up.

Not the main reason
but nonetheless it is a serious personal consideration depending on one's social status.

Same answer I gave to that social worker earlier who lamented that many sick lonely old folks prefer to die quietly at home or bedok reservoir coz of unaffordable health care.

Can live in a Van.? No postal code. No address. Can?

(13-08-2021, 11:00 AM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Very common what. Share until grow up.

Share until brother goes NS? 

Not among my ex- classmates. Their brothers all sleep outside in the living room. 

Unless sisters, then share one room.

(13-08-2021, 11:59 AM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Can live in a Van.? No postal code. No address. Can?

van oso not cheap.. a new van maybe ard $80-100k can use for 10years only..

parking/insurance/road tax etc..
[+] 1 user Likes OLT's post

To raise a child up to Uni graduate, you need around $2M.

(13-08-2021, 11:59 AM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Can live in a Van.? No postal code. No address. Can?

Actually, anywhere also can lah.

[Image: Screenshot-2021-08-13-12-23-46-64-680d03...270fe7.jpg]

There are many issues housing is just one of the many:

1. Job insecurity. Competition from foreigners...acknowledged by PM Lee in national day speech. Would you have children if you feel job insecure?

2. Divorce. Divorce rate is more than 30% of marriages per year. Would you have children if marriage is unstable.

3. High cost of medical etc basically high cost of living couple already have problem supporting themselves and building safety net. How to have children?

4. High-stress causing infertility.

5. Insufficient govt support and safety nets.

(13-08-2021, 11:58 AM)5354 Wrote:  Which working couple in Singapore cannot afford a 3rm HDB flat in a non-mature estate like the one below that cost just $200,000

[Image: 190712214_4784628988230616_2533098999485...e=613A5DF8]

Correct. I did the calculations. So indeed it is not enough and leads to low infertility. 

Also, it says Median Income. If anything lesser, mati.
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

aiya the low fertility problem is more complex den just the price of hdb la.. if cost is a factor, u will see middle/above middleincome or even higher income group having more and more children.

but fact is many high income couples also choose to be childless or the most 1 or 2kid. also the number of singles are also going up.

(13-08-2021, 12:40 PM)OLT Wrote:  aiya the low fertility problem is more complex den just the price of hdb la.. if cost is a factor, u will see middle/above middleincome or even higher income group having more and more children.

but fact is many high income couples also choose to be childless or the most 1 or 2kid.  also the number of singles are also going up.

High income may be because of stressful life and job competition...

Many different reasons ....

Precovid can set up temporarily tent @ beachside ... wash in public toilets 
[Image: laughter-144.gif]

There is no right or wrong decisions. 
One only has to bear the consequences that one makes  Big Grin

I observe in the past many dun invest on their children. Now getting more malay spend on their children's education.Now you can see more as lawyer and pmet.

Universal problem...the educated n the rich do not like kids cos v selfish, want the best for themselves..

Also they know too much , quality vs quantity.

Other race breed like rabbits cos the more the merrier, it's blessings from their god...dont care about quality , let god or govt take care lah...billions go to feed n raise them p.a....wat a waste! They likely to b in the influence of exttemists
[+] 1 user Likes Yin yang's post

(13-08-2021, 02:30 PM)Ernesto Wrote:  I observe in the past many dun invest on their children. Now getting more malay spend on their children's education.Now you can see more as lawyer and pmet.

my child's malay classmate, the parents are pmet.  they celebrate the child's bday macam like malay wedding, very willing to spend sia..

The rich n educated r v selfish, want the best for themselves n know too much...quality life .

The other breeding like dont know wat, the more merrier...to them , their god asks them to do so n many become extremists..

Low expectations n v simple minded...cannot take care, push it to god or govt lah

(13-08-2021, 02:45 PM)Yin yang Wrote:  The rich n educated r v selfish, want the best for themselves n know too much...quality life .

The other breeding like dont know wat, the more merrier...to them , their god asks them to do so n many become extremists..

Low expectations n v simple minded...cannot take care, push it to god or govt lah

last time chinese oso same ma.. more children = more hock kee.  den give birth alot,, if cannot take care, give to other pple.

extremist is misguided faith but dat's a separate issue.

(13-08-2021, 12:33 PM)Ola Wrote:  Correct. I did the calculations. So indeed it is not enough and leads to low infertility. 

Also, it says Median Income. If anything lesser, mati.

Since it is median income of applicants of 3 room flats, that means quite a lot of the applicants have less than 2.8k income. I think need to be quite a bit lower than 2.8k to mati.

(13-08-2021, 02:38 PM)OLT Wrote:  my child's malay classmate, the parents are pmet.  they celebrate the child's bday macam like malay wedding, very willing to spend sia..

Really? Their thinking more towards the westerner. Spend first worry later... lol

(13-08-2021, 05:01 PM)Levin Wrote:  Since it is median income of applicants of 3 room flats, that means quite a lot of the applicants have less than 2.8k income. I think need to be quite a bit lower than 2.8k to mati.

Less CPF $644- Food - Transport - Handphone/ wifi  - child's  clothes- PCF $160 - family medical - Electricity- water- Town Council fees- haircut- . . . 

What is left? 

That is why only 1 kid, Otherwise need a maid or the mother must be full -time housewife. Not mati?