Who is stuck with Credit Suisse’s worthless AT1 bonds?

Updated: 22 Mar 2023, 11:27 AM IST

Big money managers such as Pacific Investment Management Co. and Invesco Ltd. are among the largest holders, owning around US$807 million and US$370 million, respectively. BlackRock Inc. had about US$113 million at the end of February, although the firm has reduced some of its holdings in recent weeks. Elsewhere, funds managed by Lazard Freres Gestion and GAM Investments were also exposed.

The Middle East has formed deep ties with Credit Suisse. In 2013, Qatar converted over US$4.5 billion of a special type of debt into AT1 bonds, although it is unknown whether the Gulf state still owned any of them.

Or how about Credit Suisse’s own employees? For years, senior executives were paid in part in AT1 notes

Fortunately, banks are unlikely candidates, in that they are heavily penalized for owning peers’ capital instruments.

Mom-and-pop investors should also be largely spared. In many jurisdictions, retail investors are not allowed to buy AT1 notes because of their complexity.

This leads us to the ultra-rich. Wealthy individuals, as well as small to mid sized family offices in Hong Kong and Singapore have gobbled them up, and a lot of them are “in shock,”

https://mintgenie.livemint.com/news/mark...9464167326
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post

cpf board maybe got put money there

town councils also will put money 'somewhere

the last lehman crisis
a pap town council lost 15million

AT1 is Lehman minibonds for the rich?

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Never know if your Insurer’s endowment plans are involved.

me only left with S$1M inside after sold $2M last yr.

Credit Suisse bondholders prepare lawsuit after contentious $17 billion writedown

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/21/credit-s...-deal.html

This leads us to the ultra-rich. Wealthy individuals, as well as small to mid sized family offices in Hong Kong and Singapore have gobbled them up, and a lot of them are “in shock”.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHA LOL now they know how normal people feel like when they get wiped out by failing banks. 

SEE ONE WUMAO, KILL ONE WUMAO!!! 

As long as our TH not involved will be lucky, also CPF and GLC....but they don"t disclose one...

Ironically bonds are supposed to be safer than stocks.. lol but govt or angels always bailout the bank (shareholder) and latest pattern is kill the bondholders (and allow bonuses to be paid to employees too!). Lol

(22-03-2023, 03:58 PM)singaporean1964 Wrote:  cpf board maybe got put money there

town councils also will put money 'somewhere

the last lehman crisis
a pap town council lost 15million

i thought just a few million fr a few pap tc!!