A timeline of CPIB's probe of S. Iswaran

A timeline of CPIB's probe of S. Iswaran

Last week on January 9, the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) concluded its probe and on Transport Minister S. Iswaran, who appeared in court on January 18, where he was charged with multiple corruption offences. Here is a timeline of events. 

READ: https://bit.ly/47Fbajt

Follow @AsiaOnecom for all the latest updates

Singapore minister resigns after being charged with corruption in a first for the city state. now former transport minister S. Iswaran was accompanied by lawyers at the Singapore State Courts on Thursday,.
Singapore’s Transport Minister S. Iswaran has resigned after being charged with corruption on Thursday, the prime minister’s office said, confirming a historic development for a city state that prides itself on having a squeaky-clean govt.

S. Iswaran, Singapore's transport minister, leaves the Singapore State Courts in Singapore, on Thursday, Jan. 18, 2024. Iswaran was charged with corruption, the latest development in the biggest political scandal to hit the city state in close to four decades.

Singapore's now former transport minister S. Iswaran was accompanied by lawyers at the Singapore State Courts on Thursday, January 18, 2024.

Singapore’s Transport Minister S. Iswaran has resigned after being charged with corruption on Thursday, the prime minister’s office said, confirming a historic development for a city state that prides itself on having a squeaky-clean government.

The charges against Iswaran are part of the biggest corruption probe to engulf Singapore’s ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) in decades. The scandal, which also ensnared a hotel tycoon best known for bringing the Formula 1 Grand Prix to the city, was one in a series of controversies for the government in the past year that sent shockwaves through the country.

Iswaran is the country’s first sitting minister to be charged with a criminal offense.

Billionaire hotelier Ong Beng Seng smiles during a news conference in Singapore May 11, 2007. Singapore will host a Formula One race in 2008, Iswaran said on Friday. Iswaran told a media briefing that a first race could be held in September or October next year and might be a night race. An F1 night race would be the first in the world, although several Grand Prix drivers have spoken against it, citing safety concerns.

Rare Singapore corruption probe widens to include Grand Prix owner Iswaran, whose political career spanned nearly 30 years, faces 27 charges, including corruption and obstructing justice, Chief Prosecutor Tan Kiat Pheng said in court Thursday.

According to charge sheets seen by CNN, these included allegations that he was gifted by Malaysian billionaire Ong Beng Seng, more than 160,000 Singapore dollars ($119,000) in bribes in exchange for advancing his business interests. Those gifts allegedly included business class flights, luxury hotel stays, tickets to the F1 Grand Prix, English Premier League matches and West End musicals.

The former minister was flanked by his legal team at court on Thursday morning and pleaded not guilty. He is currently on bail.

In a statement sent to CNN, Iswaran said he rejected the charges and allegations against him. “I resigned as (a) Cabinet Minister, Member of Parliament and as a member of the People’s Action Party because I believe it was the right thing to do,” the statement read.

“These past months have been most difficult for my family and me,” Iswaran added. “I am innocent and will now focus on clearing my name.”
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/18/asia/...index.html
[+] 1 user Likes Tee tiong huat's post