12 Taiwanese families sued govt for family members' COVID-19 deaths and suffering

11 Nov 2021 07:05PM
(Updated: 11 Nov 2021 07:05PM)

12 bereaved families that are seeking an apology and 60 million new Taiwan dollars (US$2 million) in compensation from the government, saying it was underprepared - despite it being a year and a half into the pandemic - leading to unnecessary deaths and suffering.

Taiwan’s experience shows how quickly the virus can destabilize health care systems even when the caseload is relatively low. To date, the island of 24 million people has had 16,465 cases and 848 deaths. Yet, the loss for each family cuts as deeply as anywhere else.

Relatives of victims elsewhere are also seeking answers. A raft of lawsuits have been filed in France over shortages of masks and test kits early in the outbreak. The British government has agreed to hold a public inquiry into its handling of the pandemic, partly in response to threats of legal action.

At the height of the outbreak, Chen couldn't get an ambulance for her mother, who tested positive on May 23 and had been feverish. They waited four days for an ambulance.

Taiwan had a limited stock of remdesivir, an anti-viral drug from Gilead, which has demonstrated mixed results

Further, it wasn't covered by the island's national health insurance scheme, making it affordable only for a small percent of the population.

Su said they only had treatments such as steroids. “If they needed oxygen, we would give them oxygen, and if they really weren’t OK, then we would have to intubate them,” he said. “That's all we could do.”

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/ta...en-2306826

ok we can take a leaf out fr this

(11-11-2021, 08:06 PM)Levin Wrote:  11 Nov 2021 07:05PM
(Updated: 11 Nov 2021 07:05PM)

12 bereaved families that are seeking an apology and 60 million new Taiwan dollars (US$2 million) in compensation from the government, saying it was underprepared - despite it being a year and a half into the pandemic - leading to unnecessary deaths and suffering.

Taiwan’s experience shows how quickly the virus can destabilize health care systems even when the caseload is relatively low. To date, the island of 24 million people has had 16,465 cases and 848 deaths. Yet, the loss for each family cuts as deeply as anywhere else.

Relatives of victims elsewhere are also seeking answers. A raft of lawsuits have been filed in France over shortages of masks and test kits early in the outbreak. The British government has agreed to hold a public inquiry into its handling of the pandemic, partly in response to threats of legal action.

At the height of the outbreak, Chen couldn't get an ambulance for her mother, who tested positive on May 23 and had been feverish. They waited four days for an ambulance.

Taiwan had a limited stock of remdesivir, an anti-viral drug from Gilead, which has demonstrated mixed results

Further, it wasn't covered by the island's national health insurance scheme, making it affordable only for a small percent of the population.

Su said they only had treatments such as steroids. “If they needed oxygen, we would give them oxygen, and if they really weren’t OK, then we would have to intubate them,” he said. “That's all we could do.”

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/ta...en-2306826

In Taiwan the victims may want to sue the govt. but we don't know the level of success.  But in Singapore we will be the laughing stock if we want to sue our govt. to-date there isn't a case where someone trying to sue the govt. If they want to sue our govt. then it is a lost cause....... Rotfl Laughing

In Taiwan, media are free to report critical ill/death related to COVID vaccine..

In Singapore, we are a god blasted island where there is no reported cases of critical ill/death related to COVID vaccine..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

(11-11-2021, 10:13 PM)ArielCasper Wrote:  In Taiwan, media are free to report critical ill/death related to COVID vaccine..

In Singapore, we are a god blasted island where there is no reported cases of critical ill/death related to COVID vaccine..

I remembered they reported it as zero a couple of months back. Not sure about now.

(12-11-2021, 06:27 AM)Levin Wrote:  I remembered they reported it as zero a couple of months back. Not sure about now.

It is reported a month again Tw is perhaps the only place in the world where they have more people died related to vaccine than covid. 

http://www.hkcna.hk/docDetail.jsp?id=920823&channel=2805

Subject news is due to delay of treatment which is also common in many countries in early part of pandemic.
Death due to lack of treatment has come down as situation improve.

Singapore Govt has immunity against all wrong doings, all wrong decisions, all negligence and all uncalculated risks, right?

That is why they do wrong, make inappr decisions, half- past 6 policies in MOM and poor planning is also OK.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(13-11-2021, 06:17 PM)Ola Wrote:  Singapore Govt has immunity against all wrong doings, all wrong decisions, all negligence and all uncalculated risks, right?

That is why they do wrong, make inappr decisions, half- past 6 policies in MOM and poor planning is also OK.

In Singapore our political leaders are protected under an 'invisible' umbrella, and nobody can upset it.  They will only be sued until pants drop if they were bold enough in their silly idea that they could win the case... Angry

Taiwan govt handle the crisis badly causing deaths.

It should take responsibility for its actions.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.