‘I will be transparent and above board’: Tin Pei Ling on conflict of interest queries

(08-02-2023, 11:15 AM)Bigiron Wrote:  Busy at home counting money maybe

The ex-M'sian-turn-New-Singaporean Grab CEO already counting his USD after IPO in Wall St. Big Grin

[Image: 1200x-1.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Manthink's post

(08-02-2023, 10:23 AM)Manthink Wrote:  I have a different view - Ma Yun is VERY LUCKY to be born in China during the time when IT technology and economic reforms came together in a world that love GLOBALISATON.

If he were born in SG, he would have been despised and rejected by our Gov System for reasons like...
  • Not able to speak "proper English" (Remember Nantah graduates?)
  • Not from a English-speaking family
  • Don't attend RI or some SAP schools..
  • Not a U graduate.
  • Lastly, his looks does not help....

But Ma has a interesting view about language...it isn't about what u speak, but how to appreciate other, hence difference.... in fact, Ma, among many notable business achievements, he is very proud of his English...because it is "Made in China"...which he once told his Western audience in Davos.

https://youtu.be/sDy07cIYrdg

If he were born and raised in Singapore, he would probably be English educated, so would Winnie, Hu Jintao, Jiang Zemin.

He was an English language teacher before he went into self employment.  Listening to him speaking (in the videos) I would, hand in heart, conclude that he speaks way better English than 95% of "born here raised here" Singaporeans.
[+] 1 user Likes Oyk's post

(07-02-2023, 12:40 PM)starbugs Wrote:  This comment by a professor is good. An MP taking on the role of government relations (at a company that is increasingly subjected to new laws) is at best muddling the impression of good governance.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/commenta...ce-3255631

If I draw a line in the mddle of a piece of paper.

Left side Chiobu
Right side Dinobu

I would be lying not to put her on the left side.

But she is vilified online by oppies all because she s a PAP member.

(08-02-2023, 06:26 PM)Oyk Wrote:  
(08-02-2023, 10:23 AM)Manthink Wrote:  I have a different view - Ma Yun is VERY LUCKY to be born in China during the time when IT technology and economic reforms came together in a world that love GLOBALISATON.
If he were born in SG, he would have been despised and rejected by our Gov System for reasons like...
  • Not able to speak "proper English" (Remember Nantah graduates?)
  • Not from a English-speaking family
  • Don't attend RI or some SAP schools..
  • Not a U graduate.
  • Lastly, his looks does not help....

But Ma has a interesting view about language...it isn't about what u speak, but how to appreciate other, hence difference.... in fact, Ma, among many notable business achievements, he is very proud of his English...because it is "Made in China"...which he once told his Western audience in Davos.

https://youtu.be/sDy07cIYrdg

If he were born and raised in Singapore, he would probably be English educated, so would Winnie, Hu Jintao, Jiang Zemin.
He was an English language teacher before he went into self employment.  Listening to him speaking (in the videos) I would, hand in heart, conclude that he speaks way better English than 95% of "born here raised here" Singaporeans.

Jack Ma was born in 1964, a year before SG Independence - If his birthplace had been on this Little Red Dot, he would be placed as a 2nd-class citizen after PAP gov decided to call English-language as "1st Language" while our Mother tongues classified as "2nd Language".

That term explicitly informs u of your social status ...(remember the High SES debacle?) ...And we know how the Chinese-educated were systemically discriminated and disadvantaged in the name of SG economy development and ethnic harmony...

Ironically, you seems to be replaying to that same old tune...that only English-speaking human will be rich and respected.

Rolleyes

(09-02-2023, 10:18 AM)Manthink Wrote:  Jack Ma was born in 1964, a year before SG Independence - If his birthplace had been on this Little Red Dot, he would be placed as a 2nd-class citizen after PAP gov decided to call English-language as "1st Language" while our Mother tongues classified as "2nd Language".

That term explicitly informs u of your social status ...(remember the High SES debacle?) ...And we know how the Chinese-educated were systemically discriminated and disadvantaged in the name of SG economy development and ethnic harmony...

Ironically, you seems to be replaying to that same old tune...that only English-speaking human will be rich and respected.

Rolleyes

Errr....you would also be a "2nd class citizen" as you called it, if you had attended a Malay stream school, or Tamil stream school.  PS:  I would not call it "2nd class citizen".  I would say you are just less able to compete for a job, which requires you to speak English.

So there was no discrimination specifically against Chinese stream students.

Economics dictated that we would not make it if we did not speak the putonghua of the world which was English.

Social stability dictated that we should not opt any of our mother tongues to be the putonghua for Singapore.

It is interesting to note that you have the CHEEK to mention 1964 and in the same breath euphemistically called it the year before independence when the hard truth was that we were kicked out of Malaysia like a dispensable stray dog..

And I wish to remind you that 1964 was also two years before the Cultural Revolution started which brought China to its knees, and had Mao not died in 1976, China would. Deng saved China, but you seem to disagree with that, somehow.

And if you think Singapore was better able to withstand the Cultural Revolution than PRC, I have to be very blunt with you here, Manthink:  You are mistaken.  Singapore would not survive it.

We did the right thing to learn English, and use it for government and commerce.  Investments came in.  Not only from the West but even from Japan, where Japanese executives came, and spoke...right!  English!

If we had promoted Mandarin as our putonghua, forcing all the non-ethnic Chinese to learn that, I think there will be bloodshed.  It is a good thing that you were not voted to be the government...you would have caused one (bloodshed)

Singapore is Singapore.  There is no place for Chinese chauvinism here.   Rolleyes

(03-02-2023, 12:14 PM)Talent Wrote:  u are bluffing yourself

After so long, LHL didn't offer her a job mah!

So got to look for alternatives lor!  Big Grin

(09-02-2023, 10:40 AM)Oyk Wrote:  Errr....you would also be a "2nd class citizen" as you called it, if you had attended a Malay stream school, or Tamil stream school.  PS:  I would not call it "2nd class citizen".  I would say you are just less able to compete for a job, which requires you to speak English.
Economics dictated that we would not make it if we did not speak the putonghua of the world which was English.
Social stability dictated that we should not opt any of our mother tongues to be the putonghua for Singapore.
It is interesting to note that you have the CHEEK to mention 1964 and in the same breath euphemistically called it the year before independence when the hard truth was that we were kicked out of Malaysia like a dispensable stray dog..
And I wish to remind you that 1964 was also two years before the Cultural Revolution started which brought China to its knees, and had Mao not died in 1976, China would. Deng saved China, but you seem to disagree with that, somehow.
And if you think Singapore was better able to withstand the Cultural Revolution than PRC, I have to be very blunt with you here, Manthink:  You are mistaken.  Singapore would not survive it.

We did the right thing to learn English, and use it for government and commerce.  Investments came in.  Not only from the West but even from Japan, where Japanese executives came, and spoke...right!  English!
If we had promoted Mandarin as our putonghua, forcing all the non-ethnic Chinese to learn that, I think there will be bloodshed.  It is a good thing that you were not voted to be the government...you would have caused one (bloodshed)Singapore is Singapore.  There is no place for Chinese chauvinism here.   Rolleyes

I am curious - How do you arrive to a view that there was no discrimination specifically against Chinese stream students

all so interested in this chiobu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOHaazpuknU

(03-02-2023, 01:24 PM)singaporean1964 Wrote:  if u resignb as mp for macperson
then i beLIEve you

wat transparent..talk cock only lah

pls tell me which PAP MP not tcss and wayang ?

(09-02-2023, 11:02 AM)Manthink Wrote:  I am curious - How do you arrive to a view that there was no discrimination specifically against Chinese stream students

If the job requires a decent command of English, and you don't have it, you call that discrimination?

Wow!  

If the job requires a decent knowledge of medicine, and you are not hired to work as a doctor because your major was history and you call that discrimination?

If the job requires a knowledge of French, and you don't even understand the language and are not hired, you call that discrimination?

Oh well, many jobs these days STATE that a knowledge of Chinese is required. But an old man who only speaks Hokkien is turned away because he cannot speak the Mandarin dialect.  Is that discrimination?

(09-02-2023, 10:40 AM)Oyk Wrote:  Errr....you would also be a "2nd class citizen" as you called it, if you had attended a Malay stream school, or Tamil stream school.  PS:  I would not call it "2nd class citizen".  I would say you are just less able to compete for a job, which requires you to speak English.

If we had promoted Mandarin as our putonghua, forcing all the non-ethnic Chinese to learn that, I think there will be bloodshed.  It is a good thing that you were not voted to be the government...you would have caused one (bloodshed)

Singapore is Singapore.  There is no place for Chinese chauvinism here.   Rolleyes
I like the composition you have written, it shows that you are being pragmatic, calling a spade a spade.................... Clapping

(10-02-2023, 09:51 AM)debono Wrote:  I like the composition you have written, it shows that you are being pragmatic, calling a spade a spade.................... Clapping

Let's describe 1965 as it was.

1.  One million plus people....most of the migrants betted on Malaysia and that's why our low pop number.  Today, their chewren wake up at 4 am to cross the Causeway to come here to work....they are known as jhks.  Some became new citizens like SgBuffet.

2.  Majority of the 1 mullion plus people had no schooling or only a few years of it.  They were poor or chewren of poor migrants.

3.  There was no AMK Hub.  Damn it, the whole of Ang Mo Kio was a jungle!  Choa Chu Kang was better, it was not entirely a jungle but had better use as a pig farm.  Bishan was not a prime HDB estate, it was a cemetery and a go-to place for the Hokkien and Cantonese gangs to clash with parangs.

4.  People's Park was not even......the name was not even coined.  How to coin it when the shopping centre didn't even exist?  And yes, it was supposed to be Singapore's version of communist Shanghai's 人民广场 (renmin guangchang) - and why People's Park was called zhenzhu daxia(sha) and not renmin guangchang....you can figure that out easily.

5.  We were somewhat similar to today's Muar, SgBuffet's birthplace and hometown.

6.  We were broke.  That was 1965.

7.  In 1966, the Cultural Revolution started.  

8.  A resource rich China went deep into the dearth of unimaginable poverty.  70 million people died, despite trying to stay alive by eating leaves on trees.

9.  The Marxists wanted Singapore to become part of China.  Communist materials were coming down from Changsha, and the communists worked through the Chinese schools.  And spoke Cantonese, Teochew, Hokkien, Hainanese, Hakka if they had to, with those who had never attended school, to try to convert the peepur to communism.   LKY fought with them, and they ran away to Johor to hide in the jungle, ready to do a "Long March" if pursued.

If Singapore had been captured by the communists, and LKY shot dead point blank, we would be part of the Cultural Revolution with the communist insurgents red-guarding the whole damned place, and everybody soon waving red flags and singing 起来起来前进前..... (PRC's national anthem)

So simpur?

No man (think).

I can foresee the Malays will have none of that.  The Malays on the other side will move in if Singapore were taken by the communists to fight alongside the Malays this side of the Causeway.  How about the Indians?  They would lie low because they were after all such a small minority and India was so far away?  No, man(think).  We would have our own version of Tamil Tigers.  Singapore would be bloodied and broken for a long time to come.

This is how serious racial riots and clashes can be.

I have not finished writing my composition yet...so, the Cultural Revolution started in 1966 and lasted for ten years.  Who here seriously believe that when PRC could not survive it, Singapore could?  1 plus million of us, living in a tiny island with no natural resources, just got booted out of Malaysia, lowly educated, and low skilled....we can pull through because all we need to do is to NOT speak English but speak Mandarin?

(10-02-2023, 10:53 AM)Oyk Wrote:  Let's describe 1965 as it was.
*snipped*
I have not finished writing my composition yet...so, the Cultural Revolution started in 1966 and lasted for ten years.  Who here seriously believe that when PRC could not survive it, Singapore could?  1 plus million of us, living in a tiny island with no natural resources, just got booted out of Malaysia, lowly educated, and low skilled....we can pull through because all we need to do is to NOT speak English but speak Mandarin?

So here we are getting another long winded OT from the same poster Oyk who either has issue with ethnic Chinese and their cultures, or presented himself has some deeply religious Zealot.

Big Grin

(06-08-2022, 10:05 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Drag on ====>  Dragon
Are you aware that the dragon is Satan?  Which country is the dragon?

(09-02-2023, 11:30 AM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  pls tell me which PAP MP not tcss and wayang ?

Isn't that part of a basic prerequisite for any MP or politicians?

when u take money from private sector
and u coming from public sector

u must be trueful to yourself

when u take from own blood
no one can question u because all are robbers in the top

(12-02-2023, 01:03 PM)Talent Wrote:  when u take money from private sector and u coming from public sector
u must be trueful to yourself when u take from own blood no one can question u because all are robbers in the top

Everyone will be "truthful to themselves" when u know u will receive FAT dividends and RICHLY compensated by simply being a simboloc executive in a list firm that works closely with the Gov...If the guys and gals are playing the same Game of Revolving Doors politics in the World's "greatest" Democracy, why not tiny SG ?

...the fact that Biden's defence secretary Austin is a retired general who has been tapped to oversee an agency that is supposed to be run by civilians (although, when other candidates are so closely tied to the military industry, the line between civilian and non-civilian is blurred across the board).

Does "conflicts of Interest" ever matter ? Big Grin
https://inthesetimes.com/article/joe-bid...nd-capital

(09-02-2023, 11:30 AM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  pls tell me which PAP MP not tcss and wayang ?

only in the dream

(03-02-2023, 12:42 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  What I read from netizen, some logic here.

Wow Grab can retrench , yet can hire her ? Next her pay is = to many staffs been employ inside Grab.

So Grab retrench other staffs , the money save is to hire her just ONLY PAY ONE PERSON WAGE , EPIC.

She is what? As if hire her can save Grab ? JOKE More like " connection behind as GIC TS Holdings got shares on Grab "

I think that is what people say, Modern Day Slavery. The Union Chief Ng Chee Meng has nothing to say.

(12-02-2023, 12:47 PM)Manthink Wrote:  Isn't that part of a basic prerequisite for any MP or politicians?

I like the oxymoron you presented............... Clapping

(12-02-2023, 04:46 PM)debono Wrote:  I like the oxymoron you presented............... Clapping

Hardly - politicians aren't there to please ppl. They are there to win elections.

Just ask Anwar and his daughter...Is that a "conflict of interest" ? Nepotism or simply because the Gov doesn't care since election is over 3 years away ?

Big Grin

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/mal...er-3243226

(12-02-2023, 04:52 PM)Manthink Wrote:  Hardly - politicians aren't there to please ppl. They are there to win elections.

Just ask Anwar and his daughter...Is that a "conflict of interest" ? Nepotism or simply because the Gov doesn't care since election is over 3 years away ?

Big Grin

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/mal...er-3243226
PM Anwar appointing his daughter to high positions is nepotism and a conflict of interest, even though she had agreed to do it for free.......... Big Grin

(12-02-2023, 04:58 PM)debono Wrote:  PM Anwar appointing his daughter to high positions is nepotism and a conflict of interest, even though she had agreed to do it for free.......... Big Grin

Only 2 months ago, Anwar gov promised to cut the cabinet salary when he himself is also the finance minister. Ask your self - Got such thing as "free" meh ?  Big Grin

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/mal...ws-3122671

(12-02-2023, 12:45 PM)Manthink Wrote:  So here we are getting another long winded OT from the same poster Oyk who either has issue with ethnic Chinese and their cultures, or presented himself has some deeply religious Zealot.

Big Grin
Being long winded is spending HOURS repeating the same point over and over, albeit paraphrasing it each time so it does not sound like you are repeating.

Whatever a long winded person says can actually be said in one or two sentences nia.

On the contrary, my "OT" is rich in content.  Whenever I started a new paragraph, it is to deliver a new point or to build on the previous one (s).

It is such a powerful argument that you are left speechless.  Big Grin

Are you trying to tell us that Doctor Tan Cheng Bock was wayanging for decades before he decided to form PSP?

(13-02-2023, 09:50 AM)Oyk Wrote:  Being long winded is spending HOURS repeating the same point over and over, albeit paraphrasing it each time so it does not sound like you are repeating. Whatever a long winded person says can actually be said in one or two sentences nia. On the contrary, my "OT" is rich in content.  Whenever I started a new paragraph, it is to deliver a new point or to build on the previous one (s). It is such a powerful argument that you are left speechless.  Big Grin

yeah. I agree majority of your OT is "rich" with Emotional tantrum...and sometimes was left speechless with some of your "powerful argument".... Big Grin

(11-08-2022, 12:55 AM)Oyk Wrote:  I started and will not end either.  Yes, Satan is not a myth.
And the world will come to an End.  The time is near.

The King of the East will attack God's people but Christ will return to defeat his army.
He will be joined by the King of the North...which country lies north of Israel which is a superpower?  
Do not be cynical.  The Bible has prophesized all these events which are to come.

And just because you laupeh's laupeh arrived from a certain country, it does not mean that you have to defend it even if it is....... (you can fill in the dotted line)

[Image: silhouetted-christian-cross-silhouette-o...904831.jpg]

(13-02-2023, 11:00 AM)Manthink Wrote:  yeah. I agree majority of your OT is "rich" with Emotional tantrum...and sometimes was left speechless with some of your "powerful argument".... Big Grin

I started and will not end either.  Yes, Satan is not a myth.

The King of the East will attack God's people but Christ will return to defeat his army.
He will be joined by the King of the North...which country lies north of Israel which is a superpower?  
Do not be cynical.  The Bible has prophesized all these events which are to come.

And just because you laupeh's laupeh arrived from a certain country, it does not mean that you have to defend it even if it is....... (you can fill in the dotted line) Laughing

(14-02-2023, 06:42 PM)Oyk Wrote:  I started and will not end either.  Yes, Satan is not a myth.
He will be joined by the King of the North...which country lies north of Israel which is a superpower?  Do not be cynical.  The Bible has prophesized all these events which are to come.
And just because you laupeh's laupeh arrived from a certain country, it does not mean that you have to defend it even if it is....... (you can fill in the dotted line)
Laughing

LOL! Your post nicely help in deciding what should be on those "dotted lines" - I tend to let long-winded religious zealots like Oyk to have their last words.

Big Grin

(15-02-2023, 04:44 PM)Manthink Wrote:  LOL! Your post nicely help in deciding what should be on those "dotted lines" - I tend to let long-winded religious zealots like Oyk to have their last words.

Big Grin

Your faked  Big Grin did nothing to hide your insecurity, and above all, it betrayed your vain attempts at trying to wiggle away and save face.

You had been rebutted soundly and roundly for your Chinese chauvinism trying to promote CCP communism here.  You can call it whatever you think will save your face, including calling it "long winded" but readers can tell that every para is a point, and a slap in your face.  One liner posts would not do the job in rebutting a communist like you.  Yep, it has to be "long-winded". 

And you know you lost, so what do you do?  Launch personal attacks on me lor.  Is that not what you are now trying to do?  From calling me long winded to making fun of me as a God-fearing person....you are just trying to change the subject.  Tsk tsk.  Wink