Why slowing our pace of learning in school will get us ahead...

This is something I have looked at in depth & quite convinced.
At age 14, Singapore students ranked number 1 in maths and science....and in Isreal they rank 26....as these Israeli students grow older they will produce Nobel Prize winners and tech industry leaders...

If our education system is top in the world,  how come people trained in education systems of developing countries can fill jobs thatvour own people can't?

Broaden education and providing more opportunities and ways to get  university education can improve the chances for Singaporeans....our current turned out to be more like a flawed sorting process than to inculcate love of learning...it is worsened by a scholar elite system where some are chosen to and picked at an early age and others are not ...the whole system lowers expectations it has of ordinary students...

Putting alot of pressure on our students with early major exams that streams students into good and lousy schools is highly demaging and counter-productive..

If our leaders truly believe this high pressure in early years using PSLE to force competition  produce superior results then why is it they prefer to import people for high skilled jobs than to train our own people?....

Studies show that we have taken a wrong path and need to fix it. Below is a Ted talk that discusses some of the developmental science I talked about earlier.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

I have worked in Israel before and hence am somewhat qualified to comment on their people.

Israel is one of the most liberal countries in the world, and many of their citizens have very independent and liberal thinking. You can jump from one field to another, and people will give you chance. I've seen people who specialize in fish to go on and take charge of multi-million engineering projects. Singapore is no give chance, perhaps only to generals whom the govt think can parachute to any place without expertise.

Their very technical people can work for many years in their specialization, because they enjoy the work and their pay is no less than their managers. Compared to the situation in Singapore, people here aspire to be managers because managers here do less work and they determine the pay of the technical staff. Who here wants to do technical work then?

In Israel, subordinates are allowed to contradict their bosses, usually without fear of repercussion. In Singapore, subordinates here pander to their bosses and let them hear what they wish to hear.

(19-09-2021, 09:51 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Why slowing our pace of learning in school will get us ahead...

if PAP is a cat, is it possible to tell PAP not to eat fish ?

(19-09-2021, 10:04 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  I have worked in Israel before and hence am somewhat qualified to comment on their people.

Israel is one of the most liberal countries in the world, and many of their citizens have very independent and liberal thinking. You can jump from one field to another, and people will give you chance. I've seen people who specialize in fish to go on and take charge of multi-million engineering projects. Singapore is no give chance, perhaps only to generals whom the govt think can parachute to any place without expertise.

Their very technical people can work for many years in their specialization, because they enjoy the work and their pay is no less than their managers. Compared to the situation in Singapore, people here aspire to be managers because managers here do less work and they determine the pay of the technical staff. Who here wants to do technical work then?

In Israel, subordinates are allowed to contradict their bosses, usually without fear of repercussion. In Singapore, subordinates here pander to their bosses and let them hear what they wish to hear.

Work in Israel? Wow I never ever hear of people fr Singapore working there. Dubai yes but never Israel.

Anyway thanks for your insights. The idea  of challenging ideas in Singapore is non existent...when it comes to govt policy challenge hard  and you will find yourself in big trouble....attacked at all levels.....

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Singapore all lousy school except RI..how to produce expert..

Even RI is a lousy schools how about the rest rubbish?

I get the impression that RI train Thea don’t boosted individual ego to be arrogance and talk down on others. What so good about it?

(19-09-2021, 09:51 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  This is something I have looked at in depth & quite convinced.
At age 14, Singapore students ranked number 1 in maths and science....and in Isreal they rank 26....as these Israeli students grow older they will produce Nobel Prize winners and tech industry leaders...

If our education system is top in the world,  how come people trained in education systems of developing countries can fill jobs thatvour own people can't?

Broaden education and providing more opportunities and ways to get  university education can improve the chances for Singaporeans....our current turned out to be more like a flawed sorting process than to inculcate love of learning...it is worsened by a scholar elite system where some are chosen to and picked at an early age and others are not ...the whole system lowers expectations it has of ordinary students...

Putting alot of pressure on our students with early major exams that streams students into good and lousy schools is highly demaging and counter-productive..

If our leaders truly believe this high pressure in early years using PSLE to force competition  produce superior results then why is it they prefer to import people for high skilled jobs than to train our own people?....

Studies show that we have taken a wrong path and need to fix it. Below is a Ted talk that discusses some of the developmental science I talked about earlier.

education is just part of equation.

The most important thing is gene.

noble prize winners are born.

with average gene, education can only do so much.

good food cannot start with rotton meat.