With evictions resuming in US, tenants scramble for assistance

By MICHAEL CASEY

an hour ago

BOSTON (AP) — The eviction system, which saw a dramatic drop in cases before a federal moratorium expired over the weekend, rumbled back into action Monday, with activists girding for the first of what could be millions of tenants to be tossed onto the streets as the delta variant of the coronavirus surges.

The Biden administration had hoped that historic amounts of rental assistance allocated by Congress would help avert a crisis. But the distribution has been painfully slow: Only about US$3 billion of the first tranche of US$25 billion had been distributed through June by states and localities.

More than 15 million people live in households that owe as much as US$20 billion to their landlords

As of July 5, roughly 3.6 million people in the U.S. said they faced eviction in the next two months

Imondi said he and his tenant both filed forms for the billions in federal aid meant to help keep tenants in their homes but so far, he said, he hasn’t seen a cent of the state’s US$200 million share.

A retired general contractor, Imondi estimates he’s out around US$20,000 in lost rent since September, when he began seeking to evict his tenant for non-payment. The eviction was approved in January.

“I don’t know what they’re doing with that money,” Imondi said.

Luis Vertentes was told by a judge he had three weeks to clear out of his one-bedroom apartment in nearby East Providence. The 43-year-old landscaper said he was four months behind on rent after being hospitalized for a time.

“I’m going to be homeless, all because of this pandemic,” Vertentes said. “I feel helpless, like I can’t do anything even though I work and I got a full-time job.”

Chelsea Rivera showed up at Franklin County court Monday after receiving an eviction notice last month. A single mom, she’s behind US$2,988 in rent and late fees for the one bed-room apartment she rents for herself and three young sons.

The 27-year-old said she started to struggle after her hours were cut in May at the Walmart warehouse where she worked. She’s applied to numerous agencies for help but they’re either out of money, have a waiting list, or not able to help until clients end up in court with an eviction notice.

Around the country, courts, legal advocates and law enforcement agencies were gearing up for evictions to return to pre-pandemic levels, a time when 3.7 million people were displaced from their homes every year, or seven every minute

Phoenix with more than 42,000 eviction filings, Houston with more than 37,000, Las Vegas with nearly 27,000 and Tampa more than 15,000. Indiana and Missouri also have more than 80,000 filings.

Full report at: https://apnews.com/article/evictions-mor...fbd1dd298a

They can be evicted but not sue for bankruptcy. They can also counterclaims for giving poor living conditions.

The mention $20B owed    .After 911 they fought 2 wars and that cost trillions.
Never let country finances be over spent on military.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.