Woman who scanned QR code with malware lost $20k, downloaded a third-party app
Information 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/w...s-sleeping

Until they imposed a very heavy penalty, like life imprisonments, this sort of scam will never be eradicated.

CHAOS & Cityhantam are 2 sick CCP mother-fcuker bastards, who support Islamic radical Simplemen, aka Imran, who has been belittling Chinese, juz because their mothers like farking Hamas dogs

Thanks to the app she had downloaded, scammers used it to take over her device and moved $20,000 from her bank account.

Worryingly, she is not the only victim of such malware scams.

In April, the police and the Cyber Security Agency of Singapore warned the public about downloading apps from dubious sites that can lead to malware being installed onto victims’ mobile phones.

They said such malware has resulted in confidential and sensitive data, including banking credentials, being stolen.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(07-05-2023, 04:16 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Thanks to the app she had downloaded, scammers used it to take over her device and moved $20,000 from her bank account.

In April, the police and the Cyber Security Agency of Singapore warned the public about downloading apps from dubious sites that can lead to malware being installed onto victims’ mobile phones.

They said such malware has resulted in confidential and sensitive data, including banking credentials, being stolen.
Based on the above apparently the security of our bank software is weak. No need OTP...no need hardware token and crooks can just into bank account and take money out.

I donf think the woman should shoulder all the blame.

Our bank app security is just flawed.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

those china phones and apps are causing all these scam!

Scamming Singaporeans online, is now becoming a very lucrative business.

I scanned a few QR codes when shopping in Japan

All the laminated QR codes are given to me by the cashier

it was controlled and under the machine registrar

not those pasted outside the shops

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(07-05-2023, 04:16 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Thanks to the app she had downloaded, scammers used it to take over her device and moved $20,000 from her bank account.

Actually I've never seen any warnings from the police or CSA. Shouldn't they do more to do public education rather than just issuing advisories on their websites?

(07-05-2023, 04:19 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Based on the above apparently the security of our bank software is weak. No need OTP...no need hardware token and crooks can just into bank account and take money out.

I donf think the woman should shoulder all the blame.

Our bank app security is just flawed.

As I am a poor man who only has dreams which I implore you to tread carefully, my phone will sound because DBS will send me an SMS if there is any withdrawal above $200.

The SMS tells me to call the bank if the withdrawal was not made by me.

That woman is 60? Maybe just maybe we can say... sigh! the usual. Old peepur are not tech savvy and don't know such a goalkeeper exists.

But you are only 40 nia and I am surprised you also don't know.  Rolleyes

(07-05-2023, 05:18 PM)Oyk Wrote:  As I am a poor man who only has dreams which I implore you to tread carefully, my phone will sound because DBS will send me an SMS if there is any withdrawal above $200.

The SMS tells me to call the bank if the withdrawal was not made by me.

That woman is 60? Maybe just maybe we can say... sigh! the usual. Old peepur are not tech savvy and don't know such a goalkeeper exists.

But you are only 40 nia and I am surprised you also don't know.  Rolleyes

You use iphone, arh??

the bank IT engineer sold those loophole to scam syndicate

that why the scam syndicate can develop apps so easy

(07-05-2023, 05:19 PM)Ola Wrote:  You use iphone, arh??

I love the land of my forefathers and foremothers.

And I am very proud to be using a MIC phone.  Wink

(07-05-2023, 05:21 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  the bank IT engineer sold those loophole  to scam syndicate

that why the scam syndicate can develop apps so easy

IT is not an easy course. Needs brains to pass it.

Some peepur study it to create apps or whatever to cheat.

Cyber security is a constant battle of wits, of skills, of ingenuity between the good guys and the bad. Scammer who use IT to cheat are smart peepur. It's not easy to be one step ahead of them.

I understand that h4h studied cyber security. He keeps Singaporeans safe... Rotfl

(07-05-2023, 04:22 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  those china phones and apps are causing all these scam!

It;s on Iphone

Smile

(07-05-2023, 05:33 PM)Niubee Wrote:  It;s on Iphone

YES FAKE IPHONE

iPhone 14 Pro Max Clone Unboxing | Just ₹ 10,000 - It's Amazing ! - YouTube

(07-05-2023, 04:42 PM)Ola Wrote:  I scanned a few QR codes when shopping in Japan

All the laminated QR codes are given to me by the cashier

it was controlled and under the machine registrar

not those pasted outside the shops

What I am trying to say is

Can that idiot Jinx Teo tell all shops/ Town Councils . . . .to remove all the QR Codes outside the shops, at the  HDB lift lobby . . .etc?

Nowadays just download will be as good as trigger?

Better stop doing digital payments with QR codes until they strengthen the security

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

the whole thing is NOT about QR code, Gian Png/stupid user, irresponsible BBT shop and android phone vs  iphone. it about having the banks apps on the SAME device as the phone where u receive OTPS, it could still happen to u and me and anyone as long U have banks apps on your phone. The solution is to bring back hardware security token.

The first step the banks need to do is to send out the OTP.

You just need a back-end staff to copy the details and send them overseas. Just treat the hackers or thieves as dumb thieves. They only know how to copy, write down, remember and email out the details.

As for download apps, Malaysia had already banned links sent out in service providers' SMSes.

Amazing... 660mil each year for 2 years all from Sg only... We are famous globally without youth Olympics and F1... And govt did not have to spend a single cent...