Animal lovers unhappy with cat abuser's sentence

Isabelle Liew
PUBLISHED 4 HOURS AGO

A man who slashed 11 cats in Ang Mo Kio was sentenced last month to 12 weeks in jail. That punishment, say animal lovers, is not enough of a deterrent and they are calling for tougher penalties.

Commenting on the case, Cat Welfare Society president Thenuga Vijakumar said there were seven charges. While none of the cats died, "11 cats were severely injured and caregivers incurred a lot of costs".

"Twelve weeks is far too short, considering (he could have drawn) the full 18-month sentence. It doesn't reflect the severity of the crime, given the prolonged nature of his actions. He had put thought into it, with the buying of the penknife and deliberate hunting down of the cats."

Each count of animal cruelty carries a jail term of up to 18 months, a fine of up to $15,000 or both.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/c...%20charges.

I am unhappy with animal lovers who feed cats, birds, etc in my neighbourhood!

escooter killed old lady 12weeks

injured cats 12weeks

which one more serious?
[+] 2 users Like menghuii's post

(12-08-2021, 09:25 AM)menghuii Wrote:  escooter killed old lady 12weeks

injured cats 12weeks

which one more serious?

The  e-scooter is Malaysian man is favoured by Govt under FT #1 POLICY. 

How to compare? 

E-scooter rider jailed 12 weeks for causing elderly cyclist's death, Singapore News - AsiaOne

Those cat feeders that leave behind many rubbish after feeding are not being monitored at all.

Should jail those cats feeder as well left behind all the food and causes people get sick

(12-08-2021, 09:25 AM)menghuii Wrote:  escooter killed old lady 12weeks

injured cats 12weeks

which one more serious?

Both are living creatures and their lives matter. The cats killer is a serial killer _ the escooter is an accidental killer. Both should be given harsher punishment. 12 weeks definitely too light.

This car killer is dangerous and cud be a psychopath. Who in the right frame of mind wud go around killing cats? Better send him to IMH for checkup and lock away for good if needed........ Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(12-08-2021, 11:34 AM)Goldmine Wrote:  Both are living creatures and their lives matter. The cats killer is a serial killer _ the escooter is an accidental killer. Both should be given harsher punishment. 12 weeks definitely too light.

Singapore's punishment tend to be light relative to, say USA. I was wondering why about 3 decades ago and I came to the conclusion that Singapore wants to lower costs. Keeping prisoners cost money. In US, they can have harsher sentences as a lot of prisons are private and the companies can earn back via prison labour and services.

(12-08-2021, 11:42 AM)Levin Wrote:  Singapore's punishment tend to be light relative to, say USA. I was wondering why about 3 decades ago and I came to the conclusion that Singapore wants to lower costs. Keeping prisoners cost money. In US, they can have harsher sentences as a lot of prisons are private and the companies can earn back via prison labour and services.

Good idea to privatize our prison. Can go for international tender and eventually IPO them ..... Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(12-08-2021, 11:49 AM)Huliwang Wrote:  Good idea to privatize our prison. Can go for international tender and eventually IPO them ..... Rolleyes
 Privatised??? Corruptions will flourish.  Prisoners will get special treatment. Under table money changing hand.

(12-08-2021, 11:05 AM)Cmpunk Wrote:  Should jail those cats feeder as well left behind all the food and causes people get sick

They feed the cats not because of compassion but because of their own selfish desire for pleasure. They disregard the need to clear up properly after feeding. They purposely leave behind lots of food at strategic locations to lure cats, both owned by people and community to their feeding spot and derived pleasure out of it. The authority either do not care or cannot do much because they formed a group to argue and challenge.

(12-08-2021, 09:21 AM)cityhantam Wrote:  I am unhappy with animal lovers who feed cats, birds, etc in my neighbourhood!

Feeding is still fine.
The problem is the leftover plastic container/bag.
Nobody is going to clear away immediately.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"