trisha lost all her 68K sgd savings to OCBC phising scam

Being penniless and hungry on Christmas Day was not something that 33-year-old Trisha (not her real name), whose OCBC bank account was targeted by scammers through an SMS phishing scam on Christmas Eve last month, ever imagined could happen to her.

Like many others who received a text message disguised as an official message from the bank, the Singaporean clicked on a link in the fake message that exhorted her to activate the bank’s OneToken authentication  tool.

It brought her to another fake website, but one that, to her, looked convincingly like the bank’s internet banking login page.

Within minutes of her keying in her account information and one-time password (OTP), the scammers hijacked her OCBC bank account and drained it of S$68,000 — her entire savings. The bank could not reverse the fraudulent transactions.

For someone who works in the finance industry, is well-read in bank protocols and regulations, and is IT savvy, Trisha could not believe that she had fallen prey to a phishing scam.

.........One couple in their 40s, whose joint savings account was wiped of S$80,000, admitted that while they were at fault for compromising their bank account by divulging their account name and bank access code, they did not give the scammers any OTP or security token information.

More at https://shrtco.de/jND6Yz

Nice titties Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

Luckily, I couldn’t  login to my OCBC account, so I am safe from scammers. Rotfl
Good Job OCBC.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Is her meow meow smelly? Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

Why would ocbc allow digital banking unlimited transfer of funds? So far we heard 68k, 80k, 120k, 250k... If daily ATM is 3k and going to the bank they will question big amount transfer or withdrawal, why internet banking no limit? Isn't the limit for inter bank transfer at 10k and across accounts within same bank at 20k?

Why then the bank cannot stop suspicious transfer and why is the bank not liable for the losses??
[+] 1 user Likes Sticw's post

Heng ahhh I keep my monies in milo tin can Big Grin

I think through other banks online procedure there is no way a scammer can transfer so much money out by stealing log in credentials and one OTP like that.

Something is wrong with their system security.

Even if money is transferred why cannot be traced...and recovered?

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Luckily I dont have an ocbc bank account

8Umbrella Umbrella

(10-01-2022, 07:14 AM)Sticw Wrote:  Why would ocbc allow digital banking unlimited transfer of funds? So far we heard 68k, 80k, 120k, 250k... If daily ATM is 3k and going to the bank they will question big amount transfer or withdrawal, why internet banking no limit? Isn't the limit for inter bank transfer at 10k and across accounts within same bank at 20k?

Why then the bank cannot stop suspicious transfer and why is the bank not liable for the losses??

Good question. Could be insider job.

sack the pinoy IT security head there Big Grin

(10-01-2022, 08:42 AM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Good question. Could be insider job.

We mustn't rule out insider job......

Always put a low amount allowed for transfer. 
Limit to 1k.
If you need to transfer more, then increase the amount.
For own protection.

(10-01-2022, 07:17 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  Heng ahhh I keep my monies in milo tin can Big Grin
I think it is safer to dig a hole in the church grounds and bury the money there.....

(10-01-2022, 09:00 AM)debono Wrote:  I think it is safer to dig a hole in the church grounds and bury the money there.....

Rotfl

fucking scammers ... i know how it felt

now adays if the SMS or emails are from shit dunno who..F...k it, dont bother

if it is important call me

and they fucking do ... afew times

try to scam me on MS, told them to go F...k off and die

Don't trust any link in sms or WhatsApp or email or QR code. I dont even answer any calls not on my contact list.

Always type in the link yourself and check that it is legit.
[+] 1 user Likes RichDad's post

All banks must take full responsibility as they force digital,IT system into our throats to swallow. Their IT dept can be full of ex staff who knows the ins and outs of such system. This is worst than Lehman bonds stuffed into our throat.
[+] 1 user Likes A2Z's post

I never click on any links. And ignore the tonnes of wechat and telegram chats by purported chiobus avatars. Most probably just another ah tiong scammer Laughing

Ah tiongs hv moved from scam calls to sms scams.

(10-01-2022, 09:29 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  I never click on any links.  And ignore the tonnes of wechat and telegram chats by purported chiobus avatars.  Most probably just another ah tiong scammer Laughing

(10-01-2022, 09:32 AM)A2Z Wrote:  Ah tiongs hv moved from scam calls to sms scams.

Ah tiongs and ahnehs are all dirty buggers.......

(10-01-2022, 09:45 AM)debono Wrote:  Ah tiongs and ahnehs are all dirty buggers.......

and smelly Big Grin

(10-01-2022, 09:28 AM)A2Z Wrote:  All banks must take full responsibility as they force digital,IT system into our throats to swallow. Their IT dept  can be full of ex staff who knows the ins and outs of such system. This is worst than Lehman bonds stuffed into our throat.

now these banks especially DBS is the main culprit forced us to stop using physical tokens now can request to old way use token

Seems that only the local banks are have issues with their digital internet banking platforms.

What are experiences with the foreign banks?

What are the experiences in other countries? - don't seem to hear any issues there.

(10-01-2022, 10:03 AM)talky Wrote:  now these banks especially DBS is the main culprit forced us to stop using physical tokens now can request to old way use token

Best is to have the old ways, not IT ones.......use checks and physical cash to do transactions...

(10-01-2022, 10:04 AM)SGSeniorCitizen1952 Wrote:  Seems that only the local banks are have issues with their digital internet banking platforms.

What are experiences with the foreign banks?

What are the experiences in other countries? - don't seem to hear any issues there.

Other cuntries and foreign banks even worst. There we are talking about millions or billions lost and gone

8Umbrella Umbrella

(10-01-2022, 10:07 AM)klat Wrote:  Other cuntries and foreign banks even worst. There we are talking about millions or billions lost and gone

Can you please show such instances?

(10-01-2022, 10:07 AM)debono Wrote:  Best is to have the old ways, not IT ones.......use checks and physical cash to do transactions...

not that we want to abandon the old ways.but banks especially cecadbs forces u to use NEW WAYS.\

(10-01-2022, 07:17 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  Heng ahhh I keep my monies in milo tin can Big Grin

Sotong oso heng becos balance never exceed $100 after giro deductions. Blush

See my comment here

The more I read of this, the more I think it started with a hack into the OCBC system. Only that OCBC never admit or publicise it. There are five members in my house. Only my daughter who has an OCBC account receive such a message. Same as my nephew, he received a message because he has a OCBC acct.His wife did not have Ocbc account so did not receive.

CHAOS & Cityhantam are 2 sick CCP mother-fcuker bastards, who support Islamic radical Simplemen, aka Imran, who has been belittling Chinese, juz because their mothers like farking Hamas dogs

(10-01-2022, 09:27 AM)RichDad Wrote:  Don't trust any link in sms or WhatsApp or email or QR code. I dont even answer any calls not on my contact list.

Always type in the link yourself and check that it is legit.

Same here.  Can't trust any links from banks or CPF.