lost S$199,996 after downloading shopping app” as instructed by seller.

SINGAPORE — Once again, another victim has fallen prey to an online scam involving a malicious app and impersonation of a police official.

A 56-year-old woman in Singapore, who simply wanted to buy affordable drinks online, tragically ended up losing S$199,996 after downloading a deceptive “shopping app” as instructed by the seller.

The incident was reported by Lianhe Zaobao, a local Chinese media outlet, where the victim, Ms. Lee, shared her harrowing experience. Tongue

The self-employed individual came across a Facebook page for “grocery store” on 4 June, offering beverages at unusually low prices.

With an upcoming family gathering in mind, she messaged the seller privately (What a F...k!) on Facebook, providing her phone number and later communicating via WhatsApp. .

The victim grew suspicious after installing the app
The seller directed her to download their company’s mobile app to place an order. However, upon installing the app, she grew suspicious and chose not to respond further to the seller.

Subsequently, the seller claimed that a colleague had transferred S$20 to Ms. Lee’s account via PayNow (what a F...k - as a reward for opening an account.) 

What!@F...k. Despite the claim, Ms. Lee remained cautious and did not verify if the money had indeed been received.

Seeking advice, she consulted her nephew???, who shared her concerns and immediately advised her to uninstall the app... Thinking(What a F...k).
[+] 1 user Likes Tee tiong huat's post

The seller directed her (Simple minded She go download their company’s mobile app (place order.) She upon installing the app, (kenahl hell loll). 

she grew suspicious and chose not to respond further to the seller. Subsequently, the seller claimed that a colleague had transferred S$20 to Ms. Lee’s account via PayNow (what a F...k - as a reward for opening an account.)
[+] 1 user Likes Tee tiong huat's post

Payment for Tuition lesson Laughing

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

This means our banking apps have weakness as the 2 factor authentication is hackable.

Right now there are 134 cases...how many more cases before something is done.

Technically the hacker stole the money from the bank due to weak security of the bank app.

The bank should compensate all these people.

All these are caused by software design flaws when the banks decided to put the OTP on the phone instead of using a hardware token to save money.

Due to the irresponsible nature of our banks I have move my mom funds offline ....

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(20-07-2023, 08:12 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  This means our banking apps have weakness as the 2 factor authentication is hackable.

Technically the hacker stole the money from the bank due to weak security of the bank app.

All these are caused by software design flaws when the banks decided to put the OTP on the phone instead of using a hardware token to save money.

Due to the irresponsible nature of our banks I have move my mom funds offline ....

Good preemptive move.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(20-07-2023, 08:07 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Payment for Tuition lesson Laughing

Too freaking exorbitant tuition fees....

(20-07-2023, 08:18 PM)hansamu Wrote:  Too freaking exorbitant tuition fees....

Let’s look for Jo Teo and scold her Big Grin

agree with sgbutt

this is ridiculous

Just don download app from unknown source.

(20-07-2023, 08:12 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  This means our banking apps have weakness as the 2 factor authentication is hackable.

you mean reaches a stage until don't know who to trust? Big Grin

Could by syndicated from Bank staffs.