COVID-19: Cough could last for as long as six months after the viral infection

One of the things I try to prepare patients for is that it is very common to have symptoms after a bad infectious disease, especially if it hits the lungs. So, when a patient comes in, I ask them “could your symptoms be a part of healing?” The most common symptom that signifies healing is a lingering cough because coughing is your lung’s way of sweeping out dead cells. In the case of COVID-19, this cough could last for as long as six months after the viral infection, especially if the patient contracted Omicron because it is more airway dependent than the original strain.

Shortness of breath is another common healing symptom because, as your lungs heal, they aren’t going to be functioning at 100% yet. However, be sure to talk with your doctor to make sure that there is not something else going on as these symptoms, accompanied by others may signal something more serious.

Outside of the lungs, I commonly see fatigue in many of my patients. Once again, this can be a part of the healing process but, if it doesn’t self-resolve within three months, it may signal something bigger. Other possible symptoms range from cognitive impairment to loss of smell and taste.

https://www.lung.org/blog/managing-long-...l%20strain.