SG Talk

Full Version: LTA says old Card-Based Ticketing system is reaching end of its
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Transition to SimplyGo: LTA says old Card-Based Ticketing system is reaching end of its operational lifespan 

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/transition-sim...22034.html

Under new system, showing card balance on MRT fare gates would slow commuter traffic, so SimplyGo app is designed to do so.
(13-01-2024, 09:39 AM)Bigiron Wrote: [ -> ]Transition to SimplyGo: LTA says old Card-Based Ticketing system is reaching end of its operational lifespan 

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/transition-sim...22034.html

Under new system, showing card balance on MRT fare gates would slow commuter traffic, so SimplyGo app is designed to do so.

I can swear that those Bookworms have not taken the MRT before

Don't they know that it is not the card reader that is slow

BUT the gantry opening and closing?? 

Vote PAP to get Dozens of DumbAss.
so spend to upgrade the current system...
propbaly dont wanna spend
more and more ways to suck us dry and do big brother monitoring
SimplyGo is simply dumb.
Recently LTA got many things come to end of operational life hor? ERP lah now this ticketing system lah.

But never see their boss or their party come to end of their operational life?
Most govt projects have a POC by vendors and performance is one of the factors as it involve huge traffic volume. LTA statement is most likely internally vendors have conducted the poc and collected the stats and pass to them. To solve may require more monies for which vendor will bill to LTA.

Being in IT on both sides I know how the game is played. LTA being govt are given budget for the year but this monies are to be split among all the various ongoing concurrently projects. Unless SimplyGo is deemed of a much higher priority than other projects else they are limited by budget.

End of day is about monies. With the cake aka budget each year allocated to each ministry and stat board each of them just need to manage on their own.
(14-01-2024, 01:08 PM)sgh Wrote: [ -> ]Most govt projects have a POC by vendors and performance is one of the factors as it involve huge traffic volume. LTA statement is most likely internally vendors have conducted the poc and collected the stats and pass to them. To solve may require more monies for which vendor will bill to LTA.

Being in IT on both sides I know how the game is played. LTA being govt are given budget for the year but this monies are to be split among all the various ongoing concurrently projects. Unless SimplyGo is deemed of a much higher priority than other projects else they are limited by budget.

End of day is about monies. With the cake aka budget each year allocated to each ministry and stat board each of them just need to manage on their own.
Time for LTA to be transparent!
Show the member of public how they called for the tender process and their evaluation process! What they even put on their tender specification???
(14-01-2024, 02:46 PM)Buffybuffy Wrote: [ -> ]Time for LTA to be transparent!
Show the member of public how they called for the tender process and their evaluation process! What they even put on their tender specification???

You can look at Gebiz Singapore website a lot vendors go inside tender govt projects. It is for all kinds of projects not just limited to IT system kind. Then Spore govt take taxpayers monies (one way or another etc) will award to successful tender etc.

Question of whether intimate details of project specification and various vendor tender proposal I am not sure is available for public viewing. I work in both GLC and civil service before so have a taste of this long drawn out process.

All I know during my times years ago for IT system need 3 separate quotes. Was informed not to evaluate based on price but experience tell me hahaha. And a lot of vendors local are GLC e.g former top civil servant come out setup company bid govt projects the boss may even know the top ppl in some of the ministry and stat board also.

I know some are "forced" to setup as private companies as during one times Spore govt was encouraging entrepreneurship spirit and also to venture overseas to tender for foreign country projects. Having a "private" status may give foreign country think this is a private company bidding so perhaps evaluate it more favourably compared to say a govt company? That was during my times. Now is 2024 not sure the same pattern is still being deployed.
(14-01-2024, 03:48 PM)sgh Wrote: [ -> ]You can look at Gebiz Singapore website a lot vendors go inside tender govt projects. It is for all kinds of projects not just limited to IT system kind. Then Spore govt take taxpayers monies (one way or another etc) will award to successful tender etc.

Question of whether intimate details of project specification and various vendor tender proposal I am not sure is available for public viewing. I work in both GLC and civil service before so have a taste of this long drawn out process.

All I know during my times years ago for IT system need 3 separate quotes. Was informed not to evaluate based on price but experience tell me hahaha. And a lot of vendors local are GLC e.g former top civil servant come out setup company bid govt projects the boss may even know the top ppl in some of the ministry and stat board also.

I know some are "forced" to setup as private companies as during one times Spore govt was encouraging entrepreneurship spirit and also to venture overseas to tender for foreign country projects. Having a "private" status may give foreign country think this is a private company bidding so perhaps evaluate it more favourably compared to say a govt company? That was during my times. Now is 2024 not sure the same pattern is still being deployed.
Knowing our little red dot and the never changing party, it is at most change soup don’t change 
medicine
They can make such a big blunder without realising it..After it was pointed out to them, they still refuse to fix it.
I think should just sack whoever that approved such a system.
should be someone that have never taken public transport.
Or he maybe too rich to understand we, the commoner take public transport everyday, and it can take up quite a chunk of our salary.
I think displaying the deducted amount and balance on the card reader should be a prerequisite.
did fat iswaran through corruption adpot this system
maybe someone gave him something to adopt this system
just saw 2 threads on this subject begin removed.
why ?
who decides when any system become end of operation?
Card Balance:
Since SimplyGo has moved the card balance data to the server end, I think a workaround to show the card balance could still be done.
That is to piggyback the balance data field with the card validity check when the commuter is boarding a bus or entering a train station.
This will incur minimal additional load on the communication between the reader/gate and the SimplyGo server. 

Fare:
I notice that the bus reader shows the distance travelled in the SimplyGo webpage (below).
This means the reader or gate should have no problem computing the fare value base using this the distance value without probing the server.
For transfers, the cumulative distance traveled and cumulative fare deducted will need to be stored (cached) onto card for fast access in the next leg.

Even if the fare computation really needs to go to the server side, taking several seconds, a similar workaround like my balance display suggestion could be adopted by showing it when the commuter makes a transfer.

Eg. When a  commuter starts his trip by boarding a feeder bus, no fare will be displayed when exiting the bus.
However he will get to see the fare deducted for his bus trip at the fare gate of a train station when he is making a bus-to-train transfer.

https://www.simplygo.com.sg/transitioning-to-simplygo/

https://www.ptc.gov.sg/fare-regulation/b...-structure
(14-01-2024, 10:01 PM)sgxin Wrote: [ -> ]Card Balance:
Since SimplyGo has moved the card balance data to the server end, I think a workaround to show the card balance could still be done.
That is to piggyback the balance data field with the card validity check when the commuter is entering the bus or train station.
This will incur minimal additional load on the communication between the reader/gate and the SimplyGo server. 

Fare:
I notice that the bus reader shows the distance travelled in the SimplyGo webpage (below).
This means the reader or gate should have no problem computing the fare value base using this the distance value without probing the server.

Even if the fare computation really needs to go to the server side, taking several seconds, a similar workaround like my balance display suggestion could be adopted by showing it when the commuter makes a transfer.

Eg. When a  commuter starts his trip by boarding a feeder bus, no fare will be displayed when exiting the bus.
However he will get to see the fare deducted for his bus trip at the fare gate of a train station when he is making a bus-to-train transfer.

https://www.simplygo.com.sg/transitioning-to-simplygo/

https://www.ptc.gov.sg/fare-regulation/b...-structure

You have good suggestions. If you work for one of those vendors that is implementing the SimplyGo then it is worth a POC. Please note LTA say it is not cannot do it is performance issue.

Just to inform most if not all govt IT system has a performance criteria besides uptime SLA etc. I believe the vendor selected has proposed a way to show fare realtime but at a hit to performance.