SG Talk

Full Version: do u feel indebted n grateful to ntuc n pap govt for the many job training prog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
some say useless but tv propagate positively fr various sectors.
no
wasted my time
(13-12-2021, 11:51 AM)Talent Wrote: [ -> ]no
wasted my time

Agreed … bloody waste of time for mid career especially

Some of the "diploma" courses are more like introductory course. One of my team members took up the PM because of her skillfuture credits told us .. no one will hire you because of that. But maybe for entry level because you are introduce to PM terminology like Agile, WaterFall, Decision Tree …..
(13-12-2021, 11:59 AM)Tangsen Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed … bloody waste of time for mid career especially

Some of the "diploma" courses are more like introductory course. One of my team members took up the PM because of her skillfuture credits told us .. no one will hire you because of that. But maybe for entry level because you are introduce to PM terminology like Agile, WaterFall, Decision Tree …..

+1 here as well.

Never attend before, but all the people I know who attended those conducted by poly or private trainers all feedback it's useless. Very academic and 101 stuff that you can google on your own. 

One acquaintance attended a mid career diploma and all they did was ask her to write papers. When she questioned the poly how paper writing will help her make a career switch, the poly staff just told her to "go through motion" in order to get the training allowance. She told me she wrote 20+ papers each ~2000 words and got a useless diploma in the end.
These training programmes do create jobs. For the trainers and people working at WSG that is Wink
during lky time or even past 10 yrs ago no such nonesense of these programmes how come now got so many,
world wide competition for jobs now more jilak or any other factors ?
(13-12-2021, 12:43 PM)starbugs Wrote: [ -> ]These training programmes do create jobs. For the trainers and people working at WSG that is Wink

That is a fact... Clapping
Pls lah. How good u r all depends how well u can talk. If u farking useless dont blame the teachers!
The students must also have the right expectation. If they really think they can get a job because of some short-term courses then they're too naive.

Skillsfuture does help a person take a small step in a certain direction.
(13-12-2021, 01:23 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote: [ -> ]The students must also have the right expectation. If they really think they can get a job because of some short-term courses then they're too naive.

There r a few idiots here thinking that they will get a $5k job after attending a 5 days course. Dont laugh!

He's here and U will see me fark him all the time. Laughing
(13-12-2021, 01:23 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote: [ -> ]The students must also have the right expectation. If they really think they can get a job because of some short-term courses then they're too naive.

The problem is that's not the way the Skillsfuture courses are marketed, they are all promoted as mid career conversion courses with all the adverts / news articles reporting "touching" stories of how someone took a course and then found a new calling. Can we blame the students for being naïve when the courses fail to lift up to its claims?

Another thing of practical reality is many of its attendees have to find ways to make ends meet, they do not have unlimited time and resource to sit around attending a 6 -12 months diploma course only to be told this is just a "small step" in the right direction. That's why most end up driving PHV, food delivery or do SDA jobs - although these jobs have limited advancement potential, at least they provide instant livable income.
(13-12-2021, 01:31 PM)maxsanic Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that's not the way the Skillsfuture courses are marketed, they are all promoted as mid career conversion courses with all the adverts / news articles reporting "touching" stories of how someone took a course and then found a new calling. Can we blame the students for being naïve when the courses fail to lift up to its claims?

Another thing of practical reality is many of its attendees have to find ways to make ends meet, they do not have unlimited time and resource to sit around attending a 6 -12 months diploma course only to be told this is just a "small step" in the right direction. That's why most end up driving PHV, food delivery or do SDA jobs - although these jobs have limited advancement potential, at least they provide instant livable income.

so misinformed,half information passed,not true enough.
(13-12-2021, 01:31 PM)maxsanic Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that's not the way the Skillsfuture courses are marketed, they are all promoted as mid career conversion courses with all the adverts / news articles reporting "touching" stories of how someone took a course and then found a new calling. Can we blame the students for being naïve when the courses fail to lift up to its claims?

Can show me the article where the govt said you'll definitely find a job? Mid-career conversion is right pitch, since it's a step in that direction.

I've always said skills upgrading should be done when people have a job, not when they have lost one. But when I speak to sinkies who already have jobs, they're not keen to learn new skills. I think sinkies have to bear a big part of the responsibility of not having the right skills.

And it's better that the govt give you money than without to learn something right? Or you'd rather they don't?
Another way of looking at this is that the ruling party had failed to provide the necessary education in meeting the market demands.

Which resulted many jobs were unable to find the right local to fit in and therefore relies on “foreign talents” which becomes a convenient excuses for the employers to hire FTs.

Meanwhile created upgrading programmes to allow locals to get retrained, which eventually enriched those course providers. But for those who attended the courses ended up paying for a course that does not necessary promised them a position….

The ruling party created a problem which eventually allow them to enrich themselves but still sees employment issues. And this cycles continue to spin….
(13-12-2021, 01:41 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote: [ -> ]Can show me the article where the govt said you'll definitely find a job? Mid-career conversion is right pitch, since it's a step in that direction.

I've always said skills upgrading should be done when people have a job, not when they have lost one. But when I speak to sinkies who already have jobs, they're not keen to learn new skills. I think sinkies have to bear a big part of the responsibility of not having the right skills.

And it's better that the govt give you money than without to learn something right? Or you'd rather they don't?

Er... I think it goes without saying the government will not state explicitly you are promised a job after attending a course. I believe that's basic common sense that we don't need to repeat here. The problem here is the government apparatus has always strongly implied that these courses will help greatly in finding a new job in a new field once you've done them. 

How many times have we seen articles, adverts and Mediacorp dramas with the following plot lines:
1) Existing PME who used to do very well now face some difficulty in his/her job like getting retrenched, fired, horrible boss etc
2) He/she emo for a while and finally decided to be positive and upgrade and learn skills
3) He/she attended a government upgrading course
4) After the program, he/she found a new calling in a new job which is very satisfying and now very happily working

Now picture someone who really go to attend a 9 month diploma courses and found out it was very basic 101 academic text book and of not much value add. It's hard to expect this person to swallow this line of "oh that's just a first step in the right direction, please continue to upgrade more and in time you will be able to make a career switch". I suppose we can say adults should be more discerning and not take everything in the news and TV at face value, but surely there's an element of misrepresentation in this whole communication?

Also your rhetorical question of "And it's better that the govt give you money than without to learn something right? Or you'd rather they don't?" is a false premise to start with. Commenting on serious shortfalls of the program in not being able to lift up to its expectations means there is room for improvement that I think the government can reconsider. 

For e.g. is the communication too aggressive and out of touch? Are the training providers really adding value as opposed to simply milking the grants? How can polytechnics modify their courses to be more relevant instead of simply copy & paste from existing program for 17 year old students? Should there be some sort of quality review and tracking at the implementation level because right now all the focus seems to be only on funding and policy? 

I do not think deflecting criticisms with a standard "give you money you complain then I take away you happy?" is helpful. I have also feedbacked to the WSG manager who came down to my company to encourage our staff to sign up for courses, but sadly it's been some years and nothing much seems to have improved.

Last but not least, I do agree with your observations a lot of people rest on their laurels and never constantly upgrade their competencies. Panicking and starting to take action only when shiit hits the ceiling often makes things more difficult than it needs to be.
(13-12-2021, 06:25 PM)maxsanic Wrote: [ -> ]Er... I think it goes without saying the government will not state explicitly you are promised a job after attending a course. I believe that's basic common sense that we don't need to repeat here. The problem here is the government apparatus has always strongly implied that these courses will help greatly in finding a new job in a new field once you've done them. 

How many times have we seen articles, adverts and Mediacorp dramas with the following plot lines:
1) Existing PME who used to do very well now face some difficulty in his/her job like getting retrenched, fired, horrible boss etc
2) He/she emo for a while and finally decided to be positive and upgrade and learn skills
3) He/she attended a government upgrading course
4) After the program, he/she found a new calling in a new job which is very satisfying and now very happily working

Now picture someone who really go to attend a 9 month diploma courses and found out it was very basic 101 academic text book and of not much value add. It's hard to expect this person to swallow this line of "oh that's just a first step in the right direction, please continue to upgrade more and in time you will be able to make a career switch". I suppose we can say adults should be more discerning and not take everything in the news and TV at face value, but surely there's an element of misrepresentation in this whole communication?

Also your rhetorical question of "And it's better that the govt give you money than without to learn something right? Or you'd rather they don't?" is a false premise to start with. Commenting on serious shortfalls of the program in not being able to lift up to its expectations means there is room for improvement that I think the government can reconsider. 

For e.g. is the communication too aggressive and out of touch? Are the training providers really adding value as opposed to simply milking the grants? How can polytechnics modify their courses to be more relevant instead of simply copy & paste from existing program for 17 year old students? Should there be some sort of quality review and tracking at the implementation level because right now all the focus seems to be only on funding and policy? 

I do not think deflecting criticisms with a standard "give you money you complain then I take away you happy?" is helpful. I have also feedbacked to the WSG manager who came down to my company to encourage our staff to sign up for courses, but sadly it's been some years and nothing much seems to have improved.

Last but not least, I do agree with your observations a lot of people rest on their laurels and never constantly upgrade their competencies. Panicking and starting to take action only when shiit hits the ceiling often makes things more difficult than it needs to be.

Of course the govt will tell you that upgrading your skills give you a chance at changing career. What do you expect the message to be? 

It is on the individual onus to decide if taking a few classes will give them a job. It's just wishful thinking and naive of people to think like that it will.

"And it's better that the govt give you money than without to learn something right? Or you'd rather they don't?" is not a false premise because this is exactly what it is - you want the money or don't want? I think in the end you want the govt to say, "take the money to go for training but whether you get a job or not it's up to you". 

IMO, it's natural that the govt will come up with schemes and paint a rosy picture of them. Sinkies seriously need to think for themselves than always depend on the govt.

Come on lah, don't be so critical of every attempt of the govt. It may not be perfect but at least people benefitted from it. When the govt is deserving of criticism we should criticize but credit should be given where it deserved.