SG Talk

Full Version: Singaporeans on “expensive food and drink” they think are no longer worth it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Singaporeans on “expensive food and drink” they think are no longer worth it; even cai fan and hawker food is not spared

https://theindependent.sg/singaporeans-o...ot-spared/
Clapping Thumbsup
I realised that past more than 1 year, most hawker, coffee shop and food court standards have dropped drastically. The taste is mostly flat and just salt which no longer has “shiok” feeling.
Keep raising price then cut back on ingredients. Also need to clear dishes wipe table. Swiss standard living
this is not a swiss standard. please stepped down
Patronised Qiji nasi lemak in serangoon mall, they are notorious for cutting back on rice. I told them the rice too little and ask them to add more. They say top up rice must pay extra. Please boycott them.
Dam Long I never eat satay liao....so expensive ....Really miss good old days 80s and 90s....my parents still can buy 50 to 100 sticks with rice somemore , gravry a lot also till next time I used to mix with rice eat.

during those period hawker foods also increase but not like now so much.

I remember good old days satay cost 20 cent per stick. Now so call " cheapest " I think is 80 cent. Whereas quite a lot now sell one stick one dollar....
worth it and must eat is different thing
unless want to eat insect..
That was why insect food is recommended
In future eat insects also expensive
Edwin Tong & disGraceful's Unesco Hawker Culture

Can make Malaysia laugh now
(20-07-2024, 09:32 PM)Harry Lee Wrote: [ -> ]Keep raising price then cut back on ingredients. Also need to clear dishes wipe table. Swiss standard living

Goh Chok Tong promised S'poreans a Swiss standard of living, but all we got so far is the Swiss cost of living.
(20-07-2024, 07:53 PM)Wy:Nox Wrote: [ -> ]I realised that past more than 1 year, most hawker, coffee shop and food court standards have dropped drastically. The taste is mostly flat and just salt which no longer has “shiok” feeling.

The hawkers must be cutting back on their use of MSG. LOL!
(21-07-2024, 01:03 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]Goh Chok Tong promised S'poreans a Swiss standard of living, but all we got so far is the Swiss cost of living.

He happy going to retire in RICH liao. Obviously he is the next so call SM going to step down.
Most hawkers cite rising rental and price of ingredients to justify selling overpriced dishes in small portions which mostly consist of rice and noodles to fill the customers' bellies.
(21-07-2024, 01:05 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote: [ -> ]He happy going to retire in RICH liao. Obviously he is the next so call SM going to step down.

You think woody going to step down ah? Good for nothing  in my opinion .
PAP F&D ponzi scheme
(22-07-2024, 12:35 AM)bobby Wrote: [ -> ][Image: nudie.gif]

Hawker food is losing its taste these days owing to the cutback on quality ingredients since profit is the most important consideration. It is no longer "belly" good like in the good old days.
(20-07-2024, 07:53 PM)Wy:Nox Wrote: [ -> ]I realised that past more than 1 year, most hawker, coffee shop and food court standards have dropped drastically. The taste is mostly flat and just salt which no longer has “shiok” feeling.

Absolutely. Remember those days when the hawker assistance will bring the food to your table. Now not only you have to bring your own food even you are seated right in front of the store, you now have to now clear your own dishes ! And the stupid minister still toying with idea for diner to clean the tables . 

If anyone is to argue otherwise that the price would even be higher... then the question is what has the gov do to bring down the cost of hawker food? Has profiteering department prosecuted any so far? The gov is themselves the greatest profiteer if you ask me. They lead all price increases. 

It only fattens the hawkers' profit now made worst with smaller portions with increased price. I can only see hawkers are really exploiting and profiteering more and more... especially after CDC vouchers. Sad day for singapore.
Still many people are buying and eating hawkers food
Even in shopping mall seats are mostly taken up
(22-07-2024, 09:24 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]Hawker food is losing its taste these days owing to the cutback on quality ingredients since profit is the most important consideration. It is no longer "belly" good like in the good old days.

No Ajinomoto or pork fat oil taste lots of difference
They use palm oil
So what's left if no cai png
(22-07-2024, 10:39 AM)Lukongsimi Wrote: [ -> ]No Ajinomoto or pork fat oil taste lots of difference They use palm oil

The hawkers also use their palms to prepare the food, and the same palms to collect money from customers.
Cheap quality ingredients and oil used by food establishments and hawker centres to alleviate costs - the real reason why singkies are dying young.

Pap got blood in their hands.
(22-07-2024, 06:50 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]The hawkers also use their palms to prepare the food, and the same palms to collect money from customers.
Even use their saliva spit on palm n rub into drink maybe mix into food
Then can get that extra taste
when interviewed few years back, they want this want that, free wifi, air-con... etc, now they only afford mac? looks like the nex gen are going to pay higher healthcare tax due to over consumption of fast food and instant noodles.
[Image: nudie.gif]
There are some hard truth in this. Last time a lot of peasant kia food like cai png are still affordable despise the rise in cost of living, but these dazes after a series of price hike especially in the last few years, the pricing ish no longer considered as affordable to consume daily.

Take moi workplace for example, the typical 2 meat 1 veggie cai png these days easily can cost over $5 per plate, plus drink easily one meal $6+ $7+. Before wuhan epidemic the same dish moi only need to pay $3~4 nia, with drink still can maintain around $5+ per meal. But nao to afford meal with similar price tag, moi mostly have moi lunch at Mcd for their $5 and $5.50 set meal instead. Sad

Actually many used to be cheap traditional or local dish ish really so overpriced these dazes that it ish not really worth it to jiak regularly anymore. Like roti prata, fried carrot cake, you tiao, cheeken rice, wanton mee, fishball nooble, bak chor mee etc. Naoadays these dishes are more like luxury items that you will try once as really becoming too exp to consume frequently. Like moi area the roti prata plain alone ish already $1.50 per pcs, the you tiao ish also $1.50 per pair, really hard to jiak frequently.
Muah chee
Chee cheong fun
Chui kway
You char kway
Chicken wings
Dumpling aka bah chang
Prata
Bengawan solo
Swee heng

I find the above not worth the $ and over price.

Feel free to add on if you can think of more
(22-07-2024, 07:03 PM)Alice Alicia Wrote: [ -> ]Cheap quality ingredients and oil used by food establishments and hawker centres to alleviate costs - the real reason why singkies are dying young. Pap got blood in their hands.

The significant rise in cancer cases among our young may be attributed in part to eating out far too often. Looking at all the recipes available online, whipping up restaurant or hawker centre type of dishes is an open secret. My family creates similar chicken rice, laksa, seafood/beef hor fun, black pepper/chilli crab, fried rice, Penang char kway teow etc. at home for a fraction of the cost and w/o MSG or reused cooking oil.   
(23-07-2024, 07:54 AM)Buffybuffy Wrote: [ -> ]Muah chee
Chee cheong fun
Chui kway
You char kway
Chicken wings
Dumpling aka bah chang
Prata
Bengawan solo
Swee heng

I find the above not worth the $ and over price.

Feel free to add on if you can think of more
The first 4 and prata are just flour, no nutritional value. Not worth to spend the money.
Pages: 1 2