SG Talk

Full Version: Only $4 left: Single mum loses $28k after phone gets hacked,
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Only $4 left: Single mum loses $28k after phone gets hacked, realises she has 2 Chromes installed, Singapore News - AsiaOne

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/only-4...1691643533
Lousy bank apps...more and more ways to hack into them..

Bring back hardware token

Because banks wanted to save money they reduce our security
Quote:According to the police, Chen had likely clicked on an advertisement in Facebook that downloaded the malware without her knowledge.
The hacker first logged into her bank account on July 15, adding a payee to her list to circumvent the alerts that would be created upon transfers being made.

Then on July 18, five transactions took place, including a loan for $20,000. Her total losses amounted to $28,000.
Aside from the payee addition, the hackers cleared their tracks by deleting transaction records both in her bank account and in the SMS notifications she would have received.

Her case wouldn't happened if the bank had issued her a hardware token.
Without the latter, the next best option imo will be to use 2 SIM cards, with one installed into a dumb senior phone and dedicated for SMS OTPs and notifications.
(10-08-2023, 07:42 PM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]Lousy bank apps...more and more ways  to hack into them..

Bring back hardware token

Because banks wanted to save money they reduce our security

MAS n mof DO NOT SEE THESE AS BIG PROBLEMUNTIL MORE N MORE GRIEVANCES ARE BROUGHT TO THE GOVT
Who is the head of IT in this bank?
I cannot understand
how they log in with her I'd and pw
PAP themselves bo-charp

So even the banks also bo-charp

What is the point of having a Corrupted- free PAP

that allows others to be corrupted at our expense?

Vote them out!

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/singapore...r-AA1eZuCM
Which bank no say! Only say Google chrome.
(10-08-2023, 07:57 PM)Talent Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot understand
how they log in with her I'd and pw

Keylogger in the chrome
Scary sial. Lucky I keep my money in milo tin Sad
How come another Chrome installed without her knowledge? She must have allowed it, cannot be automatically installed by clicking on an ad.

Again, don't anyhow install apps. Only trust playstore if must install.
For those aged 55 and above, there should be restrictions on transfer oversea unless over the counter.

Local transfers can easily be tracked.
(10-08-2023, 08:00 PM)p1acebo Wrote: [ -> ]Scary sial.  Lucky I keep my money in milo tin Sad

Mine in khong guan biscuit tin
(10-08-2023, 08:11 PM)RichDad Wrote: [ -> ]How come another Chrome installed without her knowledge? She must have allowed it, cannot be automatically installed by clicking on an ad.

Whether it's installed with or without her knowledge the system has to be secure enough to withstand hacking.

The money was stolen from the bank because the bank eliminated hardware token to save money.....there are lapses in the security design...that allow an attack.
(10-08-2023, 08:11 PM)RichDad Wrote: [ -> ]How come another Chrome installed without her knowledge? She must have allowed it, cannot be automatically installed by clicking on an ad.

There is a need to be aware not to install any application or link from Google search. For those using I-phone wud be very safe as any downloading of Apps wil be directly from Apple store.
After reading, it is actually an ad in Facebook! She clicked and had to update Chrome.

But her bank is really careless to allow $20k transaction several times in a day. The banking system is sleeping.
A lot of old people don't know how on earth the apps, email and smartphones work.
My phone has this message

Update Chrome
Newer Version is available

Also I have message on my phone saying you have 35 updates.  

So far I ignore them.
(10-08-2023, 08:11 PM)theold Wrote: [ -> ]For those aged 55 and above, there should be restrictions on transfer oversea unless over the counter.

Local transfers can easily be tracked.

Yes, I agree.

Just set- up Service Branch for only one service for withdrawal at each estate 

Banks happily abused low savings interest rates for past 20 years

It is PAYBACK time

Cannot reply on Useless Shoot Blank Queen.
(10-08-2023, 08:49 PM)Goldmine Wrote: [ -> ]My phone has this message

Update Chrome
Newer Version is available

Also I have message on my phone saying you have 35 updates.  

So far I ignore them.
You are smart and IT savvy. Nowadays, updates are prone to installing malware virus that cud see all activities on the mobile. Even WhatsApp prompt me to update, I ignored it.
(10-08-2023, 09:50 PM)Gemstar Wrote: [ -> ]You are smart and IT savvy. Nowadays, updates are prone to installing malware virus that cud see all activities on the mobile. Even WhatsApp prompt me to update, I ignored it.

I also prompted by WhatsApp to update to new version within 13 days. I ignore them too.

The photos in the gallery are not restricted to your eye only. It is also view by others . Why do I say that. I had a photo taken with my dog.  The same photo was edited to perfection with only my dog right in the centre of the photo with the exact same background behind. I was perfectly edited out of the picture. Another thing is all other photos were re-arranged to album, Cute dogs with all my dog photo in one place. Who created the folder titled "Cute Dogs". Scary that people can read/see what u doing and stored in yr phone.
I thought we have always been advised to "update" whatever in the system so as to make our mobile and PC more efficient. 

Is this not the case now ?
Big Grin Under pillow for me
(10-08-2023, 10:55 PM)Goldmine Wrote: [ -> ]I also prompted by WhatsApp to update to new version within 13 days. I ignore them too.

The photos in the gallery are not restricted to your eye only. It is also view by others . Why do I say that. I had a photo taken with my dog.  The same photo was edited to perfection with only my dog right in the centre of the photo with the exact same background behind. I was perfectly edited out of the picture. Another thing is all other photos were re-arranged to album, Cute dogs with all my dog photo in one place. Who created the folder titled "Cute Dogs". Scary that people can read/see what u doing and stored in yr phone.
Since whatsapp is functionable, I don't see any necessity to update.
This Govt is complacent as ever. Every minute we lose to scammers, there will be new victims.
Worst, some old people employed lawyers to sue technology companies for the invasion of privacy. The lawyers happily accept them because they can charge more but funny work done.
I have taken my mom off online banking because the banks and regulators are negligent. All the do is blame victims...ytd there are already thousands of systems.

The problem started with banks remove hardware tokens.
And failing to secure their apps after that.

So when will something be done ...how many vulnerable Singaporeans have yo suffer from the lapses?

Or are we to continue victim blaming behavior and deny responsibility.
(10-08-2023, 07:59 PM)Buffybuffy Wrote: [ -> ]Which bank no say! Only say Google chrome.

Who told her never updated her Google chrome. I checked and updated it whenever I always log it into computer. Rotfl
Latest version now is 115.xxxx

Microsoft edge will update by itself.

Ppl always like to point finger but did not realise the actual problem is lied on them.
人笨是没药医的。
[Image: IMG-9292.jpg]
Singapore Banks are truly making this country THIRD world. Lagging behind from scammers every month is not acceptable.
Pages: 1 2