SG Talk
I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - Printable Version

+- SG Talk (https://sgtalk.net)
+-- Forum: SG Talk (https://sgtalk.net/Forum-SG-Talk)
+--- Forum: Market Talk (https://sgtalk.net/Forum-Market-Talk)
+--- Thread: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. (/Thread-I-purchased-the-HS-Tech-ETF-0-953-today-here-s-why)

Pages: 1 2

I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - sgbuffett - 27-12-2021

There was a piece of news that came out on Friday afternoon.

https://www.scmp.com/business/china-business/article/3161045/chinas-new-vie-rule-eases-concerns-about-overseas-ipos

This news has several parts . One is new IPOs need to register for approval before listing overseas if they have more than 1M users. The second part is the regulation will not apply retroactively to existing listings on foreign exhanges.

The above gives clarity and puts away the fears surrounding the forced delisting of foreign listed China stocks.

Despite the significance of the news due to market holiday in HK, the market makers for HSI CFD and HS Tech ETF did not adjust the prices to reflect this news.

I thought there should be some upside.

Bought HS Tech ETF....which was trading flat.
[Image: TJKdYRH.jpg]

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - Zannn - 27-12-2021

(27-12-2021, 02:40 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  There was a piece of news that came out on Friday afternoon.

https://www.scmp.com/business/china-business/article/3161045/chinas-new-vie-rule-eases-concerns-about-overseas-ipos

This news has several parts . One is new IPOs need to register for approval before listing overseas if they have more than 1M users.  The second part is the regulation will not apply retroactively to existing listings on foreign exhanges.

The above gives clarity and puts away the fears surrounding the forced delisting of foreign listed China stocks.

Despite the significance of the news due to market holiday in HK, the market makers for HSI CFD and HS Tech ETF did not adjust the prices to reflect this news.

Usually traders will factor in such upside if there is, and there should not likely be trades that sells below market value. If so, meaning that’s the market value when open tomorrow.

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - Zannn - 28-12-2021

(27-12-2021, 02:40 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  There was a piece of news that came out on Friday afternoon.

This news has several parts . One is new IPOs need to register for approval before listing overseas if they have more than 1M users.  The second part is the regulation will not apply retroactively to existing listings on foreign exhanges.

US listed China shares went down instead.

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - sgbuffett - 28-12-2021

(28-12-2021, 03:55 AM)Zannn Wrote:  US listed China shares went down instead.

Darn, you are right. They initially rose then fell slightly.
But looking at the pattern it's not just China stocks but losing tech stocks were sold and those big tech went up.

Nasdaq index is up a lot. Could be tax loss selling....

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - klat - 28-12-2021

Jialat, going down to 0.93

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - Zannn - 28-12-2021

Seem like this trade u can’t contra short term. But underlying market is indeed getting stronger

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - sgbuffett - 28-12-2021

(28-12-2021, 11:22 AM)Zannn Wrote:  Seem like this trade u can’t contra short term. But underlying market is indeed getting stronger

In general market seems okay but there is some selloff of tenecent and EV stocks . Tencent could be due to fear of govt dismantling its cross holdings....and EV due to fears of drawdown of domestic  consumption.

Right now we are having a backdrop of a slowing China economy with regulatory uncertainty.

But I did expect some strength in China tech since much of the selloff of last 3 weeks relates to delisting ...so some clarity would.be expected to lift the market but it did not happen.

Any the China market is largely retial players which means short term moves can be large and irrational.

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - Zannn - 29-12-2021

(28-12-2021, 12:10 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  In general market seems okay but there is some selloff of tenecent and EV stocks . Tencent could be due to fear of govt dismantling its cross holdings....and EV due to fears of drawdown of domestic  consumption.

Right now we are having a backdrop of a slowing China economy with regulatory uncertainty.

But I did expect some strength in China tech since much of the selloff of last 3 weeks relates to  delisting ...so some clarity would.be expected to lift the market but it did not happen.

Any the China market is largely retial players which means short term moves can be large and irrational.

Hsi looks to break recent low, Hsi tech will be lower. Bro u shd cut loss for this Hsi tech buy

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - sgbuffett - 29-12-2021

(29-12-2021, 01:13 PM)Zannn Wrote:  Hsi looks to break recent low, Hsi tech will be lower. Bro u shd cut loss for this Hsi tech buy
I will keep.

But you are right ...worst may not be over.

All the buyers of HK tech all run for the hills.
Environment is mix of regulation uncertainty, China slowdown ...

A simple recession or crisis is easier to read than this.

(29-12-2021, 01:23 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I will keep.

Baba will break 110

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - ROFLMAO - 29-12-2021

You are hurting the feeling of our wumao gang in this forum Rotfl

Think today crucial, if cannot close higher from current pt, more down to come.

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - talky - 29-12-2021

BELOW GUPPY MMA ,BLOW MACD,SOCHASTICS COMING DIWN DIRECTIONAL MOVEMENT BEARISH
NOT A SINGLE INDICATOR  TELLING IS WORTHY TO BUY

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - sgbuffett - 29-12-2021

(29-12-2021, 01:56 PM)Zannn Wrote:  Think today crucial, if cannot close higher from current pt, more down to come.

I would not put any importance to daily movement.

All stock carry risks ...Alibaba can be a $50 stock or $250 stock 6 months from now ...all these are possibilities we have to deal with and prepare for.

China tech stocks look cheap and low valuation. Past lessons in investing tells us when others fear we should buy...its a good strategy to use but results are not guaranteed...as future carry high uncertainty. ...

We decide on action based on best data at hand. The future we cannot control

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - starbugs - 29-12-2021

The HS Tech Index is still 50% above the level in August 2019. It is not cheap, especially considering XJP is still cracking down on tech companies.

https://www.hsi.com.hk/eng/indexes/all-indexes/hstech

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - Stoki - 29-12-2021

(29-12-2021, 02:16 PM)starbugs Wrote:  The HS Tech Index is still 50% above the level in August 2019. It is not cheap, especially considering XJP is still cracking down on tech companies.

It is very, very cheap as compared to US tech stocks

So DYODD

(29-12-2021, 02:16 PM)starbugs Wrote:  The HS Tech Index is still 50% above the level in August 2019. It is not cheap, especially considering XJP is still cracking down on tech companies.

don't think u can go back like this and say stock not cheap 

These tech companies have evolved from 4 yrs ago through rapid growth. Even with XJP clampdown..all major tech stocks grew this year and are expected to grow next yr ...onlybrate kf growth slows due to China slowdown

(29-12-2021, 02:19 PM)Stoki Wrote:  It is very, very cheap as compared to US tech stocks

So DYODD

Agree, fair to compare with current valuations across.

(29-12-2021, 03:27 PM)Zannn Wrote:  Agree, fair to compare with current valuations across.

Cheap or expensive does not mean stock will go up or down in short term or  long-term just that your odds are better.buying at good valuations

Look at Katie Woods fund ..ARKK people say expensive it kept going up and up and slap critics jn the face then it started falling and falling now down 45:% from peak within a few months.

HK Tech is reverse of ARKK...it keeps going down despite so many people saying it js cheap slapping them in the face....when it hits bottom and turn there is nobody ringing bell to tell you. ...few months later people wake io and realise it has risen a lot but most were too scared to buy. With so much fear and heavy shorting of stocks in the index It can just suddenly up one day and leave most investors out...

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - Zannn - 31-12-2021

(29-12-2021, 04:00 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Cheap or expensive does not mean stock will go up or down in short term or  long-term just that your odds are better.buying at good valuations

Look at Katie Woods fund ..ARKK people say expensive it kept going up and up and slap critics jn the face then it started falling and falling now down 45:% from peak within a few months.

HK Tech is reverse of ARKK...it keeps going down despite so many people saying it js cheap slapping them in the face....when it hits bottom and turn there is nobody ringing bell to tell you. ...few months later people wake io and realise it has risen a lot but most were too scared to buy. With so much fear and heavy shorting of stocks in the index It can just suddenly up one day and leave most investors out...

It’s been years since Hsi decouple from US, today may be a start of Hsi upside

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - sgbuffett - 31-12-2021

(31-12-2021, 08:05 AM)Zannn Wrote:  It’s been years since Hsi decouple from US, today may be a start of Hsi upside
May be years or a year  

For long term always buy markets with lower CAPE ratios lower PE and closer to book value  . It may take 1yr or 5 yrs or 8yrs but risk profile is lower.

Before Asian crisis Asian PE was 28 and US below 18. The next 20yrs the 2 markets reverse what was hot became cold and what was cold before hot.

Same with Japan it was the king from 1960-1989 when it's PE reached above 40....then next 20yrs bust 

At today's price and based on its GDP growth the US markets return is 3% per year in the future unless FED further inflate the bubble.

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - Stoki - 31-12-2021

Shoot up today. Year end dressing up?

Those who bought at 0.953 and below huat liao

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - Gstalk - 31-12-2021

Went up by more than 3% today. A good start to the new year

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - sgbuffett - 31-12-2021

(31-12-2021, 10:23 AM)Stoki Wrote:  Shoot up today. Year end dressing up?

Those who bought at 0.953 and below huat liao

I didn't make much.
It's not yr end dressing BTW.
When the do yr end dressing they will sell stocks that perform  all and buy stocks that did well to fool investors to think they are good.

The other type is to last 15 min push up their largest holdings a bit so their annual performance is slightly better 

Today many stocks open high and stayed high but they already did this on 30 Dec in US trading and today in HK js just continuation

China govt regulation ended the yr with many IT workers getting retrenched as less investments entered the sector.

[Image: 09Kiu5n.jpg]

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - Zannn - 03-01-2022

(31-12-2021, 04:03 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  China govt regulation ended the yr with many IT workers getting retrenched as less investments entered the sector.

[Image: 09Kiu5n.jpg]

First trading day HK all slam down again.

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - ROFLMAO - 03-01-2022

Layoff age getting younger and younger for China tech industry

[Image: 1yk4VSS.png]

[Image: emxpWS6.png]

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - winbig - 03-01-2022

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-03/shares-suspended-from-trading-in-hong-kong-evergrande-update

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - Zannn - 06-01-2022

(29-12-2021, 04:00 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Cheap or expensive does not mean stock will go up or down in short term or  long-term just that your odds are better.buying at good valuations

Hsi n Hsi tech really very scary keep dropping breaking lows.

RE: I purchased the HS Tech ETF@0.953 today...here's why. - sgbuffett - 06-01-2022

(06-01-2022, 10:31 AM)Zannn Wrote:  Hsi n Hsi tech really very scary keep dropping breaking lows.
It has fallen 6% from where I bought.
I am not able to have a crystal ball to predict when China givt will do something that causes people to sell and k also do not know when they will stop their actions

So above is the risk of investing in these stocks.

One can try to guess/predict when is end of the bad news. We only know for sure when looking back at this period a few years  from now..

Maybe all the worst regulatory actions already out.

But the rapid fire of bad news...one thing i am sure the valuations are low and that is good enough for me.to buy.

Cheap may get cheaper and expensive may get more expensive...jn the near termJust like last year all the Cathie Woods stocks rose 1st 2 months of 2021 and people can make money but if you buy for long term you burn in pain....

I think for China Tech stocks it is reverse situatio Sentiment js very poor near term and we see weakness biu the picture further out will be different