SG Talk
Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - Printable Version

+- SG Talk (https://sgtalk.net)
+-- Forum: SG Talk (https://sgtalk.net/Forum-SG-Talk)
+--- Forum: Market Talk (https://sgtalk.net/Forum-Market-Talk)
+--- Thread: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find (/Thread-Cholesterol-drug-cuts-coronavirus-infection-by-70-researchers-find)

Pages: 1 2

Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - abc123 - 07-08-2021

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cholesterol-drug-cuts-coronavirus-infection-133526795.html

A drug meant to treat cholesterol was found to reduce infection by 70% in lab studies, with researchers calling for additional clinical trials among hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
A team of researchers from the U.K. and Italy findings in the Frontiers in Pharmacology journal Friday, finding that fenofibrate and fenofibric acid resulted in a significant reduction in coronavirus infection in human cells when the drug was used in safe and approved concentrations, according to a posted Friday.
"Our data indicates that fenofibrate may have the potential to reduce the severity of COVID-19 symptoms and also virus spread," Dr. Elisa Vicenzi of the San Raffaele Scientific Institute in Milan and co-author, said in the release. "Given that fenofibrate is an oral drug which is very cheap and available worldwide, together with its extensive history of clinical use and its good safety profile, our data has global implications."
The team called for added clinical trials to explore use of the drug as a potential COVID-19 therapy, while noting studies are ongoing at the University of Pennsylvania and Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Dr. Farhat Khanim of the University of Birmingham and corresponding study author, cited viral variants spurring rising infection rates and deaths in countries around the world.
"Whilst vaccine programmes will hopefully reduce infection rates and virus spread in the longer term, there is still an urgent need to expand our arsenal of drugs to treat SARS-CoV-2-positive patients," Khanim wrote.
Another author noted that significant proportions of populations in most low-and-middle countries will likely go unvaccinated until 2022.
"Whilst vaccination has been shown to reduce infection rates and severity of disease, we are as yet unsure of the strength and duration of the response. Therapies are still urgently needed to manage COVID-19 patients who develop symptoms or require hospitalisation," Dr Alan Richardson, of Keele University in the UK, wrote in part.
The drug was suggested to work by inhibiting the harmful overproduction of cytokines tied to coronavirus infection, and also treat airway inflammation. Additional properties could prevent blood clotting seen in late-stage disease in many COVID-19 patients, study authors noted.

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - Fleetdestroyer - 07-08-2021

[Image: BFE36460-1-FB8-47-DA-8992-EB73-A1717-DBA.jpg]

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - winbig - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 11:45 AM)abc123 Wrote:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/cholesterol-drug-cuts-coronavirus-infection-133526795.html

A drug meant to treat cholesterol was found to reduce infection by 70% in lab studies, with researchers calling for additional clinical trials among hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
A team of researchers from the U.K. and Italy findings in the Frontiers in Pharmacology journal Friday, finding that fenofibrate and fenofibric acid resulted in a significant reduction in coronavirus infection in human cells when the drug was used in safe and approved concentrations, according to a  posted Friday.
"Our data indicates that fenofibrate may have the potential to reduce the severity of COVID-19 symptoms and also virus spread," Dr. Elisa Vicenzi of the San Raffaele Scientific Institute in Milan and co-author, said in the release. "Given that fenofibrate is an oral drug which is very cheap and available worldwide, together with its extensive history of clinical use and its good safety profile, our data has global implications."
The team called for added clinical trials to explore use of the drug as a potential COVID-19 therapy, while noting studies are ongoing at the University of Pennsylvania and Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Dr. Farhat Khanim of the University of Birmingham and corresponding study author, cited viral variants spurring rising infection rates and deaths in countries around the world.
"Whilst vaccine programmes will hopefully reduce infection rates and virus spread in the longer term, there is still an urgent need to expand our arsenal of drugs to treat SARS-CoV-2-positive patients," Khanim wrote.
Another author noted that significant proportions of populations in most low-and-middle countries will likely go unvaccinated until 2022.
"Whilst vaccination has been shown to reduce infection rates and severity of disease, we are as yet unsure of the strength and duration of the response. Therapies are still urgently needed to manage COVID-19 patients who develop symptoms or require hospitalisation," Dr Alan Richardson, of Keele University in the UK, wrote in part.
The drug was suggested to work by inhibiting the harmful overproduction of cytokines tied to coronavirus infection, and also treat airway inflammation. Additional properties could prevent blood clotting seen in late-stage disease in many COVID-19 patients, study authors noted.

If true then really pity those guinea pigs who jabbed mRNA vaccines. Have to live with fear of long term side effects, if any.

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - Huliwang - 07-08-2021

The thing is cholesterol drugs shorten ones life and this is a bigger problem than covid...... Rolleyes

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - dynamite - 07-08-2021

Is it statin?

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - Ernesto - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 12:05 PM)Huliwang Wrote:  The thing is cholesterol drugs shorten ones life and this is a bigger problem than covid...... Rolleyes

Not really. It depends on one lifestyle's formula.

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - OLT - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 12:02 PM)winbig Wrote:  If true then really pity those guinea pigs who jabbed mRNA vaccines. Have to live with fear of long term side effects, if any.

U go ask anyone injected with mrna, see whether the long term side effect is in their mind or not.

meanwhile. u ask those unvax.. wat's in their mind whenever they visited a crowded place..

btw, we still have... maybe another 2-3 years b4 this pandemic subside....

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - sgbuffett - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 12:05 PM)Huliwang Wrote:  The thing is cholesterol drugs shorten ones life and this is a bigger problem than covid...... Rolleyes

Hi are you guessing of you know this for sure.?
My block has many elderly on chlorestrol and high blood   living above 80s.

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - Ernesto - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 12:57 PM)OLT Wrote:  U go ask anyone injected with mrna, see whether the long term side effect is in their mind or not.

meanwhile. u ask those unvax.. wat's in their mind whenever they visited a crowded place..

Dunno pandemic or ppl subside. Big Grin

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - OLT - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 01:16 PM)Ernesto Wrote:  Dunno pandemic or ppl subside. Big Grin

lol if pple subside den really duatiao... but den again.. the hc/mrt not so crowded.

Rotfl

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - Huliwang - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 01:06 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Hi are you guessing of you know this for sure.?
My block has many elderly on chlorestrol and high blood   living above 80s.

This my personal observation. You must find out when they start taking the drug and for how many years already. From those I knew they mostly died within 15 years after taking the drug starting with swelling legs. ..... Rolleyes

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - wulala - 07-08-2021

so many drug manufacturer claiming their drugs effectiveness
most important is to stay physically healthy and mentally sound.
if the leaders around the world are willing to come together and share their findings and formula on the effectiveness and produce the right antidotes, guess by now the pandemic is behind us liao. ....lol

(07-08-2021, 01:26 PM)Huliwang Wrote:  This my personal observation. You must find out when they start taking the drug and for how many years already. From those I knew they mostly died within 15 years after taking the drug starting with swelling legs. ..... Rolleyes
I believe many always have mindset once you can control by medication, they can live normally . They dun realize if their lifestyle and diet dun change , it actually cause more damage to their organ's function. Just like today for ppl who are vaccinated.They always assume they are protected but they are the one spread virus like fire.

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - abc123 - 07-08-2021

https://youtu.be/OZxgDNYisXw

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - WhatDoYouThink? - 07-08-2021

even can work 100% but will garments approve it?

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - sgbuffett - 07-08-2021

If its cheap they will not bother to validate it as there is no money to be made.

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - winbig - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 12:57 PM)OLT Wrote:  U go ask anyone injected with mrna, see whether the long term side effect is in their mind or not.

Even if they have a constant nagging worry about the side effects of mRNA, they'll also not tell and put on a brave front lah. What's the point of asking?  Rotfl

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - OLT - 10-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 03:40 PM)winbig Wrote:  Even if they have a constant nagging worry about the side effects of mRNA, they'll also not tell and put on a brave front lah. What's the point of asking?  Rotfl

LOL then i suppose those unvac will be the same.. AIYA BUAY TIO EH LAI.... den secretly go 7-11 buy ART kit go home ownself test.

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - menghuii - 10-08-2021

no thks..

What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Fenofibrate?

Side effects associated with use of Fenofibrate, include the following:

Increased liver function tests (LFT's) (dose related)
Respiratory disorder
Abdominal pain
Back pain
CPK increased
Headache
Constipation
Nausea
Runny or stuffy nose

Postmarketing side effects of fenofibrate reported include:

Muscle pain
Muscle disease
Muscle inflammation
Diarrhea
Gas (flatulence)
Pancreatitis
Peptic ulcer
Cholelithiasis
Central nervous system (CNS) depression
Abnormal heart rhythms
Peripheral vascular disease
Blood clot in the lung (pulmonary embolus)
Kidney damage
Rash
Anemia
Low white blood cell count (leukopenia)

This document does not contain all possible side effects and others may occur. Check with your physician for additional information about side effects.

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - WhatDoYouThink? - 10-08-2021

it's easy to verify the claim as many ppl are taking cholesterol medications

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - Blasterlord2 - 10-08-2021

Many cholesterol drugs have side effects. If can don't take then don't take. All medicine has some poison in it. We're just using one evil to patch the hole of another evil.

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - WhatDoYouThink? - 10-08-2021

[Image: Screenshot-20210810-154359-Chrome.jpg]

there are many plants to reduce cholesterol, why takes medicines?

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - sgxin - 10-08-2021

(10-08-2021, 03:45 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  there are many plants to reduce cholesterol, why takes medicines?

How about plants, herbs or food that can increase HDL?
Seems to me that this cholesterol drug (fenofibrate and fenofibric acid) works by increasing the HDL rather than lowering the LDL.

Fenofibrate increases HDL-cholesterol by reducing cholesteryl ester transfer protein expression
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17525476/

COVID-19—Associated dyslipidemia: Implications for mechanism of impaired resolution and novel therapeutic approaches
https://faseb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1096/fj.202001451
Quote:The measurement of plasma lipids and lipoproteins is a critical part of the current approach to CVD risk management. Low HDL-cholesterol (HDL-C) is a strong predictor of CVD progression21, 22 and serves as a biomarker for increased risk of all-cause mortality and nonfatal myocardial infarction, even in statin-treated patients.

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - Sticw - 10-08-2021

(10-08-2021, 03:30 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Many cholesterol drugs have side effects. If can don't take then don't take. All medicine has some poison in it. We're just using one evil to patch the hole of another evil.

The fucking problem is that doc found out my cholesterol level at 5+, but that MRI similar scan showed nothing blocked and my heart very strong on track mill test and ECG nothing abnormal. Then they put me on cholesterol med, within a couple of months the reading drop to 2. Then I started having heart tightness and I stop taking the med. The heart tightness went away. Then 3 months later they test and the reading jumped back to 5+. 

They now switch me to another med...

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - OLT - 10-08-2021

(10-08-2021, 04:28 PM)Sticw Wrote:  The fucking problem is that doc found out my cholesterol level at 5+, but that MRI similar scan showed nothing blocked and my heart very strong on track mill test and ECG nothing abnormal. Then they put me on cholesterol med, within a couple of months the reading drop to 2. Then I started having heart tightness and I stop taking the med. The heart tightness went away. Then 3 months later they test and the reading jumped back to 5+. 

5+ is total or LDL only?

(10-08-2021, 04:14 PM)sgxin Wrote:  How about plants, herbs or food that can increase HDL?
Seems to me that this cholesterol drug (fenofibrate and fenofibric acid) works by increasing the HDL rather than lowering the LDL.

Fenofibrate increases HDL-cholesterol by reducing cholesteryl ester transfer protein expression
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17525476/

COVID-19—Associated dyslipidemia: Implications for mechanism of impaired resolution and novel therapeutic approaches
https://faseb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1096/fj.202001451

duno about that. simple common food like bitter gourd not only good for reducing cholesterol, but aso help control diabetes:

[Image: Screenshot-20210810-163814-Chrome.jpg]

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - Blasterlord2 - 10-08-2021

(10-08-2021, 04:28 PM)Sticw Wrote:  The fucking problem is that doc found out my cholesterol level at 5+, but that MRI similar scan showed nothing blocked and my heart very strong on track mill test and ECG nothing abnormal. Then they put me on cholesterol med, within a couple of months the reading drop to 2. Then I started having heart tightness and I stop taking the med. The heart tightness went away. Then 3 months later they test and the reading jumped back to 5+. 

I will always take herbs before any medication. and luckily, all my herbs work so far. Once you get started with drug you'll be very dependent on it and there's almost no way of not relying on it in the future. Avoid it if you can but sometimes it's unavoidable. esp. when it's too serious.

but doc would never tell you to do that. it's easier, risk free for them and benefits the economy if just prescribe the std medications. same may aso applies to whatever viruses

(10-08-2021, 04:53 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  but doc would never tell you to do that. it's easier, risk free for them and benefits the economy if just prescribe the std medications. same may aso applies to whatever viruses

Can't blame the doctors. They're trained to tell you the 'right' way, and herbs to them is not the right way. If there's a delay in treatment that results in a bad outcome they'll be penalized so why risk it.

RE: Cholesterol drug cuts coronavirus infection by 70%, researchers find - Sticw - 10-08-2021

(10-08-2021, 04:37 PM)OLT Wrote:  5+ is total or LDL only?

I was told my ldl too high even if my hdl is good. Actually I have high cholesterol, diabetes (6.2), very good blood pressure (maybe even low blood pressure cos each time I squat down and stand up I like faint...). Sian..