650 customers file RM650mil class-action suit against CIMB

Quote:In February, CIMB claimed a processing error by a remittance service led to fund transfers made to customers being wrongly credited twice. As a result, the bank earmarked affected accounts to recover the duplicate sums, which led to frozen accounts.

In their defence following a similar suit filed by the 12 account holders on Feb 28, CIMB said it had not violated any contract with its account holders as the bank was free to debit or put on hold any account as they wished.

The bank said as a result of the duplicate credits, the account holders had been “unjustly enriched” at the bank’s expense, with account holders not alerting the bank over the duplicate amounts in their accounts.

CIMB said it was allowed to recover the duplicate sum as it was legally and contractually entitled to do so.

If the above account is true. Tye bank is merely recovering money that it double credit to accounts by mistake.

I don't see any case to fight for the account holders. Surely they cannot expect to keep the extra money?

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Messages In This Thread