What causes ageism at the work place?

Govt keep stressing that people work to above 60yo.
But 70% of PMET employees retrenched are those above 40yo.

There is all the govt talk and then there is reality on the ground. And the truth which has different version goes like this..

1. When one joins a company esp those who never change job, every year the get annual increment, sometimes promotion ...

2. If you stay long enough you get promoted to far as you can go and has a long stretch to stay at that "final position".

3. Yr after Yr you get annual increment until you cross 50yo...now you are really old. Regardless of "longevity" the 50yo now is same as 50yo in 1970s when people retire at 52-55yo. Why people used to retire in 50s is the decline in productivity and mental capacity. Do you see any 50yo runner in Olympic 100m final.

4. The employer look at this 50yo guy and another 35yo guy. The 50yo guy accumulated 15yrs of annual increment and is in decline ....the 35yo is cheaper and probably can do the job.

5 it is economically logical to move the 50yr out and make way for the 35yo to maximise profits.

6. That is why 70% of PMETs retrenched are above 40. Employers will make use of retrenchment exercise to improve their workplace demographics. Or simply kick the older guy out.

7. There has been many studies done and the only way to secure the job of older workers is to have a very tight labor market. If the employer gets rid of older workers he will not be able to replace him or have to pay much higher to employ a new staff. Only then he will keep older staff on his payroll.

8. We have been listen to our leaders say they was to solve ageism problem year after year. 15yrs later the problem is not solved and got worse. Then they try to do a PR type solution to say older workers are valuable so it is foolish to retrench them. This campaign is not rooted in reality but wishful thinking...it never works. They re living in ivory towers.

9. Our elderly simply end up doing jobs young people don't want ...that is why so many end up as cleaners and cardboard collectors.

10. Often we wonder why this govt keep failing in many areas ....often they don't look at facts and reality.

[Image: S2GkWQ2.jpg]

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

Messages In This Thread
What causes ageism at the work place? - by sgbuffett - 17-09-2021, 05:08 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by Ola - 17-09-2021, 05:12 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by sgbuffett - 17-09-2021, 05:13 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by sgbuffett - 17-09-2021, 05:18 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by forum456 - 17-09-2021, 08:22 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by Ola - 17-09-2021, 05:18 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by Symmetry - 17-09-2021, 05:42 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by Galilo_l - 17-09-2021, 06:55 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by Sharexchange - 17-09-2021, 08:39 PM