What causes ageism at the work place?

Why is ageism so acute in Singapore.

Quote:Sadly, age discrimination is rife all over the world and particularly in Singapore. The Singapore Government allows foreigners into the country rather freely suppressing wages and intensifying competition. I am all for competition, but there must be a limit to things for long term stability and sustainability. The current state of play in Singapore is that employers hire mostly the cheap, young and willing, because they get away with age discrimination, then fire them once they hit 40 years old. This is not sustainable because no one, even the arguably hungrier foreigners will remain cheap, young and willing long term. They too will grow old, start families and spend time raising families (therefore turning 'less willing').

I believe this is a common story in most developed countries. 

If you are an employer or hiring manager, do give the older workers a chance. Judge them based on their merits and not your preconception. It is not only one person you are affecting, but entire families that rely on your decision. Older workers are usually more loyal and patient, and most of all more experienced. You can't accelerate experience. It takes 20 years to have 20 years of experience.

http://michael-chua.blogspot.com/2017/05...s.html?m=1

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Messages In This Thread
What causes ageism at the work place? - by sgbuffett - 17-09-2021, 05:08 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by Ola - 17-09-2021, 05:12 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by sgbuffett - 17-09-2021, 05:13 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by sgbuffett - 17-09-2021, 05:18 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by forum456 - 17-09-2021, 08:22 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by Ola - 17-09-2021, 05:18 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by Symmetry - 17-09-2021, 05:42 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by Galilo_l - 17-09-2021, 06:55 PM
RE: What causes ageism at the work place? - by Sharexchange - 17-09-2021, 08:39 PM