WHY CAN’T SINGAPOREANS FILL THE SKILLS GAP?

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/ex...hon-debate

Several WP MPs questioned the ability of Singapore’s education system to address this issue.

Leader of the Opposition Pritam Singh said: “Some ask, 'Why can’t our people do those jobs?' After all, our students score so well on standardised tests. Our much-vaunted education system should have put our workforce in a much better position.”

The Government also needs to track and solve the issue of underemployment, which occurs when workers are not undertaking work for which they are trained, such as an engineer working as a private-hire car driver, Mr Singh said.

His party colleague and fellow Aljunied Group Representation Constituency MP Gerald Giam also noted how the 3,100 places in information and digital technologies undergraduate degree courses last year cannot meet the 20,000 new tech jobs that are in demand each year.

While it is laudable that so many tech jobs are being created, how much does this benefit Singaporean workers if our people are not equipped with the skills to fill them? It will lead to disappointment both by the companies investing in Singapore and our own people,” Mr Giam said.

Addressing this, Mr Wong said that these arguments about providing quality education miss out on the most important issue, which is the “stark reality” that while Singaporeans make a great workforce, “there are just not enough of us”.

“We have (manpower) needs in information technology. We have tremendous needs in engineering. Look at the services sector: Healthcare is growing, we need more people to look after our elderly population. We need more doctors, nurses. We need more physiotherapists. Oh, by the way, low-income issues are a problem, don't we need more social workers, too?” Mr Wong asked.

As for the underemployment question, he said that the Government is already doing its best to train all the mid-career PMETs, highlighting existing efforts in the SkillsFuture movement and the work of the Government’s tripartite partners, which are the unions and employers. However, this does not happen overnight.

“Individuals also have to make the effort in order to make these transitions… It is hard work getting this re-skilling done, and we should not just automatically assume that squeezing foreigners means jobs will go to Singaporeans,” he added.
[+] 1 user Likes forum456's post

Paging for that Fcked face retarded LJ called Jac. Your favourite topic to show your LJ on your head.

Please use your wife's CCBAI to give a comment like a fool.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

[Image: nudie.gif]

Our education system failed. Cannot keep up with the times in subjects they teach.
[+] 1 user Likes Sharexchange's post

WP raised a good point.. If we keep claiming we got first class education system, our students keep winning in awards internationally, why we can't fill the skill gap..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..
[+] 1 user Likes ArielCasper's post

(17-09-2021, 11:09 PM)ArielCasper Wrote:  WP raised a good point.. If we keep claiming we got first class education system, our students keep winning in awards internationally, why we can't fill the skill gap..

You cannot win them with this argument. They've just say that although we're good, there's not enough of us, so how do you counter that?

As for why we cannot fill the gap, they'll say that our people are not interested in the job. You cannot prove that this is not the case.

That's why I said WP is lame.

Why is there a Gap in the first place?

Gaps to be target for training and support.... it is a life long plan and we can't wait for it to happen anytime.

(18-09-2021, 09:24 AM)FangFang Wrote:  Gaps to be target for training and support.... it is a life long plan and we can't wait for it to happen anytime.

Now it shd not be called gaps, it shd call craters? Thinking
So many good jobs go to foreigners?

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Gaps once filled, new gaps will appear. This is not a one time gap filling. So Singapore lang must reproduce continuously to be successful in gap filling. ....... Big Grin

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

Sg education system is working well and totally not be blamed at all so please don't even think of that possibility?

Sg always select the cream of the cream and send the best to education?

Over the years our young population performed very well and continue to do well don't you see?

Youngsters continue to train and learn from imported foreign talents even after graduation and continue to function as they were taught at school without fail and that is to learn? 

So we need the foreign talent to continue to teach our graduates under the lifelong training schemes that our beloved leadership so nicely planned since early childhood education correct?

So please stop the speculation that the education system is a failure because as you can see with your own eyes our graduates are really still learning as planned don't you agree?

(18-09-2021, 12:59 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  You cannot win them with this argument. They've just say that although we're good, there's not enough of us, so how do you counter that?

As for why we cannot fill the gap, they'll say that our people are not interested in the job. You cannot prove that this is not the case.

We don't need to win them, we just the people to think and rationalize and act in next election.

The not enough part is the easiest to counter. Who control the uni, who control MOM. Did this problem happened yesterday? If no, who is sleeping on the job to not resolve it? 

As for people not interested, also easy to counter. Firstly, don't let govt mixed up FT and FW to confuse you. Yes, Singaporean don't want to do FW job, no doubt. But FT job? You sure Singaporean don't want?

Lastly, I alway support WP to just be a good estate manager and don't propose anything until they win enough seat. Coz anything they say, people will just say they are lame. When election comes, go ask people in the ward, whether they remember

1. The estate improvement that they ward have
2. The things that their MP proposed or debate in parliament

I am sure 95% will chose 1.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

We have many lousy schools, how go produce good graduates?

I replied to one thread yesterday. He said Japan has famous Floating Airport that is used everyday for many years while Singapore only has a Floating Platform used once a year for NDP.

Because that company hire mostly CECA who are not real talents. What can they teach our fresh grads??

Maybe they should not be called talents at all.

Win the World but lost your Soul. 

(17-09-2021, 10:04 PM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Our education system failed. Cannot keep up with the times in subjects they teach.

I don't think our education system has failed. What has failed is the mindset of people in Singapore. Universities cannot teach you everything, only the basics plus some more advanced topics. It is up to people to gain their expertise through further self-learning or in their jobs.

If we dissect this topic at The Core, The Flesh, The Apple Skin

II) THE FLESH-

Mid- career have all the skills, but Companies don't want.
Because Employment Pass allows them to freely transfer FTs who works in other overseas subsidiaries
India offices is often 30 to 50 larger than SG office and any 2% of them can replace all of us

Singapore do not have 20 million offices in the 20 Sectors like India
We will never be able to reach that 99% Skills Fit like them

PAP refuse to allow citizens to fill in the gaps
That is why they encourage 21 Job Discrimination for past decade
Where TAFEP & TADM close 2 eyes

=> PAP drives Skills Fit will kill our citizens in their job search and career

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 2 users Like Ola's post

(18-09-2021, 12:59 AM)cBlasterlord2 Wrote:  You cannot win them with this argument. They've just say that although we're good, there's not enough of us, so how do you counter that?

How can our Graduates not good enough and cannot fill the gaps. We are one of the top 10 education system of the world and Singaporeans scored the top post (world No 1) IQ, beating China, USA and india and many countries. With these two factors  and we are still unmatchable to CECA, this is something very wrong and only implying,

1 MOE education system does not match the business environment

2 MOM is unwilling to unwind what is comfortable to them
[+] 1 user Likes kc172021's post

(18-09-2021, 02:04 PM)kc172021 Wrote:  How can our Graduates not good enough and cannot fill the gaps. We are one of the top 10 education system of the world and Singaporeans scored the top post (world No 1) IQ, beating China, USA and india and many countries. With these two factors  and we are still unmatchable to CECA, this is something very wrong and only implying,

1 MOE education system does not match the business environment

2 MOM is unwilling to unwind what is comfortable to them

Let's not deceive ourselves by saying that our IQs are higher than those in other countries. We can say we're better educated, but really IQ is something we cannot change. The problem with thinking that we have higher IQs lead to a hubris attitude that we deserve all the good things by our own merit, and others have no contributions to them.

We may be better educated, but we don't have superior working attitude. In every organisation that I went to, perhaps only 20% of the people are motivated and willing to add value to themselves and the organisation; the other 80% have a bo chap attitude.

It is undeniable that we need foreigners who are talented to help level us up. I have worked with some who are really very good and we could not hope to reach their level without help. We cannot say that because our people are educated we close ourselves off. 

No matter now MOE finetune their curriculum, if the people are not motivated there's nothing MOE can do to upgrade their skills. Let's work on our own motivation instead of blaming MOE.

(18-09-2021, 09:33 AM)Huliwang Wrote:  Gaps once filled, new gaps will appear. This is not a one time gap filling. So Singapore lang must reproduce continuously to be successful in gap filling. ....... Big Grin

The largest gap is between what Vacancies and how many Employment Pass.

I doubt Generic jobs have serious gap problems and no employment pass should be issued for most cases.

Win the World but lost your Soul.