Netizens expressed skepticism about Singapore's latest "Budget Meal"

Netizens expressed skepticism about Singapore's latest "Budget Meal" Initiative aimed at addressing food price hikes, citing high rents at hawker centres as a fundamental issue. Some suggested the government should abandon open bidding for hawker stalls to address these concerns effectively.

https://gutzy.asia/2024/07/02/netizens-u...nt-issues/
[+] 1 user Likes Bigiron's post

Budget meal bo hojiak. Mean high costs is the desired way of life for sinkees as they keep giving them the mandate . Shouldn't they ask themselves why the costs are so high.

gov ask for high rent here there, how stall owner and we survive. S&CC charge.also increased, talk but no solution.

(02-07-2024, 09:48 PM)Bigiron Wrote:   Some suggested the government should abandon open bidding for hawker stalls to address these concerns effectively.

Very good suggestion

8Umbrella Umbrella

The coffee shop nearest to my block is only left with 3 Stalls as the other 3 had closed down.

(02-07-2024, 09:48 PM)Bigiron Wrote:  Netizens expressed skepticism about Singapore's latest "Budget Meal" Initiative aimed at addressing food price hikes, citing high rents at hawker centres as a fundamental issue. Some suggested the government should abandon open bidding for hawker stalls to address these concerns effectively.

https://gutzy.asia/2024/07/02/netizens-u...nt-issues/

Stalls monthly rentals are very high for hawkers lah! Big Grin So they pass the buck to customers lah!

They only way for price to fall.ks demand to dro

If hawker increase price by 15% and people still continue eating at tbe stall, then why would he NOT increase price???

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(03-07-2024, 06:41 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  They only way for price to fall.ks demand to dro

If hawker increase price by 15% and people still continue eating at tbe stall, then why would he NOT increase price???

I can tell you if demands dropped, price will not fall but the hawker affected will close shop. 
The reason is because he will lose money if his price fall as his overheads are astronomical nowadays with the main portion going to rental, then workers salaries, then raw material cost in this order. 
Of course there will be some who are not much affected by the overhead cost but kept increasing due to greed like kopi shop towkay increasing his kopi O kosong to 1.20 per cup and 50 cents for a cup of plain tap water.     Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung
[+] 1 user Likes Huliwang's post

(03-07-2024, 06:15 PM)Wy:Nox Wrote:  The coffee shop nearest to my block is only left with 3 Stalls as the other 3 had closed down.

Same here.

烧腊stall closed. Cai png stall closed and another opened. 肉挫面 closed, taken over by Yong Tau Foo stall which also closed. Zichar is struggling to stay alive. Mala is still around. A western food stall is struggling.

What's wrong? The place is jinxed? 

No. 

It's lack of customers. We are finally seeing the effects of our low birth rate. The older generation are eating less hawker food due to the three highs. The yanger generation has shrunk. New citizens don't fancy bak chor mee or yong tau foo.

Observer = KILLjoy = starbugstk = Dan = lvlrsSTI = OWNER.
Trying so hard to find my Archilles Point wor. Hehe Love

There's a char kway teow stall in amk central hawker centre.

Long queue.

The customers are either boomers or at least 40.

It's a matter of taim.

(03-07-2024, 07:31 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Same here.

烧腊stall closed. Cai png stall closed and another opened. 肉挫面 closed, taken over by Yong Tau Foo stall which also closed. Zichar is struggling to stay alive. Mala is still around. A western food stall is struggling.

What's wrong? The place is jinxed? 

No. 

It's lack of customers. We are finally seeing the effects of our low birth rate. The older generation are eating less hawker food due to the three highs. The yanger generation has shrunk. New citizens don't fancy bak chor mee or yong tau foo.

Those stall owners cannot afford to pay higher rentals sure close shop lah! Big Grin

(03-07-2024, 06:41 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  They only way for price to fall.ks demand to dro

You are applying Econs theory of perfect competition.

How simplistic and naive...you talk like a school boy in junior college with no real world experience.

Demand falls and price will fall in tandem? 

Demand has already fallen! This is due to our low TFR where we halved ourselves with each generation. Therefore the fixed overheads do not have sufficient sales volume to generate margins to recoup. The only way to break even, as the first step, is to raise the unit selling price 

I wonder if you understand what I'm trying to say... but if you had done online business as you claimed, you should understand.

(03-07-2024, 07:35 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  Those stall owners cannot afford to pay higher rentals sure close shop lah! Big Grin

It's not the rent. It's lack of footfall. 40 years ago, those food would sell very well. The boomers were yang.

Nao, the only thing which sells well is coffin. Every month, you'd see a wake. Another boomer died. Alone in the flat, no chewren. Hence, no customers for the coffee shop.

[+] 1 user Likes Oyk's post