Forum: Thrust of parliamentary CECA debates can send message to young

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/for...e-to-young

I am disturbed by the thrust of the most recent debate in Parliament on foreign talent and free trade agreements (FTAs).

I am referring to the debate sparked by Non-Constituency MP Leong Mun Wai's speech, in which he expressed concern about some FTAs such as the India-Singapore Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (Ceca). He said the provision on the "movement of natural persons" could have resulted in Singaporeans not having "net benefits". He was accused of race-baiting and resorting to anti-foreigner rhetoric.

First, I, too, have felt that some of the sentiments expressed in social media on Ceca clearly crossed the line. Racist connotations were palpable.

It is right for the Government to be concerned, especially at a time of heightened racial sensitivities. I appreciate Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong cautioning against this in his National Day Rally speech.

Second, I am puzzled as to why the ruling party's MPs continued to accuse Mr Leong of having a racial agenda even after he made it clear that his intention was to discuss the job implications of Ceca and other FTAs.

Yes, there is a correlation between Ceca and Indians, but it is perfectly possible to raise questions about Ceca without having a racial agenda.

I can see Singaporeans - regardless of race - raising similar issues if they involved an FTA with China. It's evident that there is still the perception that Ceca has allowed Indian nationals easier entry into Singapore's labour market. It would have been more productive if the Government provided compelling data to persuade us otherwise.

Third, regardless of whether Mr Leong made sense or not, I feel his questions and points could have been addressed more directly. Vigorous rebuttal of points is usually more effective when the content is categorical and the tone is objective.

I would like to see parliamentarians focus on persuading the public with their key considerations. There's certainly a lot more room for magnanimity and grace. Let's think of the message we are sending to our young.

Viswa Sadasivan

It is not possible to raise concerns about CECA without the risk of being accused of racism because of this.

They will use anything they can to assassinate your character when you disagree with them. That is their modus operandi.

The PAP is encapsulating itself with more and more powers POFMA, Foreign Interferenece Acts. Anti racism acts..laws that give them great powers to go after those who oppose them using pretext of "good intentions"  ...just like POFMA the minister decides...

[Image: 0sVyfvM.jpg]

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(18-09-2021, 10:26 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  It is not possible to raise concerns about CECA without the risk of being accused of racism because of this.

They will use anything they can to assassinate your character when you disagree with them. That is their modus operandi.

you need a good speaker and debater like Dr Chee in parliament.
Mr Leong is not a good debater.

[Image: mrrvdCP.jpg]

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

PM Lee shows his greatest weakness in this issue again.

Let us not forgot how badly Tan CJ behaved as Speaker of Parliament. Instead of being neutral, he also tried to confuse Leong with "Are you agreeing or not agreeing to FTA?"

He is not fit to be Speaker of Parliament if he cannot keep Ministers on track of the topic. Instead, he made Parliament look like PAP's Kitchen for Cooking only.

(18-09-2021, 11:26 AM)Ola Wrote:  Past 2 days already many news found from overseas website.

Grace Foo and her famous Gutter Politics still going- on after 5 years.

Even that Shanmugam only know how to drill PSP but can never drive the discussion forward to move the agenda. Such useless Minister. Waste of time and money.

PAP School of Gutter Parliament.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

Be fair to Leong MW at lease he brought up a valid point which many of us are concern. Although he is not a good debater but no one is prefect even Gov.
[+] 1 user Likes Cmpunk's post

(18-09-2021, 11:53 AM)Cmpunk Wrote:  Be fair to Leong MW at lease he brought up a valid point which many of us are concern. Although he is not a good debater but no one is prefect even Gov.

The PnP believe that "the best form of defence is attack", so they attack first before even debating the ceca issue.

Frankly speaking, there is actually no discussion or debate at all. It is basically attack and attack over some wordings.

Even Vivi also appear to attack RI, which is not in the agenda at all. Attack and attack.

ParLeement is a joke. Only for show and for the PartyLee only

Rotfl Rotfl
[+] 2 users Like Stoki's post

Let's see how PM handle VB.

(18-09-2021, 11:06 AM)forum456 Wrote:  you need a good speaker and debater like Dr Chee in parliament.
Mr Leong is not a good debater.
Added in Lim Tean, it wud be more powerful to garner strength.
[+] 1 user Likes Gemstar's post

(18-09-2021, 02:17 PM)mikotan Wrote:  Let's see how PM handle VB.

Yes, it will be interesting how he come forth to handle this issue.

It is not a mere fender bender, but a truck rammed into a bicycle!

Win the World but lost your Soul. 

RI already classified as lousy school liao. SG got talent? Thinking

(18-09-2021, 06:18 PM)wulala Wrote:  RI already classified as lousy school liao. SG got talent? Thinking

No wonder Lau Goh come from there...

Rotfl Rotfl

Rotfl Rotfl

Don't let people confused you.. If really want to be called a name, it should be xenophobic and not racist..

I have no issue with my Indian buddy who charged up the hill by my side in NS.. So I have no issue with Indian as a race. Also, I have no issue with the Indians who are living in India..

But I do have an issue about PMET jobs taken up by CECA..

So if someone try to confuse you against by saying you are a racist if you are against CECA, tell them that.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..
[+] 1 user Likes ArielCasper's post