A Singapore ST reader unhappy and upset with biased and demonising stance....

(03-01-2023, 12:34 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  It's the management problem or the editor's problem?

PM Lee and our govt problem, try to poh American LP and made money from Chinese also at the same time

(03-01-2023, 01:26 PM)CHAOS Wrote:  PM Lee and our govt problem, try to poh American LP and made money from Chinese at the same time

He already said very clearly, 我们不同心。
道是不可以说清楚,一说清楚就要倒霉了。

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(03-01-2023, 01:17 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The expert they consulted is knowledgeable and objective. He did not bash China throughout the video.
As for judging people by race.. it is highly racist in nature. Often the expert is ang moh, Indian or Chinese. ....you pick one some racist will complain...

Yet again, sgbuffett love seeing every discussion from racial POV.
Don't you know both Ravi and Prof Kanti are both born INDIAN nationals and commenting about China as INDIAN nationals on SINGAPOREAN media ?

And you even call them "knowledgeable and objective experts" ? wah lao...
[+] 1 user Likes Manthink's post

This Bill Liu is not asking for neutrality he is asking for our media to by sympathetic towards China.

Today's media is merciless in bad news for any country people are also acquire negative about all things like landslide in Genting they start to hammer Malaysian govts. Plse go and check landslides around the world....US, China, India etc.

When Spain kena high cases of covid the international media ramp up the bad news showing dead bodies piling up, dead on the floor of hospitals.

If the letter simply ask to be more sensitive towards China his message would be more credible. However he made an accusation of biasness of our media which is clearly untrue.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(03-01-2023, 01:32 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  This Bill Liu is not asking for neutrality he is asking for our media to by sympathetic towards China.

Today's media is merciless in bad news for any country  people are also acquire negative about all things like landslide in Genting they start to hammer Malaysian govts. Plse go and check landslides around the world....US, China, India etc.

When Spain kena high cases of covid the international media ramp up the bad news showing dead bodies piling up, dead on the floor of hospitals.

If the letter simply ask to be more sensitive towards China his message would be more credible. However he made an accusation of biasness of our media which  is clearly untrue.

He is not asking.

He is begging.

https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1Ck4y167wZ

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(03-01-2023, 01:31 PM)Manthink Wrote:  Yet again, sgbuffett love seeing every discussion from racial POV.
Don't you know both Ravi and Prof Kanti are both born INDIAN nationals and commenting about China as INDIAN nationals on SINGAPOREAN media ?

Singapore has Indian nationals everywhere in all industries. ...
THAT IS A FACT. Why single out the media ...tye editor the head Khaw are all Singaporeans and there as gatekeepers why ignore this fact.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(03-01-2023, 01:30 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  He already said very clearly, 我们不同心。
道是不可以说清楚,一说清楚就要倒霉了。

不同心也不需要对着干嘛?干嘛要酱?是不是吃了太多干妈辣酱?

(03-01-2023, 01:34 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Singapore has Indian nationals everywhere in all industries. ...
THAT IS A FACT. Why single out the media ...tye editor the head Khaw are all Singaporeans and there as gatekeepers why ignore this fact.

Only when the fact has passed CCP check can it called facts.

We must be more understanding toward pro-CCP type of people.

(03-01-2023, 01:34 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Singapore has Indian nationals everywhere in all industries. ...

And it is a FACT that there are many other foreigners working in SG.

Question you dare not ask is what proportions of the ST reports are/were INDIAN NATIONALS?

We can see the product and bias in ST own publishing daily... Don't lie that you do not notice what TS has shared.

(03-01-2023, 01:44 PM)kelhot2001 Wrote:  Only when the fact has passed CCP check can it called facts.
We must be more understanding toward pro-CCP type of people.

Just for the record, no one made any reference to CCP in this Thread until you started.

Perhaps you are suggesting something here ?

Some FACTS to look at - How ST's Ravi Velloor writes about India...

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/ind...e-velocity

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/bey...-of-growth

(03-01-2023, 11:45 AM)Stoki Wrote:  Too many ce.ca in Sing Pay Hope lah

FACT is CECA are NOT SGreans at heart.

For too long SPH failed to notice that simply because they assumed all English-speaking ones think and behavior like SGreans....We see the result from their publishing in ST today - especially when comes to China narrative and even called some SGreans as "pro China".

(03-01-2023, 12:10 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  It is trange people who demonise the Western countries that are friends to Singapore are the ones complaining about China being demonised

our newspaper provide fair and balanced reporting ...Good news or bad news about these countries they report accordingly.

Then, you compare the same news.  

The success of China space station not reported. But US space station, which is met with failure carries more disproportionate reporting.  

Is it a proof of bias reporting?  

[+] 2 users Like webinarian's post

(03-01-2023, 01:33 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1Ck4y167wZ

What can we expect from a rojak family?

(03-01-2023, 02:04 PM)webinarian Wrote:  Then, you compare the same news.  The success of China space station not reported. But US space station, which is met with failure carries more disproportionate reporting.  Is it a proof of bias reporting? 

Bias in ST is normal...What is abnormal is their obvious swing to pro-West. We read it on their print and online version.

Something is amissed when I notice how China is covered in different tone by 2 major SPH presses - ST and Zaobao...

The obvious one is the language...what concerns me is the former's content often depend on Western source and often just cut-and paste with little journalistic value from ST side.  That critical SINGAPOREAN view is often get overshadowed when Western reports gets the headline print.

The ONLY time we see SINGAPOREAN news on the front page is when there is new gov initiatives or local crime stories, property trends and fiancial news...

Looks like PAP float test balloon to see if wholesale exterminating of Wumaos will be accepted.

Aiya just a letter can trigger so many 殖物人?

Face the fact. Face the truth. Stupid Bill.

(03-01-2023, 01:23 PM)kelhot2001 Wrote:  The surname Liu means Tiong liao.

Just let him earn his social credit points. Let’s be generous to our foreign “talents”.

You obviously didn't read what he wrote!  Rotfl

So, SPH losing money is their own doing as many people cancelled their subscriptions after finding that their news reporting are either bias or not news worthy. Why are tax-payers subsiding a bias national newsprint then?

I watched Hong Kong and China news almost every night and covid news only take up very little air time over there, but in Singapore this news is given prominent and extensive coverage by mediacorpse.
[+] 2 users Like Clyde's post

(03-01-2023, 02:32 PM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Face the fact. Face the truth. Stupid Bill.

Fact + Truth :

TS Huat ah! Shitexchange huat ah!!!  Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://prospect.org/politics/congress-p...-of-china/

Congress Proposes $500 Million for Negative News Coverage of China

http://eng.chinamil.com.cn/view/2021-04/...030514.htm

US goes further to spend $300 million annually smearing China

TS Huat ah!!!! Shitexchange huat ah!!!   Laughing Laughing Laughing

(03-01-2023, 11:02 AM)KILLjoy Wrote:  now you should know who is the reason behind those ceca purging threads in edmw under sph

[Image: tf7sGB5.gif]

Rotfl

(03-01-2023, 01:33 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1Ck4y167wZ

https://theindependent.sg/lees-wisecrack...ith-china/

(03-01-2023, 01:33 PM)kelhot2001 Wrote:  He is not asking.

He is begging.

"Raucous, rambunctious, discombobulating". Seriously?  Rotfl

(03-01-2023, 02:32 PM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Face the fact. Face the truth. Stupid Bill.

Errr,,,You just agree with what Bill has say in his letter about ST bias as "fact"

So who is the real stupid one here ? Big Grin

(03-01-2023, 10:08 AM)cityhantam Wrote:  *A Singapore ST reader (Bill Liu), unhappy & upset about the  biased & demonising stance of the newspaper regard anything CHINA, wrote a complaint letter to the Chairman of NST, Mr Khaw Boon Wan (许文远)    不满对中国的偏颇报道,新加坡海峡时报老读者致函新加坡报业控股信托集团主席许文远*

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022, 08:10
Subject: Re: View of SPH Media'- ST's Coverage On China, etc
To: Bill Liu

*Thanks, Bill, for your feedback and comments.  Will share them with the newsrooms.*  *With rising US-China tensions, views are getting polarised (and often personal).*  Not easy to forge a middle path.  Add in state-sponsored propaganda and mobilised influencers, the media world is highly complex.  Will do our best. 

Have a great year ahead.  2022 was eventful, but there were bright spots here and there.  Take care.

On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 8:07 PM Bill Liu wrote:
*Dear Chairman Boon Wan of SPH Media Trust Group (copied to CEO Lay Lim)*

Long time no see, trust this finds you well!
I was recently with a mutual friend Han Jok Kwang talking about cycling and he mentioned that you are also a keen cyclist and one who is also concerned about preserving our environment at the same time! Bravo!

I had wanted to drop a note earlier to you and Teo Lay Lim, the CEO of SPH Media Company, an ex IT industry colleague, but did not "put pen to paper" till now.

*I have been a reader and subscriber of the Straits Times for nearly 6 decades- especially since I started working*.

The items in the ST media were generally newsworthy and reliable and the content factual. Whilst overseas, I often look forward to reading about news at home!

*However, in the past 2 years since the increased tension between the 2 superpowers, the US and China, the reporting in ST and to a lesser extent in ZB seem to have taken on, in my view, a more biased stance and I might add, less neutral to China*.
Sadly, *it seems to follow a trend of the Western media, in so-called "China bashing" or "demonising China" on a regular basis*.

*News about China carried in ST tends to be negative, e.g. bad news of its policies, especially on its zero Covid19 policies and implementation, negative reactions of its citizens, criticism of its policies by foreigners, etc.*

At one stage there was such news on a daily basis. The reports were from ST's China bureau/journalists, Elizabeth Law, Danson Cheong, Ang Cheng Wei and Tan Dawn Wei, etc.

To many, *China's "draconian" measures have managed to control a runaway infection and high death rate during the height of Covid19 pandemic, undoubtedly, at the expense of its economy!*
*Now that China is relaxing its policy on Covid19, it again faces the Western media criticizing China in doing a so-called U-turn! It seems as far as China is concerned, it is that "you do and you are damned and if you don't you are also damned"!*

*In contrast, the US has seen a record number of cases of Covid19 (over 100 million) and over a million deaths! That apparently seems to be acceptable and not newsworthy!?*

Many of my peers share the same observations and wonder why there is such a disproportionate focus on Covid19, as if there is nothing else of interest in China!

*The recent success of the Chinese manned mission to construct the space station received scant coverage in ST and the Western media*. In contrast another American space programme commanded a half-page report! Why the discrepancy?

There have been interesting developments and initiatives in China, e.g. the BRI, its efforts in environmental sustainability, trade liberalization,  and cooperation with African and Middle East nations, etc. *Curiously, these did not catch the attention of ST and also the Western media and were deemed not newsworthy!?*

*Instead, news about Taiwan, a nemesis of China, gets prominent coverage in ST, concentrated on its anti-China stance!  I could go on!*

It begs the question whether our ST journalists ever wander out of Beijing or Shanghai and visit the vast geography of China to see some of the reasons why 800 million Chinese have been lifted out of poverty in just four decades! *Surely there must be lessons one can learn from the success or achievements, even from a so called state-controlled country/economy!*

In my humble opinion, our ST/ZB journalists should be able to report factually what is going on in China and provide reasons/analysis why things are done a certain way- perhaps the unique Chinese way without trying to be sensational as the foreign media often do!

*Some of my friends told me they have now stopped reading ST because many of the news items were merely carried verbatim from Reuters, Bloomberg, AP, CNN, NYT, Economist, etc, without any value add, comment or verification*. Strangely, these are also the media that adopt the stance of *portraying China in a negative light!* I presume there could be a political agenda behind this, perhaps with their Government's influence/ support!?

*On Covid19, we know that China with nearly 1.4 Billion population is doing its utmost to control the spread of the virus. Ensuring consistency and uniformity in policy and implementation across the provinces, cities, villages, of such a vast country will and has been a major challenge!* As a reader, there is not much value and interest to monitor what goes on about Covid19 in China, or for that matter in *India, (which sees very little reporting by ST) on a daily basis, at the expense of other more interesting news of the country!*

On Covid19, I would say, let the Chinese Government take care of its people (as with our own country), otherwise suffer the consequences! I suspect countries like *China would like to be left alone to tackle its own problems, which I believe it is capable of, without the outside World adding to its woes!*

The Singapore Government's public stance is that it will not choose sides between the superpowers, which is a wise decision! *However, it would appear, our own ST journalists seem to have deviated from that principle, manifested by how it presents news and reports about China!*

My apologies Chairman for such a long script on a matter that has been on my mind for some time.

Wishing you and the Team A Happy & Bright 2023!

Take care & Keep well!

With Warmest,
Regards
Bill Liu

I don't really buy into this idea that ST is deliberately taking a stance against China. The Singapore government has already articulated an official policy of neutrality and in reality is slowly pivoting from a de facto pro-US stance to that of real de facto neutrality or even slightly onto China's side at present. It is not in the government's self-interest to instruct the state controlled ST to purposely sing a different tune to its citizens.

In my opinion, the negative anti-China ST news reporting is largely a result of:

1) Insufficient funding for ST due to loss making and which has resulted in an increasing reliance on simply buying republishing rights of articles from other western news channels rather than coming up with original journalism. The lack of funds also impedes the investing in onsite reporting by staff and as a result ST lacks any real first hand information on what is happening besides maybe the area surrounding Beijing and Shanghai hotels and government media reception venues. 

With such a limited active geographical space, English language journalists again end up interacting with Anglo-Saxon counterparts to try and get additional intel which further reinforces the negative feedback loop.

2) As with most other industries, our open door FT policies have resulted in a large number of Indian nationals joining ST in both onsite operational and back office support functions. Specifc events aside, Indians and Chinese generally do not have a favorable view of each other and it is only natural they will try and report each other in a negative light. There seems to be some sort of basic editorial check and balance (otherwise it would have become another NDTV or Hindustan Times), but it's clearly insufficient.

3) Lack of cross pollination of ideas and info channels between the English and Chinese newsroom. Unfortunately in order to really know China and report accurately, one needs to marinate in both Chinese official media and online social media universe. This requires very strong Chinese language skills which ST journalists are clearly lacking in and if SPH doesn't actively try to encourage cross functional interaction between the the ST and ZB news desks, the people at ST side really have nobody to turn to. Nobody is going to translate what goes on in the Chinese metaverse or happenings in Chinese municipal towns and villages. 

4) Too much reliance on "wrong" Chinese official news channels. I notice even when reporting things from the Chinese perspective, there's an unjustified reliance on Global Times, its retired chief editor Hu Xijin and occasionally Caixin for economic news. Caixin is decent, but you don't really get the full picture if you just rely on this one source. As for Global Times, this paper is a nationalist tabloid that only represents the views of a significant but minority in China. As for Hu Xijin, he is just an online influencer making use of his status as an ex-chief editor of the GT tabloid to expand his followers. Rank wise, he is a Zheng Ting, roughly the equivalent of a MX8/9 civil servant in Singapore, i.e. a Director / Head of Department in a stat board. His media status does not match his actual influence in real Chinese politics.

Really stupid jiak liao bee.

Enjoy your svking of am kock ba.

FLG cult.

flg cult likes to svk am kock.  

enjoy the bully by AMTK.  

Stupid fool.  

Straits publishes plenty of bad news and negativity towards USA.
Everyday there is more negative news about US than anywhere in the world.

There is no bias

There are may fanboys and sympathisers of China who are sensitive and wants our media only to report good about China.

It's not about neutrality.

[Image: KXY8uMQ.jpg]
[Image: 41gZLjw.jpg]