$130M being spent annually on foreign student scholarships is downright obscene

(18-12-2022, 01:32 AM)Clyde Wrote:  Base on feedback from my son, they are not so talented as what our government thought to be. He had hard time getting those scholars to contribute ideas to the group project because some did not show up and for those who show up, they kept completely quiet during the meeting.

My friend's son says many are morons

(17-12-2022, 05:17 PM)debono Wrote:  My children who also graduated from NUS, did not donate any money to NUS despite many flyers sent to them.......... Laughing Laughter-68

All sort of rubbish

It's for billionaires only

Really need ?

Helping NUS to get into the World's Top 5 Best Universities ranking..

Sometimes $$$ doesn't work so, Try harder

how else to secure loyal new citizens who vote the right way?

(18-12-2022, 01:10 AM)sgh Wrote:  The contention now is how to define they are intelligent? There have been cases where their paper credentials are fake and Spore being such an efficient govt unlike our Northern neighbor in their haste to get more lax in their scrutiny which is a shame. Also shame on those FT but I do admit they are intelligent in faking paper credentials for this I got to give them credit.

Scholarship is common in the west too. 
https://scholarshiproar.com › australia-scholarships-for-international-students
Australia Scholarships for International Students 2023 | Fully Funded
More than 1000 Australia scholarships for international students are available at top Australian universities for academic year 2023-2024. These scholarships provide average monthly stipend of AUD $20,000 along with tuition fees, accommodation charges, health insurance and travel allowance.

it would be better start from 2nd semester to assess the 'talent' level.  

equally important is the commitments, double fine for those who break intentionally

https://www.straitstimes.com › singapore › foreign-students-who-break-bond-may-face-ban-on-stay-and-work
Foreign students who break bond may face ban on stay and work
Foreign students who deliberately default on their scholarship bond obligations may be banned from working or residing in Singapore, Parliamentary Secretary for Education Low Yen Ling said yesterday..

and third but not least, it is clear market demand is smaller than expected, numbers must reduced.

https://thepienews.com › news › singapore-intl-grads-struggling-to-meet-bond-obligations
Singapore: int'l grads struggle to find jobs - thepienews.com
International graduates in Singapore are struggling to find jobs in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic and fear they may need to repay up to S$100,000 (£56,830) to the government to break their post-graduation work agreement. International students on the TGS must work in Singapore after graduating. Photo: Pixabay.

Other countries give them scholarships

BUT! no tuition subsidy for non-locals

AND no job Priority for them upon graduation

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

On one hand, we are spending millions on non-locals.

On the other hand, we still need to have non govt initiatives like this for a govt university so that the poor can pay their tuition fees.

https://www.suss.edu.sg/news-and-events/...d-students

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

FTs #1 POLICY

But our poor who needs help must need this criteria:

1) Full-time undergraduate students of SUSS pursuing their first Bachelor’s degree;
2) Singapore citizen;
3) Household monthly per capita income of SGD690 or less; and
4) Live in no larger than a 4-room HDB flat and whose family does not own private property.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(18-12-2022, 01:32 AM)Clyde Wrote:  Base on feedback from my son, they are not so talented as what our government thought to be. He had hard time getting those scholars to contribute ideas to the group project because some did not show up and for those who show up, they kept completely quiet during the meeting.

Listening to feedback from one person, esp when he has vested interest, does not tell the full story.

Did your son do better than these scholars? Even if he had, it doesn't mean that these scholars are lousy.

Keeping quiet does not mean they're lousy too. I often kept quiet too but not because I do not have ideas, but it's just part of my culture.

If you're the govt how would you award scholarships? If not by academic records I seriously do not know how. I think the govt goes to the schools and get the top scorers to come here.

There's no doubt that some of them may not be that talented but as I said, no policy can catch all situations.

(18-12-2022, 02:00 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Listening to feedback from one person, esp when he has vested interest, does not tell the full story.

Did your son do better than these scholars? Even if he had, it doesn't mean that these scholars are lousy.

Keeping quiet does not mean they're lousy too. I often kept quiet too but not because I do not have ideas, but it's just part of my culture.

If you're the govt how would you award scholarships? If not by academic records I seriously do not know how. I think the govt goes to the schools and get the top scorers to come here.

There's no doubt that some of them may not be that talented but as I said, no policy can catch all situations.
I really don't know how you define talented if the person did not show up in the group project or have no idea how to do a university project and leave everything to other people to do it. If you are talented you should understand this words " you die I also die, you sink I will also sink together" if all of us are in the same boat.

(18-12-2022, 12:50 AM)Scythian Wrote:  The Govt is hoping these students eventually become citizens and vote for pap.

Yes, PAP has this idea ....lady will marriage to local and male will marriage Singaporean and can later turn citizen. In public service I saw many in PUB, LTA and MOE...

I sincerely would demand Education Minister to list down the Scholarship Program that we need to help Singapore economy grow for the past 12 years. It cannot be for any faculty!

Win the World but lost your Soul. 

(18-12-2022, 09:20 AM)watchfirst9 Wrote:  Scholarship is common in the west too. 
https://scholarshiproar.com › australia-scholarships-for-international-students
Australia Scholarships for International Students 2023 | Fully Funded
More than 1000 Australia scholarships for international students are available at top Australian universities for academic year 2023-2024. These scholarships provide average monthly stipend of AUD $20,000 along with tuition fees, accommodation charges, health insurance and travel allowance.

it would be better start from 2nd semester to assess the 'talent' level.  

equally important is the commitments, double fine for those who break intentionally

https://www.straitstimes.com › singapore › foreign-students-who-break-bond-may-face-ban-on-stay-and-work
Foreign students who break bond may face ban on stay and work
Foreign students who deliberately default on their scholarship bond obligations may be banned from working or residing in Singapore, Parliamentary Secretary for Education Low Yen Ling said yesterday..

and third but not least, it is clear market demand is smaller than expected, numbers must reduced.

https://thepienews.com › news › singapore-intl-grads-struggling-to-meet-bond-obligations
Singapore: int'l grads struggle to find jobs - thepienews.com
International graduates in Singapore are struggling to find jobs in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic and fear they may need to repay up to S$100,000 (£56,830) to the government to break their post-graduation work agreement. International students on the TGS must work in Singapore after graduating. Photo: Pixabay.
Only S$100,000. Local scholars have to pay S$130,000 plus shaming if break the bond.