Young professionals in Singapore taking long breaks from work to recharge: Experts

(12-12-2023, 08:18 AM)theold Wrote:  Overwhelmed with stress, a 35-year-old media professional struggled to sleep, lost his appetite and frequently had nightmares about work. He was sometimes so overcome with anxiety that he was unable to even enjoy the company of family and friends. The cause was clear: His work environment was becoming increasingly hostile, and he was having a hard time getting along with his employers.

“Younger workers have higher levels of anxiety [compared with older workers], and feel more isolated due to a lack of connection and acceptance at work,” said MacLennan.

Younger people may have less savings than older colleagues and may feel financial pressures more acutely, he added.

One way to make the transition back to the workforce easier is to take up a contract role after a sabbatical, added Tan.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/culture/2...perts.html

Better to change job, why torture himself.

(12-12-2023, 08:18 AM)theold Wrote:  Overwhelmed with stress, a 35-year-old media professional struggled to sleep, lost his appetite and frequently had nightmares about work. He was sometimes so overcome with anxiety that he was unable to even enjoy the company of family and friends. The cause was clear: His work environment was becoming increasingly hostile, and he was having a hard time getting along with his employers.

“Younger workers have higher levels of anxiety [compared with older workers], and feel more isolated due to a lack of connection and acceptance at work,” said MacLennan.

Younger people may have less savings than older colleagues and may feel financial pressures more acutely, he added.

One way to make the transition back to the workforce easier is to take up a contract role after a sabbatical, added Tan.

What to do? 
Who tell him never learn I Ching? Rotfl
这叫自作自受!

Never challenge your boss if you have not possessed the skill to understand your boss thinking. Otherwise learn to let go.

Never reject your boss in front of him/her, you can accept what he/she has asked you do first. But later you can choose not to do it if the job is Sai Kang. It is your choice.
这不叫欺骗。千万别讲真话,只讲善话!

3 stages of understanding your boss.
a)See your boss facial expression(Most easy, but may be wrong some time)
b)See through your boss bone and meat.
c)See through your boss heart(Most difficult)

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(12-12-2023, 07:21 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  My current salary is fine, the co-workers aren't too bad, but my boss is an insecure SOB who believes in suppressing talents to maintain his position. The environment is turning toxic owing to cronyism though.  I do some volunteering in church on weekends, but can't see this taking up 8 hours of my time on a weekday.

Knnbccb if you have not supressed others to maintain your position how do you know the one above you is insecure ? KKNCCB! and in the same breath pretend to do God's work. KNNBCCB hypocrite!

Thinking Oyk:Tempt peepur at their Archilles Point: GREED

(13-12-2023, 05:50 PM)starbugstk Wrote:  Knnbccb if you have not supressed others to maintain your position how do you know the one above you is insecure ? KKNCCB! and in the same breath pretend to do God's work. KNNBCCB hypocrite!

I forgive you for your foul mouth rantings.  Do you need any mouth wash?  It may help.  

(12-12-2023, 01:56 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I have considered early retirement many times even in my early 50s because I have set aside enough to do so, but I am hesitant to give up on my current salary, human interaction at the office as well as fear boredom and cognitive decline from inactivity.   

The boredom part should not be a problem if you have enough hobbies based on my own experience. I felt that I never had enough time and had to give up on some stuff.

This doesn't sound to me like a smart way to do things financially or for longer termed professional development.

You work for a few years then wipe out your savings to go for a holiday a.k.a. sabbatical for a year and then spend the next few months back explaining to future employers why you have a big employment gap and then end up with roughly the same, if not lower, pay again.

Maybe when one is young enough in the 20s can try this for one time just for the kicks, but this is definitely not sustainable on a long-term basis in Singapore where there is zero social security.