Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened.

(28-08-2021, 12:02 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I have gone to Decathlon.
They don't have my size of tyres and tube.
Most of the sizes is meant for the bikes they sell.
But they do sell a $3 for 8 pieces of plaster seal will try to use that to fix the leak.

I have fixed my bike already ...it can be used as a.fixed gear bike...I have fixed the tyre but not the gear.

How I fix the tyre:
1. My tyre punchet due to leak in inner tube.
2.  I purchase 6 pieces of patch from decathlon for $3.
3.  I dismantled the wheel which has a quick catch. This was easy.
4.  It have to take the tyre off the rim. I had no proper tool for this. I used 2 screw drivers. The trick was to get one edge completely off the rims then the other one.
5. I inflate the inner tube. Put it in a pail of water to look for bubbles. I saw some bubble coming out from one part. The hole was invisible to eye. 
6. The set of sticker patches came with sand paper....the instruction was all in French so it was a mystery what it was for. But based on picture I was to rub the sandpaper on the leaking area before I stick the patxh. I stick the stick patch ...put aside the inner tube for an hour. The pressure was about the same an hour later so it is no longer leaking.

7. I  deflated the inner tube and stuff it into the tyre and put the tyre back on the rim  this process was somehow much easier than taking the tyre off. 
8. I pumped up the tyre and got ready to fix it back onto the bike.

Until this point everything was smooth but putting the wheel back to bike was challenging. 

This is because you have to deal with the chain, disc brake which has to be align and when you align this the chain will move and you need to make sure it is looped correctly ..I had a darn hard time doing this as I have no stand to hang the bike and only fit the wheel on. I put the wheel on while the bike is standing. My mom was out so nobody around to stabilise the standing bike.

I had to do the above twice as I got the chain looped wrongly after I assembled I realised the wheel only turned half way and got stuck. I had to look up pictures online to see how to run the chain ...remove the wheel and repeat ...the trick here is to remove the chain from the front gears at the pedal side so you can move it easily and get the looping right. After the wheel is fixed then put the chain back on the gear....it would be alot easier.

I spend $3 plus bus fare to Decathlon.

I got my hand dirty put in the effort and learn a few things about fixing a wheel onto a bike....

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(28-08-2021, 08:55 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I have fixed my bike already ...it can be used as a.fixed gear bike...I have fixed the tyre but not the gear.

How I fix the tyre:
1. My tyre punchet due to leak in inner tube.
2.  I purchase 6 pieces of patch from decathlon for $3.
3.  I dismantled the wheel which has a quick catch. This was easy.
4.  It have to take the tyre off the rim. I had no proper tool for this. I used 2 screw drivers. The trick was to get one edge completely off the rims then the other one.
5. I inflate the inner tube. Put it in a pail of water to look for bubbles. I saw some bubble coming out from one part. The hole was invisible to eye. 
6. The set of sticker patches came with sand paper....the instruction was all in French so it was a mystery what it was for. But based on picture I was to rub the sandpaper on the leaking area before I stick the patxh. I stick the stick patch ...put aside the inner tube for an hour. The pressure was about the same an hour later so it is no longer leaking.

7. I  deflated the inner tube and stuff it into the tyre and put the tyre back on the rim  this process was somehow much easier than taking the tyre off. 
8. I pumped up the tyre and got ready to fix it back onto the bike.

Until this point everything was smooth but putting the wheel back to bike was challenging. 

This is because you have to deal with the chain, disc brake which has to be align and when you align this the chain will move and you need to make sure it is looped correctly ..I had a darn hard time doing this as I have no stand to hang the bike and only fit the wheel on. I put the wheel on while the bike is standing. My mom was out so nobody around to stabilise the standing bike.

I had to do the above twice as I got the chain looped wrongly after I assembled I realised the wheel only turned half way and got stuck. I had to look up pictures online to see how to run the chain ...remove the wheel and repeat ...the trick here is to remove the chain from the front gears at the pedal side so you can move it easily and get the looping right. After the wheel is fixed then put the chain back on the gear....it would be alot easier.
Looooong story ..u too free issit ??

get a $60 disposable bike. no worry of repair costs.

changing car tyre is easier

(28-08-2021, 08:24 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The gear shift spoilt I just used the bike on one fixed gear for last 3 months. Then a few days ago the back wheel no air. I went to check both inner tube and got problem.

Because I use the bike almost every single day for all distances within 3km of my home for last 5yrs I will bike....I needed to get it fixed fast so that my transport expenditure does not shoot up taking bus here and there.

I went to the bike shop to ask. The guy said $120 fix both problems...

What?  I told him the bike brand new only cost me $200!!

He basically told me to take it or leave it.

Went online to check tyre+inner tube+tool =$19. Break shift cable and housing less than $20. Watch YouTube to see how its done......

Decided to fix it myself.

Luckily you never get chop.

https://fb.watch/7G37q7wKkB/