Can I Put My SSD Into Someone Else's Laptop ?

very sorry to ask this.....i super novice on computers.......

my SSD (runs on Win7 32-bit) is cloned from an old Acer desktop (game over liao).........

1) so can i put in my SSD to replace my friend's laptop's HDD (runs on Win7 but don't know 32-bit or 64-bit) ?

2) the laptop has a Win7 product key so can i use that to upgrade my SSD to Win10 64-bit ?

3) the laptop (with HDD) was using WiFi for internet but when i tried with LAN cable, no internet connection.......i always use LAN cable for internet when using the SSD in my old pc......so put SSD in laptop, LAN cable should work ??

It might boot up but there could be issues. Your drivers that are installed on your ssd are very likely not to work with the new hardware.

When your ethernet can't work, it's probably 1. Your cable got problem 2. Your driver got problem 3. You didn't set it up properly. So even if you put your ssd inside, it'll still not work.

PS. I'm assuming you're trying to boot from your ssd.

(17-08-2021, 12:05 AM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  very sorry to ask this.....i super novice on computers.......

my SSD (runs on Win7 32-bit) is cloned from an old Acer desktop (game over liao).........

1) so can i put in my SSD to replace my friend's laptop's HDD (runs on Win7 but don't know 32-bit or 64-bit) ?

2) the laptop has a Win7 product key so can i use that to upgrade my SSD to Win10 64-bit ?

3) the laptop (with HDD) was using WiFi for internet but when i tried with LAN cable, no internet connection.......i always use LAN cable for internet when using the SSD in my old pc......so put SSD in laptop, LAN cable should work ??

1)You mean directly replace the HDD.
It is a big No. The hardware and bios settings are different will have problem.

2)No need to use win7 product key.
Go to microsoft Windows website to download fresh windows 10 into your SSD after you have plucked the SSD into the laptop.(You can use USB thumb drive method to install ISO file of windows 10.)Your friend has a licence windows 7. It shd be auto activated under windows 10 via windows 10 digital licence.

3) Probably the LAN port is faulty.
Or do a Bios reset by setting it to load default mode. Or reinserting the wifi network card or Chg another wifi network card w bluetooth capability if you want to increase Wifi speed.
Wireless N card with dual bands, $7 can get.
Wireless AC card about $20+
Wireless Ax card /Wifi 6 about $30 to $40.
Check the shape and size of wifi network card is correct before buying.

https://shopee.sg/product/21033575/33461...29149623.9

If point 2 is not working or you still want to keep the HDD stuff, you can buy a sata cable to connect your SSD and download free earlier version of minitool freeware to clone the HDD.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(17-08-2021, 12:20 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  It might boot up but there could be issues. Your drivers that are installed on your ssd are very likely not to work with the new hardware.

When your ethernet can't work, it's probably 1. Your cable got problem 2. Your driver got problem 3. You didn't set it up properly. So even if you put your ssd inside, it'll still not work.

PS. I'm assuming you're trying to boot from your ssd.

many thanks for your reply.....................

what if the laptop is also old one.......hardly used but close to 10 years old liao ?

the cable is fine..................worked on another laptop........

how to deal with the driver + set-up issues ?

lastly.........

my SSD is on Win7-32bit so can i use my sister's laptop's Win7 product key to upgrade my SSD (in another desktop) to Win10-32bit then upgrade again to Win10-64 bit ?.........if that's impossible, can i connect this SSD to my sister's laptop to access and save SSD's data to an external HDD ?...

(18-08-2021, 09:44 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  many thanks for your reply.....................

what if the laptop is also old one.......hardly used but close to 10 years old liao ?

the cable is fine..................worked on another laptop........

how to deal with the driver + set-up issues ?

lastly.........

my SSD is on Win7-32bit so can i use my sister's laptop's Win7 product key to upgrade my SSD (in another desktop) to Win10-32bit then upgrade again to Win10-64 bit ?.........if that's impossible, can i connect this SSD to my sister's laptop to access and save SSD's data to an external HDD ?...

I can almost guarantee that many of your installed drivers in the ssd cannot work in the new laptop. You'll have to go to that laptop's manufacturer's website to download all your drivers and installed them onto the ssd. And that is assuming that when you plugged your ssd into the laptop you're able to view your display correctly (remember your display also has drivers, which your ssd does not have). I'll advise that you first try to put your ssd into the laptop and see if you can boot up and see your display. Only when you can see something then you think about installing the drivers.

No, you cannot use another person's product key to upgrade os in another media. On your last question, you can definitely access and save your ssd's data to another hdd. If the data has been encrypted (e.g. by bitlocker) then you'll need to decrypt it.

BTW, is it you die die want to use the OS in your SSD or you just want to use the ss in the laptop? OS nowadays quite cheap so if all else fail just reinstall fresh on your ssd, and you can still continue to use your ssd. You can save out those data you need first.

(17-08-2021, 05:24 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  1)You mean directly replace the HDD.
It is a big No. The hardware and bios settings are different will have problem.

2)No need to use win7 product key.
Go to microsoft Windows website to download fresh windows 10 into your SSD after you have plucked the SSD into the laptop.(You can use USB thumb drive method to install ISO file of windows 10.)Your friend has a licence windows 7. It shd be auto activated under windows 10 via windows 10 digital licence.

3) Probably the LAN port is faulty.
Or do a Bios reset by setting it to load default mode. Or reinserting the wifi network card or Chg another  wifi network card w bluetooth capability if you want to increase Wifi speed.
Wireless N card with dual bands, $7 can get.
Wireless AC card about $20+
Wireless Ax card /Wifi 6 about $30 to $40.
Check the shape and size of wifi network card is correct before buying.

https://shopee.sg/product/21033575/33461...29149623.9

If point 2 is not working or you still want to keep the HDD stuff, you can buy a sata cable to connect your SSD and download free earlier version of minitool freeware to clone the HDD.

many thanks for the reply..........

1) yes, i'm thinking of using my old desktop's boot SSD......and replace the boot HDD inside the laptop.......won't work, huh ?

2) if the above won't work......how to use my SSD as boot drive for the laptop leh ?.........my friend's Win7 product key is tied to the laptop so i think is OEM license.......can use it to upgrade to Win10 on my SSD ?

3) you mention '' Bios reset by setting it to load default mode.'' to get the LAN port to work.......how to do that ah ?

lastly, can i connect my desktop's old drive SSD to another laptop and access the data inside ?.......if yes, i can save the data to external HDD.............then just wipe clean the SSD.......then put inside new desktop and use Win10 (unactivated) ?

(18-08-2021, 11:57 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  many thanks for the reply..........

1) yes, i'm thinking of using my old desktop's boot SSD......and replace the boot HDD inside the laptop.......won't work, huh ?

2) if the above won't work......how to use my SSD as boot drive for the laptop leh ?.........my friend's Win7 product key is tied to the laptop so i think is OEM license.......can use it to upgrade to Win10 on my SSD ?

3) you mention '' Bios reset by setting it to load default mode.'' to get the LAN port to work.......how to do that ah ?

lastly, can i connect my desktop's old drive SSD to another laptop and access the data inside ?.......if yes, i can save the data to external HDD.............then just wipe clean the SSD.......then put inside new desktop and use Win10 (unactivated) ?

1) Will have problem. You can try it yourself, since you are going to salvage your SSD. Make sure check SSD didnt set RAID mode in Bios setting first. The load default setting shd be hiding at Exit tab.

2)I have told you.
You can clone the HDD into your SSD via earlier minitool freeware. Download 10.2 version from 3rd party website. Latest minitool version downloaded from original site, need to pay liao, for HDD migrating. Then go windows website to upgrade windows 10. Remember dont select fresh windows update. Watch first video

3)Watch 2nd video. Booting into bios/UEFI has different Function keys for different manufacturers. It can be F1,F2,F10,F12, del etc. You can try them.

https://youtu.be/ioYPSsFnmNA

https://youtu.be/0LwK427gcnE

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

I have just done a search on the internet. Your windows won't be able to load up because your license is tied to the motherboard. So your drivers problems will become secondary issues.

Yes, it's better to clone the data from the laptop hdd into your SSD instead.

(19-08-2021, 06:22 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  1) Will have problem. You can try it yourself, since you are going to salvage your SSD. Make sure check SSD didnt set RAID mode in Bios setting first. The load default setting shd be hiding at Exit tab.

2)I have told you.
You can clone the HDD into your SSD via earlier minitool freeware. Download 10.2 version from 3rd party website. Latest minitool version downloaded from original site, need to pay liao, for HDD migrating. Then go windows website to upgrade windows 10. Remember dont select fresh windows update. Watch first video

3)Watch 2nd video. Booting into bios/UEFI has different Function keys for different manufacturers. It can be F1,F2,F10,F12, del etc. You can try them.

https://youtu.be/ioYPSsFnmNA

https://youtu.be/0LwK427gcnE

(22-08-2021, 11:34 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  I have just done a search on the internet. Your windows won't be able to load up because your license is tied to the motherboard. So your drivers problems will become secondary issues.

Yes, it's better to clone the data from the laptop hdd into your SATA instead.

thank you both very much for all the efforts to help me.............i'll need to digest all the bad news 1st...........too depressed to even think.......