'Cod fish' sold in S'pore might be Chilean Seabass & why you should eat less of it

Joshua Lee |  December 05, 2021, 08:31 AM

Right after we published this story on smoked salmon trout masquerading as smoked salmon, a friend said to me: "You should check out what's going on with cod too."

the term "cod" is used in Asia to refer to three very different types of fish:
  • Atlantic Cod
  • Sablefish (also known as Gindara and Black Cod)
  • Chilean Seabass (also known as Patagonian Toothfish and Silver Cod)

[Image: fish_cods.jpg]
The term "cod " is used to refer to three different types of fish in Asia: (From top to bottom) The Atlantic Cod, the Sablefish, and the Chilean Seabass.

I reached out to three suppliers of "cod fish" on Qoo10 — The Seafood Company, Snow Treasures, and Silversea.

The first two confirmed that they're selling Chilean Seabass. Silversea did not respond.

Compared to the other two, the Atlantic Cod has more bite and is a lot less oily. Conversely, it might be a bit dry to some consumers, especially if it is overcooked.

This is because its flesh has a fat content of about two to three per cent.

The Sablefish and Chilean Seabass — which according to Takeuchi are commonly known as 鳕鱼 (xuě yú) or Snow Cod in Singapore — have a fat content of about 20 per cent.

"Chilean Seabass is the most expensive. Sablefish is between 15 to 25 per cent cheaper. Atlantic Cod is 60 to 70 per cent cheaper than Chilean Seabass."

According to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), Chilean Seabass has a mean mercury concentration of 0.354 ppm. Sablefish has about the same level of mercury — 0.361 ppm. Cod has 0.111 ppm.

0.354 ppm of mercury is not a dangerous level — there are fish with much higher levels of mercury, like sharks (0.979 ppm), swordfish (0.995 ppm), and king mackerel which is known as batang locally (0.73 ppm) — but it is enough to warrant an FDA advisory for pregnant and breastfeeding women to eat only one serving of Chilean Seabass a week.

This might be concerning because locally, Chilean Seabass — or 鳕鱼 (xuě yú) — is often touted as a good fish for new mothers who are on confinement.

Two new mothers I spoke to said that they were advised to eat Chilean Seabass because it is supposedly good for recovery and more importantly, good for the production of breast milk.

Both said that because of this, they have been eating Chilean Seabass about twice a week.

Much much better to read the full article here: https://mothership.sg/2021/12/singapore-...explainer/

Buy the $60 per kg will get real deal

Alantic cod is the best

Eat cheap fish will do lah!

(05-12-2021, 10:56 AM)dynamite Wrote:  Buy the $60 per kg will get real deal

I don't think so cos the skin of the Cod fish sold here have the similar grayish skin as the Chilean seabass.
The Atlantic Cod fish has a slight golden-yellowish skin.
Will stop buying it next time. Just bought 2 slices from wet market last Fri and it cost $46 or $23 per slice !!!

(05-12-2021, 12:12 PM)sgxin Wrote:  I don't think so cos the skin of the Cod fish sold here have the similar grayish skin as the Chilean seabass.
The Atlantic Cod fish has a slight golden-yellowish skin.
Will stop buying it next time. Just bought 2 slices from wet market last Fri and it cost $46 or $23 per slice !!!

U need to request I want Atlantic cod fish.

Another difference is the atlantic cod meat has some parts redish .

(05-12-2021, 12:51 PM)Ernesto Wrote:  Another difference is the atlantic  cod meat has some parts redish .

This one is the best la. That article trying to promote the black black fish. I read in China article there is a black type that taste rubbery.

Mai hiam... got dha epa hsa lta ura good enuf liao Big Grin

There is no right or wrong decisions. 
One only has to bear the consequences that one makes  Big Grin