Cut down eating out to reduce expenses...

Whenever you eat out you are not just paying for food but rental of store, foreign workers, foreign worker levy taxes etc.

A very simple illustration. If you buy a bottle.of instant coffee powder  and make one cup it costs 20cts. You go out to drink this coffee it is $1.40...that us a700% escalation.

Recently i have been cooking bak kit teh at home I am just surprised how.simple. just buy the base from NTUC or sheng siong throw in the pork rib and that's it. Costs $1+ per bowl.vs $5 eating out. Save many of these $4.nad one day you will be able to retire and not die working.

Even if eat out you can bring your own plain water instead of drinking sprite or other soft drinks...the cost of filling up one bottle of tap water is 1cts ...instead of paying $1.30 for diabetes causing soft drinks.

I used to make my own bread it was less than 30cts per loaf. It takes some effort but we'll worth it.

Old habits die hard. One way to change is to do it over time. Keep a calender tracking how often you eat out every week and try to reduce the frequency.

There is no point blaming CPF or govt if we can't retire. The chabge has to start with us to cut spending and save for retirement.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 4 users Like sgbuffett's post

There are 5 Good Reasons Not to eat out:

1) Average citizens have 30% lower salary than Non- Citizens
Since we cannot earn more so the only way is to save more

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

Too much Ajinomoto,bad oil,unhygienic
Roach,rats,ants as friends
better cook your own food 🥘

Do not talk to a fool for he will scorn  the wisdom of your words 
☝️
[+] 1 user Likes Lukongsimi's post

After saving and accumulating lots of cash, and eventually pass on,  also cannot bring along to heaven..... also very wasteful  .

If don't spend,  others will help you to spend in the final analysis. 

Irony indeed.
[+] 2 users Like hansamu's post

One stone kill 2 bird. Eat healthy and save money.

2) Hygiene of the food, the cooking wok, washed plates and cutleries

(25-03-2023, 03:14 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Too much Ajinomoto,bad oil,unhygienic

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

开源节流,量入为出

Save when you have limited incomes, spend more when you hv more
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post

Shoe box sized flats were built /promoted with the intention of eating out. Hence you see how small the kitchen is just turn 180 degree's enough. With escalating costs no way can cook at home. HDB flats selling over$1m nobody so stupid to sell anything cheap! Govt policies has failed very badly inflicting hardship on hawkers n all.

For soup based food it is always the soup base that is critical. Nowadays laksa curry mee siam etc come in packet format. You put in and boil until soft cut open pour out you got your sauce. Gone are those early era e.g to cook the laksa so troublesome my mum ask me go buy coconut downstairs and ask them grind into slices they got some machine so she can squeeze the milk out later.

Taste maybe different old elderly may complain but for me the current invention is close to the real for my taste buds.

MOM demands maids to hv own room to sleep. Really out of touch with reality with shoebox sized flats.

(25-03-2023, 02:37 PM)Ola Wrote:  There are 5 Good Reasons Not to eat out:

1) Average citizens have 30% lower salary than Non- Citizens
    Since we cannot earn more so the only way is to save more
Clapping

Can secretly raise meat rabbits and quails at home..

(25-03-2023, 04:51 PM)pinkpanther Wrote:  Can secretly raise meat rabbits and quails at home..

Rabbit how to remove the fur? Same for quails the feathers? Outside they got machine so fast own DIY so troublesome.

(25-03-2023, 04:52 PM)sgh Wrote:  Rabbit how to remove the fur? Same for quails the feathers? Outside they got machine so fast own DIY so troublesome.

Make an incision on the leg joint and pull the skin off. Very fast!

Save money can but don't ill-treat yourself. Should pamper yourself occasionally. And don't be stingy with family and friends.
[+] 1 user Likes Blasterlord2's post

Eating out or at home lots of factors.. if you can't cook as well, you might not mind paying for it outside. As long as you get a reasonable value out of the experience. Lol
[+] 1 user Likes Sticw's post

ownself cook also must see , scout the cheapest ingredients.

what dishes you plan to cook?

in fact some dishes is not worth to cook yourself after calculate the total expenses end up must well buy from outside.

Summary the key is try to scout for cheapest ingredients and cook simple if you plan to save don't want to go out much often to eat.
[+] 1 user Likes [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

(25-03-2023, 02:31 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Whenever you eat out you are not just paying for food but rental of store, foreign workers, foreign worker levy taxes etc.

A very simple illustration. If you buy a bottle.of instant coffee powder  and make one cup it costs 20cts. You go out to drink this coffee it is $1.40...that us a700% escalation.

Recently i have been cooking bak kit teh at home I am just surprised how.simple. just buy the base from NTUC or sheng siong throw in the pork rib and that's it. Costs $1+ per bowl.vs $5 eating out. Save many of these $4.nad one day you will be able to retire and not die working.

Even if eat out you can bring your own plain water instead of drinking sprite or other soft drinks...the cost of filling up one bottle of tap water is 1cts ...instead of paying $1.30 for diabetes causing soft drinks.

I used to make my own bread it was less than 30cts per loaf. It takes some effort but we'll worth it.

Old habits die hard. One way to change is to do it over time. Keep a calender tracking how often you eat out every week and try to reduce the frequency.

There is no point blaming CPF or govt if we can't retire. The chabge has to start with us to cut spending and save for retirement.

You brought your kitchen to your office? I am still looking for a cheap & reliable mover

also vote wisely next GE. this wont be the last..either you keep cutting down your expenses or you cut off their presence in the office.

(25-03-2023, 06:18 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  ownself cook also must see , scout the cheapest ingredients.

in fact some dishes is not worth to cook yourself after calculate the total expenses end up must well buy from outside.

Summary the key is try to scout for cheapest ingredients and cook simple if you plan to save don't want to go out much often to eat.

做人做到好辛苦。。。Yolo
[+] 1 user Likes hansamu's post

(25-03-2023, 08:09 PM)jus4lucky Wrote:  also vote wisely next GE. this wont be the last..either you keep cutting down your expenses or you cut off their presence in the office.

Yes, vote wisely in next GE, so that cooked food prices will not be sky high........................... Big Grin

(25-03-2023, 06:18 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  ownself cook also must see , scout the cheapest ingredients.

Also depend on the person tastebud. Some very particular in food one those hard to please.

Outside food is very high in salt content.

(25-03-2023, 11:09 PM)toothpick Wrote:  Outside food is very high in salt content.

If we have one person or even two persons who needs to eat their lunch or dinner, it is more economical to eat out (Hawker Centres) than to cook by themselves............. Big Grin

Lick meow meow. Tasty and can lose weight Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(25-03-2023, 11:12 PM)debono Wrote:  If we have one person or even two persons who needs to eat their lunch or dinner, it is more economical to eat out (Hawker Centres) than to cook by themselves............. Big Grin

It also depend what you order in hawker centre too. Prices in hawker centre are not like last times.

(25-03-2023, 09:20 PM)sgh Wrote:  Also depend on the person tastebud. Some very particular in food one those hard to please.

That is true. Next is unpractical if you wanna fry foods like outside.
Partly you need to pour lots of oil to fry than after flying also need to clean kitchen
lastly will it taste like outside? is another story.

(25-03-2023, 11:54 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  That is true. Next is unpractical if you wanna fry foods like outside.
Partly you need to pour lots of oil to fry than after flying also need to clean kitchen
lastly will it taste like outside? is another story.

Someone invented air fryer so now can do at home not scared kitchen oily after. But the food come out is drier compared to those fry in oil. This is what some complain as taste bud different and fussy

(25-03-2023, 11:59 PM)sgh Wrote:  Someone invented air fryer so now can do at home not scared kitchen oily after. But the food come out is drier compared to those fry in oil. This is what some complain as taste bud different and fussy

Air fryer will not make Real fry foods.

Is like just an alternative but will not make it like real fry foods using oil.

(25-03-2023, 03:14 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Too much Ajinomoto,bad oil,unhygienic

Knowingly cannot afford, Singaporeans can bring family and kids to watch foreigners enjoying lobsters and abalone ..

Similarly cannot afford high electricity bills, can weekend window shopping to enjoy aircon.

All for free