The US is quietly arming Taiwan to the teeth

Ai ya, give them weapon also no use. 

See the Iraq govt that US supported. Give them so much USD plus weapon, the moment US pulled out, cannot win against the insurgent

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

US House pushes ahead with $95bn foreign aid package for Taiwan this Sat vote (mean Sunday here in Singapore). Coalition of lawmakers helped legislation clear procedural hurdle to reach final votes, following opposition from rightwing Republicans. Typically hyper-partisan chamber, with Democrats helping Johnson’s plan advance by 316 votes to 94.

Johnson now looks set to push forward this weekend on the package tom-morerehh.

(07-11-2023, 11:42 AM)maxsanic Wrote:  This is an idiotic article that doesn’t even pass the laugh test, the headline claims that Taiwan is being armed to the teeth but no where in the entire article does it explain how. It is telling that the photo used by the BBC isn't even an advanced weapon system, but a pretty girl training in unarmed combat.

About the only things mentioned for this supposed “armed to the teeth” is money spent, exercises, war game simulations, training and think tank advice.

Taiwan doesn’t need all this crap. To have a decent chance of surviving the first few days of onslaught what they need are F35s, Aleigh Burke Destroyers, Predator UAVs and large quantities of long range cruise missiles, anti-air defence and EW equipment.

Instead they got F16Vs, armoured cars, mine layers and short range missiles. These wouldn’t even survive the first few hours of any military conflict.

Any non-stealth Taiwanese fighter aircraft has almost no possibility of surviving due to total coverage of the entire island by precision guided ballistic missiles and advanced long range air defence systems deployed at Fujian. The navy is decrepit short of a few advanced La Fayette frigate, but they can't do much without air support in such small numbers.

Tanks and artillery are simply cannon fodder for UAVs these days. The only real hope from a military perspective is urban warfare, but given the strength of the PLA intelligence and propaganda apparatus coupled with the low morale and strawberry mentality of young Taiwanese, the chance of this happening Gaza style is close to zero.

"Taiwan doesn’t need all this crap. To have a decent chance of surviving the first few days of onslaught what they need are F35s, Aleigh Burke Destroyers, Predator UAVs and large quantities of long range cruise missiles, anti-air defence and EW equipment."

Correct. 
US is trying to be funny, one hand urging Taiwan to be ready for war, fight for democracy. 
Another hand refrain from selling 5th generation weapons to Taiwan. 

China is a very formidable militarise country. Her sheer size can crush Taiwan badly. Similarly to what Russia done to Ukraine. Flatten that poor country. 

If US is serious in helping Taiwan to win a war, they should sell the similar weapons as they sold to Japan.

What teeth?! Starlight!?

(19-04-2024, 03:54 PM)teaserteam Wrote:  Export to China has fallen by 50% and they now export more to ASEAN and the US.
https://en.macromicro.me/collections/13/...-countries
They are gaining back their losses

Suggest you read the chart again - your "50%" is base don which figure? Between Dec to Feb seasonal change due to CNY holidays ?

The larger data shows Chinese Taipei remains one of the key players in the larger China trade eco-system which even the US cannot replace, no matter how US gov force Taiwanese businesses (read TSMC) to setup shops in Arizona.
[Image: full.png]

You've got friendly neighbours? Grow Up! 李光耀 2013

Russia just allowed China to build a naval base at the eastern side of Russia, their effort will be wasted and the first line of defence will break immediately.
The first country to be very worried is not ROC but Japan.

有时真的觉得老美,真的很愚蠢。
你们越推俄罗斯去倾向中国,难道不会弄巧成拙吗?

I think there will be a good show coming out soon in SEA. 千万别逼猛虎跳墙!

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(22-04-2024, 12:25 AM)Manthink Wrote:  Suggest you read the chart again - your "50%" is base don which figure? Between Dec to Feb seasonal change due to CNY holidays ?

The larger data shows Chinese Taipei remains one of the key players in the larger China trade eco-system which even the US cannot replace, no matter how US gov force Taiwanese businesses (read TSMC) to setup shops in Arizona.
[Image: full.png]

It is 2024 data recent month data, Tw export to mC fell below to US. 
US trade deficit with mC dip but deficit with Tw increased.
It could be permanent trend given mC begin its own chip production, need to monitor.

2023 without favorable chip price, economy grew slower.
Taiwan Q4 preliminary GDP beats forecast, 2023 growth at 1.4%
Jan 31, 2024Full year growth of 1.4% slightly missed the statistics bureau's November forecast of 1.42%, its slowest pace in 14 years and lower than the 2.45% growth for 2022. The economy in China, Taiwan's largest export market, grew

Mar 6, 2024Published by C. Textor , Mar 6, 2024. In 2023, the annual growth rate of the real gross domestic product (GDP) in Taiwan amounted to approximately 1.3 percent. GDP refers to the total market value ...

Anyway DT asked before the benefits of defending Tw , so he know it is not to US interests.
With US coming pension problems, are they too free.
What will US young think, if they return home after war to see their working opportunities taken away.
So selling weapons is to much better than send troop in.

ASML is going to be in trouble.
Their revenue plunged by half.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"