ST: Feeding 8 kids on $300 a week: How big families cope in a time of rising costs

[Image: 6KHrlJW.png]

真會生。。

8 kids? He wan to 八仙过海 is it?
[+] 1 user Likes Sharexchange's post

Look like suffering
paint anyway u like
[+] 1 user Likes singlon's post

(11-04-2022, 07:47 AM)singlon Wrote:  Look like suffering
paint anyway u like

They are all smiling u cannot see meh? After 20 years all his kids workiny adults 8 X 4000 = $32000 per month. Can live in Bungalow liao. U leh?
[+] 1 user Likes Sharexchange's post

(11-04-2022, 07:56 AM)Sharexchange Wrote:  They are all smiling u cannot see meh? After 20 years all his kids workiny adults 8 X 4000 = $32000 per month. Can live in Bungalow liao. U leh?

the couple must be having high sex drive

we know sotong in operation
CULLING
[Image: Screenshot-from-2022-04-07-11-24-00.png]

Gang of 5 going to save FAMILY
[Image: Screenshot-from-2022-04-11-02-09-26.png]
[+] 1 user Likes singlon's post

either a very rich man..................or suicidal.................
[+] 1 user Likes Napoleon Porlumpar's post

$300 per week for feeding 8 kids + 2 adults should barely scrap through with simple meals only and not including other household payments like water, electric, medical, transport etc. This was before the recent hike in cost of living due to war, tax increase and other reasons where basic food cost has increased around 35% from my rough estimate basing on my weekly food purchases. 
So down the road from here I think their $300 per week might not be enough to give decent meals. May be $450 might get the same meals as they get before the hike..... Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung
[+] 1 user Likes Huliwang's post

Currently none of the 8 kids are in tertiary education, the real difficulty will come when they all start to reach poly/uni level consecutively over the next 16 years. From the way it's reported, I doubt they have any real savings and it's not realistic to expect all the kids to go on scholarships. Whatever left in his CPF OA is unlikely to even support through the first 2 kids, so it's cold hard cash even for the basic school fees in uni and poly.

This means quite a number of them will end up studying in schools and courses which isn't their choice due to financial constraints. Likely a few of them will also need to terminate school early (e.g. after poly go out to work even though they can continue to university) in order to lighten the family load. Any education that involves lab work, art related or require overseas travel is also out as these tend to be expensive.
[+] 1 user Likes maxsanic's post

[Image: IMG-20220411-101714.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220411-102124-800.jpg]

(11-04-2022, 10:17 AM)maxsanic Wrote:  Currently none of the 8 kids are in tertiary education, the real difficulty will come when they all start to reach poly/uni level consecutively over the next 16 years. From the way it's reported, I doubt they have any real savings and it's not realistic to expect all the kids to go on scholarships. Whatever left in his CPF OA is unlikely to even support through the first 2 kids, so it's cold hard cash even for the basic school fees in uni and poly.

This means quite a number of them will end up studying in schools and courses which isn't their choice due to financial constraints. Likely a few of them will also need to terminate school early (e.g. after poly go out to work even though they can continue to university) in order to lighten the family load. Any education that involves lab work, art related or require overseas travel is also out as these tend to be expensive.

the going is rough, they will find ways. kids in poly, uni has ways to find their side income. 
more help is also available from gov. surely it is more useful for gov to max ability of citizen to increase ability. the pay back later will be higher tax and lesser payout to help.

one way to save money on fuel in house is to switch to more efficient cooking tools.
induction cooker is a lot more efficient to transfer energy.

filling up the fridge empty space with containers will reduce energy needed to cool the smaller space. same principle apply to aircon room.

washing with tap on. little water and large amount of water washes the same, it is the contact surface that counts. but the amount of water used is quite different.
[+] 1 user Likes sclim's post

(11-04-2022, 10:17 AM)maxsanic Wrote:  Currently none of the 8 kids are in tertiary education, the real difficulty will come when they all start to reach poly/uni level consecutively over the next 16 years. From the way it's reported, I doubt they have any real savings and it's not realistic to expect all the kids to go on scholarships. Whatever left in his CPF OA is unlikely to even support through the first 2 kids, so it's cold hard cash even for the basic school fees in uni and poly.

I know an NUS student who received financial assistance from the government throughout her 4 years in the university. Every financial year she needed to submit the estimated transport, food and other expenses for approval. The government would then disperse the appropriate amount to her. Her parents are in the 50s, father was an Engineer but jobless, mother could not get a permanent administrative job. The mother told me that her daughter's study was fully financed by the government. She need not have to worry about it.

This family really have a carefree lifestyle; unlike you and me having to slog so hard to send our children to the university.

This is where your GST goes to.
[+] 1 user Likes Clyde's post

heard of families with 10 kids

(11-04-2022, 10:48 AM)Clyde Wrote:  I know an NUS student who received financial assistance from the government throughout her 4 years in the university. Every financial year she needed to submit the estimated transport, food and other expenses for approval. The government would then disperse the appropriate amount to her. Her parents are in the 50s, father was an Engineer but jobless, mother could not get a permanent administrative job. The mother told me that her daughter's study was fully financed by the government. She need not have to worry about it.

This family really have a carefree lifestyle; unlike you and me having to slog so hard to send our children to the university.

Yes I think there will certainly be some help here and there, but ultimately their options are going to be more restrictive. Not against their choices since to date as they don't seem to be societal leeches who just live on welfare, so it's their money and life anyway. I'm just remarking the real challenge is going to come when all these kids hit tertiary years.

(11-04-2022, 10:48 AM)Clyde Wrote:  I know an NUS student who received financial assistance from the government throughout her 4 years in the university. Every financial year she needed to submit the estimated transport, food and other expenses for approval. The government would then disperse the appropriate amount to her. Her parents are in the 50s, father was an Engineer but jobless, mother could not get a permanent administrative job. The mother told me that her daughter's study was fully financed by the government. She need not have to worry about it.

that should be the way. we cannot let finances stop children from educAtion

I just came to know , he is CIVIL SERVANT, MUST BE super scale one Earn a decent responsible amount. It stated ONLY ONE INCOME that is from the Hubby just to feed 8 kids.

NO Need fear retrenchment
Yearly TWO BONUS, mid and Year end
Yearly Increments

etc etc