Do you know why some HDB’s external walls are stained with mould? Black black?

[Image: IMG-1277.jpg]

Because people use aircon everyday with very low temperature and the condensation causes the external walls to be very wet
[+] 1 user Likes LittleBirdStreet's post

S'pore is hot, humid and with a lot of rain lately. Is it any wonder that mold is thriving on so many buildings? Not just HDB blocks.
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

In Bukit Panjang there are a lot of HDBs like that not just in Seng Kang

(07-02-2024, 03:42 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  S'pore is hot, humid and with a lot of rain lately. Is it any wonder that mould is thriving on so many buildings? Not just HDB blocks.

That is true but I am talking about the problems of HDB flats, one if the reasons is aircon too cold in the room, as a result the wall in the other room or external wall get wet. 

[Image: IMG-1278.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1279.jpg]

When the temperature in one room is 21 degree while the other room is 32 degree, it will cause the water vapour in the air of the hotter room to accumulate to the wall. This is similar to the case when you grab a can of coke or beer from your fridge you see water stains all over the can due to condensation. So dunt just blame the weather the residents who use aircon on daily basis are to be blamed or they are simply ignorant
[+] 2 users Like LittleBirdStreet's post

(07-02-2024, 03:43 PM)LittleBirdStreet Wrote:  In Bukit Panjang there are a lot of HDBs like that not just in Seng Kang

The condos at Bukit Timah Hill need to be repainted every 4-5 years owing to the unsightly mold formation. The humidity of the hill and forest reserve are contributory factors.

(07-02-2024, 03:52 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  The condos at Bukit Timah Hill need to be repainted every 4-5 years owing to the unsightly mould formation. The humidity of the hill and forest reserve are contributory factors.

Humidity is one reason but aircon condensation is the other reason

(07-02-2024, 03:52 PM)LittleBirdStreet Wrote:  That is true but I am talking about the problems of HDB flats, one if the reasons is aircon too cold in the room, as a result the wall in the other room or external wall get wet. When the temperature in one room is 21 degree while the other room is 32 degree, it will cause the water vapour in the air of the hotter room to accumulate to the wall. This is similar to the case when you grab a can of coke or beer from your fridge you see water all over the cab due to condensation. So dunt just blame the weather the residents who use aircon on daily basis are to be blamed or they are simply ignorant

My friend uses a CPAP machine as he has sleep apnoea. There is condensation inside the unit owing to him sleeping in an aircon bedroom exposed to the afternoon sun while he is at work in the daytime.  

(07-02-2024, 03:52 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  The condos at Bukit Timah Hill need to be repainted every 4-5 years owing to the unsightly mould formation. The humidity of the hill and forest reserve are contributory factors.

[Image: IMG-1281.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1280.jpg]

(07-02-2024, 03:42 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  S'pore is hot, humid and with a lot of rain lately. Is it any wonder that mould is thriving on so many buildings? Not just HDB blocks.

HDB can only repaint the external wall but you have to fix the condensation problem to your walls at home as it will turn your walls mouldy sooner or later.

(07-02-2024, 03:40 PM)LittleBirdStreet Wrote:  [Image: IMG-1277.jpg]

mold or mould

(07-02-2024, 04:21 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  mold or mould

Modi…

[Image: IMG-1282.gif]

(07-02-2024, 03:59 PM)LittleBirdStreet Wrote:  HDB can only repaint the external wall but you have to fix the condensation problem to your walls at home as it will turn your walls mouldy sooner or later.

with the kind of watered down cheap paint they're using ?? Cool

(07-02-2024, 05:39 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  with the kind of watered down cheap paint they're using ?? Cool

undetectable corruption paint

(07-02-2024, 03:41 PM)LittleBirdStreet Wrote:  Because people use aircon everyday with very low temperature and the condensation causes the external walls to be very wet

Moisture attracts mold. Smile

(07-02-2024, 03:41 PM)LittleBirdStreet Wrote:  Because people use aircon everyday with very low temperature and the condensation causes the external walls to be very wet

But not everyone switches on aircon round the clock leh.
It is not that simple.
You come to older estate, you won’t see mould issue so common lah.

The real reason is newer estate(maximise profit) is building too close to each other. Lack of direct sunlight to dry up the wall.

The designer also never includes humid factor.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(07-02-2024, 05:39 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  with the kind of watered down cheap paint they're using ?? Cool

The subcontractors are using low quality paint to maximise profit?

(07-02-2024, 06:04 PM)Blin Wrote:  Moisture attracts mold. Smile

Condensation also

(07-02-2024, 06:16 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  But not everyone switches on aircon round the clock leh.
It is not that simple.
You come to older estate, you won’t see mould issue so common lah.

The real reason is newer estate(maximise profit) is building too close to each other. Lack of direct sunlight to dry up the wall.

The designer also never includes humid factor.

Maybe they should erect a number of mega fans to blow  the HDB external walls every night.

never used this paint

[Image: 20171103170256LSPG8IQQYBS7M_700.jpg]

(07-02-2024, 04:21 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  mold or mould

US and British spelling.
Mould is British spelling.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(07-02-2024, 06:38 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  never used this paint

[Image: 20171103170256LSPG8IQQYBS7M_700.jpg]

Bullshxt lah.
Mould issue happens sometimes it is due to hollow wall, rain water is trapped in it, cannot dry up in time. You need to solve the root cause.

这只是治标不治本lah.

(07-02-2024, 06:35 PM)LittleBirdStreet Wrote:  Maybe they should erect a number of mega fans to blow  the HDB external walls every night.

This is design issue. Who will come out to admit?
As usual they will blame the weather.

i thot they paint every 6 years?

(07-02-2024, 03:40 PM)LittleBirdStreet Wrote:  [Image: IMG-1277.jpg]

i think contractor use low quality paint and make lot of profit from town council..

cannot be aircon so powerful. My wife use aircon 24/7.. yet my wall not black black,,,, very white like Ah moi backside..hehehe
[+] 1 user Likes victortan's post

Cheap paint or how many years never paint

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️

(07-02-2024, 06:04 PM)Blin Wrote:  Moisture attracts mold. Smile

If that is the case all the HDB’s external walls will turn black not just in Seng Kang