Driver fails to stop at zebra crossing, hits cyclist

Driver fails to stop at zebra crossing, hits cyclist 

https://tnp.straitstimes.com/news/singap...ts-cyclist

(13-03-2024, 10:45 AM)Bigiron Wrote:  Driver fails to stop at zebra crossing, hits cyclist 

https://tnp.straitstimes.com/news/singap...ts-cyclist

i encountered many cases especially cars driven by phv

i hv the right of way yet they ignored traffic rules  not slowing n stopping at stop signs n a white line dran at junction,once kena they will regret becos:

demerit pts fr company n lta n tp
insurance problem
they hv no brain to think deeper n wider to avoid trouble
[+] 1 user Likes talky's post

Aiya cyclists always assume they've the right of way even when they're in the wrong ways

First and foremost, they shd hv dismounted from the bikes and pushed them across the crossings. Secondly, they sometimes turned onto the pedestrian crossing suddenly without giving sufficient notice the oncoming traffic
[+] 3 users Like WhatDoYouThink!'s post

Then bye bye with all their right loh
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post

Bicycle by law don't have to dismount to push across pedestrian crossing. 
But need to slow down, watch out for vehicles to stop or slow down.
For own safety,  let the vehicle cross the zebra crossing eventhough they should stop.

The reporter make a wrong statement. 

Reply by Minister for Transport S Iswaran:

Pedestrian crossings with CoopeRative and UnIfied Smart Traffic SystEm (CRUISE) are no different from other typical crossings. 
Cyclists and pedestrians can continue to use them the same way by activating the green man light with the push buttons installed on traffic light poles. 

Cyclists are not required to dismount at pedestrian crossings but are required to slow down, stop, and look out for oncoming traffic before crossing.

[Image: IMG-20240313-144053.jpg]

See the last few lines

The driver's eye scope is limited. The cyclist is most properly out of scope when the former is turning. This is due to the speed of the cyclist. The reaction time is reduced.

The lesson for the cyclist is to slow down like walking at the zebra crossing.

Cars hv many blind spots, whereas cyclists hv full views of the cars.

Cars are metal wrapping flesh, bikes are flesh wrapping metal.

So pls be more understanding. No point to be always right

My previous reply is when the video is not around.

You see the speed of the cyclist.

https://fb.watch/qN36lkio2f/

(13-03-2024, 02:41 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  [Image: IMG-20240313-144053.jpg]

See the last few lines

Cyclists, PMD riders should slow down, stop and check traffic before crossing

Media Replies 21 Feb 2022 active mobility personal mobility device
We refer to Mr Kor Choy Yim’s letter (ST, 10 Feb 2022) on safe practices at zebra crossings.

We hope all road users can similarly follow Mr Kor’s lead to slow down when approaching a zebra crossing and be alert at all times.

While cyclists and Personal Mobility Device (PMD) users are not required to dismount at zebra crossings, they too must slow down, stop and look out for oncoming traffic before crossing. This improves safety for themselves as well as other road users who will then be able to better anticipate their movement.

Mandating that cyclists and PMD riders dismount at crossings could introduce additional risks, particularly for those with pillion riders, or are carrying loads. Seniors may also find it challenging if they must dismount their devices repeatedly

Safety is a shared responsibility and we need everyone to do their part to keep our paths and roads safe.  LTA will continue to work closely with the community and other agencies to promote safety awareness and civic responsibility.

Chan Boon Fui

Group Director, Active Mobility Group

Land Transport Authority

Latest update rule from LTA.

FYI only... 😊

Many drivers still don't know about this change of rule. So blaming cyclists for not dismounting at pedestrian crossings doesn't help in accident case.

(13-03-2024, 01:05 PM)talky Wrote:  i encountered many cases especially cars driven by phv  i hv the right of way yet they ignored traffic rules  not slowing n stopping at stop signs n a white line dran at junction,once kena they will regret becos: demerit pts fr company n lta n tp insurance problem they hv no brain to think deeper n wider to avoid trouble

PHV drivers are either young, elderly and/or former cabbies who spend long hours on the road. This is why I steer clear of them when I am driving.

(13-03-2024, 03:16 PM)theold Wrote:  My previous reply is when the video is not around.

MOTORISTS COMING OUT FR MINOR ROAD SHLD SCAN LEFT N RIGHT TO WATCH OUT FOR OTHERS ON THE MAIN RD.

WORST IS MOTORISTS DO NOT SLOW DOWN  OR STOP AT STOP SIGNS N A WHITE LINE DRAWN AT THE JUNCTION.
THEAY ARE BULLIES TO PEDESTRAINS N CYCLISTS \SAME AS TRUCKS N LORRIES ARE BULLIES TO MOTORISTS

Was there a change of rules? No wonder now cyclists are more brazen, and causing more road accidents, and bye bye with more rights

(13-03-2024, 02:59 PM)theold Wrote:  The driver's eye scope is limited. The cyclist is most properly out of scope when the former is turning. This is due to the speed of the cyclist. The reaction time is reduced. The lesson for the cyclist is to slow down like walking at the zebra crossing.

Cyclists must dismount from their bikes and walk along the zebra crossing like pedestrians.

(13-03-2024, 03:16 PM)theold Wrote:  My previous reply is when the video is not around.

No point to hv the right of way.

(13-03-2024, 04:01 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Was there a change of rules? No wonder now cyclists are more brazen, and causing more road accidents, and bye bye with more rights

Yes, no longer need to dismount and push. 
But must slow or stop, before riding slowly across. 

Anyway, before rule was changed, very few dismounted because there are just too many traffic lights on our roads.

Drivers hv to be extra cautious. Like in the above video, when you see other vehicles stop at the crossings and yr view is blocked, you must aso stop. New drivers may not be aware of it

ban all cyclists from the road cos they never pay for road tax.

Fine and jail the cyclist, lah

Never pay COE still so papaya

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

No video? From the picture, it looks like the cyclist collided onto the car!

Ask the AMAP/LTA/BYK for comments!

Before: At your service; After: Serves you right!

[Image: IMG-20240313-175304.jpg]

Orange you take, it says dismount and push.

(13-03-2024, 05:07 PM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  ban all cyclists from the road cos they never pay for road tax.

There are still many cyclists riding 2 abreast and in convoys during morning rush hour on weekdays along Bukit Timah Road, Upper Bukit Timah Road, Dunearn Road, Ulu Pandan, Holland Road etc. 

i still see many cyclists riding their machine w/o brakes

See the last few lines

The problem is it is do not cycle, not must not cycle.

孤掌难鸣lah.
Car also must exercise their patience to slow down or stop the vehicle to look out for pedestrian, cyclist, PMD riders before driving.

Sg law is big vehicle hits small vehicle, big vehicle at fault.
But In US, you can debate.

For driver never speed on traffic light and zebra crossing. Dont say I never warn.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

See the last few lines

no use, driver still ganna jialut jialut
cyclist at most ganna small fine only
driver ganna worst fine

(13-03-2024, 05:54 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  [Image: IMG-20240313-175304.jpg]

Orange you take, it says dismount and push.

useless, many drivers already hit cyclists at Zebra, argue with TP until tomorrow still ganna jialut jialut

there was one time, a cyclist dash out in between cars and hit my vehicle at the side. this one different, my car was stationary or extremely slow, he hits me, and not i hit him. I make him pay $50 for the scratch and let him off

(13-03-2024, 06:56 PM)TopSage Wrote:  useless, many drivers already hit cyclists at Zebra, argue with TP until tomorrow still ganna jialut jialut

I know. But some said the latest is no need to dismount, and the st article published this photo which said otherwise

(13-03-2024, 06:59 PM)TopSage Wrote:  there was one time, a cyclist dash out in between cars and hit my vehicle at the side. this one different, my car was stationary or extremely slow, he hits me, and not i hit him. I make him pay $50 for the scratch and let him off

A Grabfood rider struck the side of my driver's door while weaving in and out of stationary traffic last year, but he rode off without so much as an apology. There was a slight but noticeable dent.

Cancel his license so that he will be banned for driving for life.