Forum: Seniors should not stand in the way of younger staff

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/for...nger-staff

Singapore must tread carefully in handling the issue of raising the retirement and re-employment ages. Care must be taken not to cause resentment on the part of younger workers.

Workers in their prime (early to late 30s) might not be able to advance in the company's hierarchy if the seniors above them won't retire.

Older workers who can afford to retire early should give the younger generation a chance to climb up. They can always volunteer or offer mentorship to the young if they are bored with retirement.

If too many seniors cling to their jobs even when they don't need them, there may be fewer opportunities for the next generation.

Francis Cheng
[+] 2 users Like forum456's post

The letter writer has a point. It's like the case in Europe where youth unemployment is very high (>30%) because the older folks don't want to retire. I previously met a Spanish bummer in Bali who decided to spend his days surfing and slacking, because there was no job for him back home.

nowadays senior positions in govt sectors are by rotations. unlike the olden days whereby the incumbents would stay at the top till retire. so the letter writer's concern is obsolete.

Young punks should not takeover the jobs of the more experience older staff.

If you look at City Dev, you will know why.

8Umbrella Umbrella
[+] 2 users Like klat's post

Talking abt PAP ah?

Dear Francis

You should tell the useless PAP to make sure the middle-age have good jobs so that they can retire at 60 years old.

Unfortunately, 4G PAP is a big bunch of over-paid failures for many years.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 2 users Like Ola's post

When I read the headline..it sounded like he is complaining about LHL.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

Many seniors got no choice leh.

Its the CPF scheme thats causing the current teething issue.
[+] 1 user Likes Sharexchange's post

The hidden agenda from straitstimes & Francis Cheng
is trying to say is elder workforce not foreign workforce obstructing them...

(09-11-2021, 05:11 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  When I read the headline..it sounded like he is complaining about LHL.

PM Lee is 69+ going to 70, but still clinging on to the PM post, does he need the money to survive or he does not know what to do when he retires.... Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

common, gibmeabreak!

its not the young has no chance
it's the young presently eyeing the throne has no patience!
the young will always take over. its only when.
and it shld not be dictated by the young!
get it!

It happens quite often and has to do with the general career trajectory of an average PME. Realistically, most PMEs leave school and join the workforce as entry level executives. Barring the strong performers, most people will gradually move up the career ranks until they reach around Assistant Manager or Manager level in their late 30s or early 40s.

After that for most people career will plateau as they have already reached their limits and can no longer move up anymore. But at this stage they are still decades away from retirement and there are only so many management jobs in a company, that is where they end up as blockers preventing those younger ones.

A lot of times retrenching / terminating older workers is as much about trying to satisfy the younger staff as it is about cost cutting. It’s pointless for the government to keep increasing retirement age without the necessary increase in supply of jobs for those above 50.

INDIRECTLY

ISN'T THIS IS WHAT HAPPEN INSIDE FOR CIVIL SERVANTS ???
SO MANY OLD CIVIL SERVANTS INSIDE WORST IS NOT WORKING JUST HAPPY WAITING FOR RETIRE YET GET PAY REASONABLE THAN OTHERS IN PRIVATE.