Thailand pushes Kra Canal with strong backers.

Let's see..

1) Dock at Chumphon. Unload your containers
2) Load your containers to container truck
3) Travel across the bridge to Ranong
4)Container truck unload containers
5) Load containers to ship

If the opportunity cost saved from the above is more than going via Singapore, then it make sense..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

Thai Muslim separatist movement will be waiting for this to happen and take control of the southern tip of Thailand.

(01-12-2021, 10:32 PM)ArielCasper Wrote:  Let's see..

1) Dock at Chumphon. Unload your containers
2) Load your containers to container truck
3) Travel across the bridge to Ranong
4)Container truck unload containers
5) Load containers to ship

If the opportunity cost saved from the above is more than going via Singapore, then it make sense..

Whether the land bridge ports will attract transhipment traffic will be debatable.
But for containers originating from Thailand and Laos, as well as Southwest China, a rail-sea link via this Ranong port to India, MiddleEast, Africa and Europe will definitely be very attractive and time saving.

Eg a manufacturer in the EEC only require a 730km rail trip for its container to reach the Ranong port. If train runs at 80km/h, the trip will take a mere 10 hours to reach the Andaman coast (sea). Loading time at the Ranong port should be equal to the loading time at the Chon Buri port, so this can be ignored.
However the transhipment time at Spore will be saved. Moreover shipment time from the EEC port to Spore alone also takes 3 days!
Total time for the container to reach the Andaman sea from EEC port via Spore will thus be at least 5 days.
Surely a Thai exporter will choose the 10 hours rail trip over the 5-6 days sea route. And it will be attractive to Thailand too as the total cost for the 10 hour trip will ALL be added to its GDP unlike the 5-6 days trip via the Malacca Straits.

As for the port traffic potential, the annual 20mln TEUs estimate should be a reasonable imo.
Total annual TEUs handled by the Thailand ports are 10mln+ currently, so there should be around 5mln TEUs that are heading westward.
15mln TEUs from land-locked provinces in Southwest China (Yunan, Sichuan, Chongqing, Guizhou, Hunan) via this rail-sea link should be achievable given the much higher population there than Thailand (70mln). 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/hom...05/zoom:10

(01-12-2021, 11:27 PM)sgxin Wrote:  Whether the land bridge ports will attract transhipment traffic will be debatable.
But for containers originating from Thailand and Laos, as well as Southwest China, a rail-sea link via this Ranong port to India, MiddleEast, Africa and Europe will definitely be very attractive and time saving.

Eg a manufacturer in the EEC only require a 730km rail trip for its container to reach the Ranong port. If train runs at 80km/h, the trip will take a mere 10 hours to reach the Andaman coast (sea). Loading time at the Ranong port should be equal to the loading time at the Chon Buri port, so this can be ignored.
However the transhipment time at Spore will be saved. Moreover shipment time from the EEC port to Spore alone also takes 3 days!
Total time for the container to reach the Andaman sea from EEC port via Spore will thus be at least 5 days.
Surely a Thai exporter will choose the 10 hours rail trip over the 5-6 days sea route. And it will be attractive to Thailand too as the total cost for the 10 hour trip will ALL be added to its GDP unlike the 5-6 days trip via the Malacca Straits.

As for the port traffic potential, the annual 20mln TEUs estimate should be a reasonable imo.
Total annual TEUs handled by the Thailand ports are 10mln+ currently, so there should be around 5mln TEUs that are heading westward.
15mln TEUs from land-locked provinces in Southwest China (Yunan, Sichuan, Chongqing, Guizhou, Hunan) via this rail-sea link should be achievable given the much higher population there than Thailand (70mln). 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/hom...05/zoom:10
Good analysis.. but if the port is only going to be confirmed beneficial to Thailand, will there be enough volume to support the port and also convinced others to dock there??

There is quite a few big If to be resolved for this to be successful..

Also, for southwest china, I am not too sure how linked up is it with the China-Europe Railway Express. If well linked, the canal also have to complete with that path..

At the end, I am not saying it will fail, but we are having more and more options these days, even Trans-Arctic Route might become operational in near future..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..