I helped my mom move her savings to offline accounts

These accounts have no internet access. ATM card can still be used but there is no possibility of hackers and scammers going into her phone and withdrawing her life savings.

I just felt the risk has gone too high now with the frequency of cases rising every months with hundreds if not thousands of victims. Recent case of scammer being able to enter CPF accounts and withdraw person's money shows that nothing online.is safe. If they can get into CPF stealing through your online.bamk.account is nothing. 

There is no reason for elderly to have online banking. It just creates another avenues.for scammers

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 2 users Like sgbuffett's post

The law should be amended to castrate scammers Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

TS make sure they are pure atm cards, not debit cards. Debit cards will still kenna
[+] 1 user Likes Sickwarfare's post

Smile
my parents don't even use online banking, prefer Hard cold cash.

even I.

I don't use what grab food app, those PHV app etc .

want to eat just go downstairs buy , so many coffeeshops around my place
if need take taxi just go taxi stand or at roadside wave my hand but usually I take MRT or bus.

(18-06-2023, 07:22 PM)Sickwarfare Wrote:  TS make sure they are pure atm cards, not debit cards. Debit cards will still kenna

Real life example

https://www.bannedsite.com/forum/chillin...ompromised

Aiyoh!

Scammers making banks look like Alibaba's Cave

And Shoot Blank Queen still getting elderly folks to learn digi like flat pancake

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/watch/jo...me-2985236

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(18-06-2023, 07:23 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  Smile
my parents don't even use online banking, prefer Hard cold cash.

even I.

I don't use what grab food app, those PHV app etc .

want to eat just go downstairs buy , so many coffeeshops around my place
if need take taxi just go taxi stand or at roadside wave my hand but usually I take MRT or bus.
Any services that you registered with yr credit cards or debit cards are not safe. Scammers who are expert IT-knowledgeable can hacked into websites and steal info. Online purchases and even grab taxi bookings are vulnerable.

(18-06-2023, 07:14 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  These accounts have no internet access. ATM card can still be used but there is no possibility of hackers and scammers going into her phone and withdrawing her life savings.

I just felt the risk has gone too high now with the frequency of cases rising every months with hundreds if not thousands of victims. Recent case of scammer being able to enter CPF accounts and withdraw person's money shows that nothing online.is safe. If they can get into CPF stealing through your online.bamk.account is nothing. 

There is no reason for elderly to have online banking. It just creates another avenues.for scammers
Best is kept all money in tin boxes, like our father father used to do..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

Just set daily limit to $500, becos i think greedy scammers probably dun want to scam for 500 or less.

Confused

(18-06-2023, 07:45 PM)Gemstar Wrote:  Any services that you registered with yr credit cards or debit cards are not safe. Scammers who are expert IT-knowledgeable can hacked into websites and steal info. Online purchases and even grab taxi bookings are vulnerable.

Just don’t put so much money on that account which you use to do online purchases etc

Credit cards still ok, because the payments are not made immediately. Debit cards are quite dangerous

TS, is there even such option when u put saving/FD accounts ?? which bank has this?

(18-06-2023, 07:26 PM)Ola Wrote:  Aiyoh!

Scammers making banks look like Alibaba's Cave

And Shoot Blank Queen still getting elderly folks to learn digi like flat pancake

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/watch/jo...me-2985236

She's like a rat running on a hamster wheel.

Not just moving offline but all of us should  remove payment apps and wallet from our handphones. There is no need to pursue convenience with high risks.

Win the World but lost your Soul. 
[+] 1 user Likes Symmetry's post

(18-06-2023, 09:00 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Credit cards still ok, because the payments are not made immediately. Debit cards are quite dangerous

Actually I using debit card but that account i don’t put so much money

My main account only link with ATM card.

(18-06-2023, 07:22 PM)Sickwarfare Wrote:  TS make sure they are pure atm cards, not debit cards. Debit cards will still kenna

Of course lah....even for myself I don't have debt card because one of my friends had unauthorized trabscations deducted from his debit account.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(18-06-2023, 08:58 PM)ODA TETSURO Wrote:  Just set daily limit to $500, becos i think greedy scammers probably dun want to scam for 500 or less.

I think useless to set limit also because scammers can enter your account and remove the limit.   Big Grin

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung
[+] 2 users Like Huliwang's post

the banks can help by blocking out transfer request comming from outside of singapore ip range.
and all know proxy servers within singapore.
dynamic address by some telco is a problem but they should still have a log of who is assign these address at the time frame.

local attempt to scam will be easier to locate and be arrested. so the probability is much lower. at the outside of singapore criminal is excluded.

Does your mum knows you move her money?
Heard some children move parents money to own account when old and blurr

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️

(18-06-2023, 07:24 PM)Nyvrem Wrote:  Real life example

https://www.bannedsite.com/forum/chillin...ompromised
Scary sia

With cases of people losing their CPF live savings, we need to take precautions to protect our loved ones.

https://thefinance.sg/2023/01/29/my-cpf-...y-missing/

Jo Teo where are you? Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

Some old people I feel sad for them because they lost money due to their stubbornness and inability to understand how handphone and internet works.

Must explain to her and get her consent. If move to a joint alternate account so you could help monitor and manage, isn't it better?

think is in his acc now

(18-06-2023, 07:21 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  The law should be amended to castrate scammers Big Grin
Yes. Do it ASAP.
(as soon as possible)
[+] 1 user Likes Tee tiong huat's post

(20-06-2023, 11:57 AM)Tee tiong huat Wrote:  Yes. Do it ASAP.
as soon as possible
With jail time

(18-06-2023, 07:14 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  These accounts have no internet access. ATM card can still be used but there is no possibility of hackers and scammers going into her phone and withdrawing her life savings.

Not all those who were scammed, online or off, were elderly.  Young peepur got scammed too.

I am in my 80s, but I am more savvy with online banking than you think.

I am able to rein in the major human weakness called "greed", and I am able to practise the virtue of "contentment".  These two safeguards are impregnable.

Of course, one must not be too smug because scammers have all kinds of tricks.  But if you are going to be paranoid, you might as well withdraw all your money and keep them in Milo tins.

Moving forward, we will require all banks to reimburse monies unlawfully withdrawn.  The onus of cybersecurity should be on institutions with the means to tighten their security, rather than on individual savers who don't have such means.

That said, I do understand that you would not want your mother's savings to be stolen by scammers, which you are eyeing.  You being poor, this has to be obviously enough one of your dreams that should be treaded on, ever so gently. Rolleyes

Just put the extra cash into FD and everything is settled. No others one can touch the FD

8Umbrella Umbrella

(19-06-2023, 10:09 PM)theold Wrote:  Some old people I feel sad for them because they lost money due to their stubbornness and inability to understand how handphone and internet works.
Don't expect too much on handphone and even worse to depend on internet works, to help work for old uncle or old auntie.