Man asks, “why SG employers only want degree holders for managerial positions?

(07-02-2024, 09:46 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  But every quarter, you boss will says, you are as good as the last quarter …. next Q, how?

But u HV degree, yr boss will still say the same thing right?

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

(07-02-2024, 12:44 PM)Bigiron Wrote:  Man asks, “why SG employers only want degree holders for managerial positions? What about our work experience?” 

https://theindependent.sg/man-asks-why-s...e_vignette

On a moral basis, I fully agree that a degree should not be a hard prerequisite for managerial positions. However we all know that the realities and attitudes on the ground are far more complicated and will take a long time to change.

What I don't understand is why these people would rather spend year after year complaining this injustice then just spend a few thousand dollars to "purchase" a business degree from many of the private universities available in Singapore. I believe the HR people in many companies are just following company policy and just want something that shows compliance to corporate policy, most people won't dig too deep especially if it's just an internal promotion.

I once told a non-degree colleague in private the same thing as well - "You can keep complaining to me or HR to lobby a change in corporate policy or just go get a degree ASAP so that I can put up your promotion and HR can check off the list for having met requirements". Thankfully he carried through my recommendation and got his promotion within a year.

It's ok to raise awareness, complain and advocate for change, but don't let this be an excuse to not work around the problem in the mean time.
[+] 1 user Likes maxsanic's post

(07-02-2024, 12:44 PM)Bigiron Wrote:  Man asks, “why SG employers only want degree holders for managerial positions? What about our work experience?” 

https://theindependent.sg/man-asks-why-s...e_vignette

No need work experience one lah! Big Grin

(07-02-2024, 11:54 PM)sgh Wrote:  Last time Spore only got NUS NTU so if graduated from there means make it. Now Spore so many Uni throw one stone will get one it has become cheap

Indeed.
Degree does not promise the person got managing skills
but when it is so common and everyone is expecting most to have it.
But then have to say some managers post wage quite low.

Climb through the ladder is rare.

It's difficult for a nongraduate to lead a group of graduates
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post

I have a few managers before who were either non graduates or graduated from lower tier unis. There was an even an American CEO of a listed company I worked for who didn't have a degree. Objectively, they were not very capable as managers. Unless we are referring to sales jobs, a degree education really open your eyes to running a big busines and managing people.

SG Employers are mostly uneducated bunch of people so they desperately need more degree holders to help them to do their job.

(08-02-2024, 02:10 PM)starbugs Wrote:  I have a few managers before who were either non graduates or graduated from lower tier unis. There was an even an American CEO of a listed company I worked for who didn't have a degree. Objectively, they were not very capable as managers. Unless we are referring to sales jobs, a degree education really open your eyes to running a big busines and managing people.

aiyah

i also work in a french company who the CEO is not a degree graduate

EVEN BILL GATES once microsoft CEO also do not have a degree

that beg the question why chao singkie keep voting PAP in to the singapore parliament is the same question as why SG employers only want degree holders for managerial positions

(08-02-2024, 07:32 AM)ArielCasper Wrote:  But u HV degree, yr boss will still say the same thing right?

Yes, that's apply only for a sales job ... because numbers are what you prove yourself ..
As for a degree, you post an ad for a sales manager .... you have 100+ CVs come in. How to choose? Of course, first cut those with a degree.
Now companies uses machine to filter the CVs ... hiring manger will click on the filter with degree first

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(08-02-2024, 01:17 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  It's difficult for a nongraduate to lead a group of graduates

In fact it is a hindrance to these graduates. I have seen non-graduates managers

1) refused to promote Engineer to senior position
2) Anything that turns out good, claimed that it is done by him alone. Anything that screw up is caused by his subordinates.
3) micro-manage those Engineers, fearing that their talent will be identified by the top management, hence threaten their positions in the company.
Because of these many good Engineers left the company.

However, those smart non-graduates could become a successful boss if they set up their own business. They are willing to take risk as there is nothing much to lose for them. I had a classmate who got lousy results every year during our Polytechnic time. He is a rich boss now, hiring graduates to run his business.
[+] 1 user Likes Clyde's post

(08-02-2024, 01:17 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  It's difficult for a nongraduate to lead a group of graduates

Depends lah! Big Grin If LaoPeh is somebody different liao lah!

Need someone to take responsibilty when happens also

(07-02-2024, 02:14 PM)Oyk Wrote:  sgtalk.net/User-Oyk AM FÜCKING 傻閪
sgtalk.net/User-Oyk AM FÜCKING 傻閪

(07-02-2024, 02:14 PM)Oyk Wrote:  sgtalk.net/User-Oyk ONE FÜCKING 豬頭