New notes for CNY hongbao create annual emissions equal to powering 430 HDB flats

Sue-Ann Tan
Business Correspondent
PUBLISHED JUL 28, 2022, 12:05 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - The carbon footprint of the excess new notes issued by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) to meet demand during festive periods such as Chinese New Year is comparable with the emissions from powering 430 four-room Housing Board flats annually.

It also makes up about 8 per cent of the total carbon emissions generated by the MAS, which will step up efforts to promote e-payments to reduce public demand for such new notes.

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/ba...-mas-chief

Any proof

MAS could have used a better analogy. To most people, powering 430 HDB flats seems like a very low number, considering there are more than 1 million HDB flats in Singapore.
[+] 1 user Likes starbugs's post

(29-07-2022, 09:54 AM)starbugs Wrote:  MAS could have used a better analogy. To most people, powering 430 HDB flats seems like a very low number, considering there are more than 1 million HDB flats in Singapore.

LOL. I was in the "most people" category when I read this news.

Very silly thinking of using new notes for cny. And out MAS ia also stup#d to issue them during cny. Talk so much about saving the earth.

all these finding really? lol.
car getting more and more powerful by the days,
plane more and more luxury by the night... .... etc,
they help to save the earth? Rotfl

(29-07-2022, 10:57 AM)mikotan Wrote:  Very silly thinking of using new notes for cny. And out MAS ia also stup#d to issue them during cny. Talk so much about saving the earth.

This I agree. Old notes should be ok too. For those who do not like old notes, can give to me after receiving them during CNY.

PAP can waste alot of money and other emissions, too

But who pays for it?

Annually have different Army Generals do rehearsal for NDP

and so much electricity wasted!

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(29-07-2022, 09:44 AM)Bigbluedot Wrote:  Any proof

Bullshit imo as MAS can always choose a printer that has access to renewable energy source.

Eg Chinese printer that had printed the Thai & Malaysian notes in the past:
[+] 1 user Likes sgxin's post

The whole Europe is burning coal and wood again.

How come nobody fxxk them?  Thinking
[+] 1 user Likes cityhantam's post

What is the problem? Those new notes, after using as hongpao, can be used in normal day. MAS should remove all the old and dirty notes in circulation as many cash deposit and cash -top-up machines reject them.

Make a mountain out if a mole hill.

Ucran war. produce how many tons? Hypocrite.

New year is annual event leh.. there are many ppl and different thinking... else we can cancel this holiday.

Is it that serious? then why is there a coal plant in Sg?

I thought Singapore needs to replace the old notes every year anyway.

It's a dumb PR move by MAS.

They could have said the new notes have the same carbon footprint of powering 150,000 HDB flats for a day. See the difference.

Now everyone just thinks the 430 flats figure is just making a mountain out of a molehill.

look like some idiots all out trying to destroy our local culture.

No more brand new notes for sure at next CNY.
Advanced insinuations given.

They prefer you to use digital ang paos.
Aggressive push.

Then can we say the sacrificial slaughter of livestock during Hari Raya Haji is cruelty to animals?

Traditions can die naturally (like people less willing to celebrate CNY), but not in the name of some stupid cause..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..