PM Lee:We can continue to welcome foreign workers and new immigrants

For those who had tried starting a business in other country other than SG, they should know the in and out of how "guan xi" works.
For SG there is no exception, a foreign top management can hire their country man to work here at a special arrangement. That is why the authority must really bucked up otherwise we will lose out in the future, cause we are rising them instead of our own people. SG cannot rely on new citizen too much, as they may one day leave for greener pasture just like what they did to their current homeland.

(09-08-2021, 10:23 AM)A2Z Wrote:  If PM is very serious to lower foreign content he has placed the wrong guy in charge of our education. Our education system is slow to make our students be relevant for the employment sector. Moving forward everything will be digital, AI, etc schools must get such syllabus into their timetable.

education is important, but to gain the necessary job experiences/expertise is just as important.
if our youngsters cannot get good jobs, then what job experiences/expertise can they have?
and please lah, not phv, securities or cleaner jobs.
the job market is currently dominated by foreigners and new citizens at all level. 
even if they employ you, do you think the locals can take the constant bombardments, so as to make sure you leave to justify a place for their own country man.
you think locals have a chance to learn the ropes.
end of the day, they will just be dominated by PR and New Citizens

(09-08-2021, 10:07 AM)alanis Wrote:  PM?  Thinking

Selected Reserved Foreigner Prime Minister... one term run by Indian national, next term perhaps by Malaysian, Chinese, African, Taiwanese.... every country gets a chance..

(08-08-2021, 09:02 PM)forum456 Wrote:  https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/p...annot-turn

Singaporeans' anxieties over foreign work pass holders are being addressed, and the Government has to adjust its policies to manage the quality, numbers and concentrations of foreigners here, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

"If we do this well, we can continue to welcome foreign workers and new immigrants, as we must. Turning inwards is against our fundamental interests," he added in his televised National Day message on Sunday (Aug 8).

He said Singaporeans understand the need to welcome the talent and expertise that the economy requires to grow. These include work pass holders who contribute towards expanding the economy and creating more opportunities for Singapore.

"When we complement our own workforce with skills from around the world, more companies will invest here, and this then creates more jobs for Singaporeans," he explained. "This is a virtuous cycle."
PM Lee recognised the worries that Singaporeans have over competition for jobs, particularly when the number of foreign work pass holders is large.
The uncertainties brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic have also worsened these anxieties.

The same work pass holders who reinforce the team and contribute to the company may also compete directly with their local colleagues, PM Lee acknowledged in his address.

However, he cautioned against turning inwards, adding that such a shift would damage Singapore's standing as a global and regional hub, and cost its people jobs and opportunities.
"Most importantly, it goes against our values of openness, and of being accepting of others who are different from us," he added.
"We uphold these values, because they have anchored us, and helped us progress over the years as a nation."

"Sometimes, the locals feel unfairly treated, for instance, when they miss out on being hired or promoted," he added.
"Outside work, from time to time, there are also social frictions, because some work pass holders and their families have not fully adapted to our social norms, nor fully integrated into our society."
Said PM Lee: "I understand these anxieties and problems. The Government is addressing them."

(09-08-2021, 04:26 PM)SGSeniorCitizen1952 Wrote:  National Day Speech talk about open door crying

Open door next day  crying

How inappropriate and desperate  Huh

Leaves me despondent and no hope for the future.
crying crying crying

Is Lee HL our PM? Or CECA's PM?

Makes sense that JoTeo & Tan SL reports to Modi and not Lee HL for past few years.

(09-08-2021, 07:19 PM)wulala Wrote:  For those who had tried starting a business in other country other than SG, they should know the in and out of how "guan xi" works.
For SG there is no exception, a foreign top management can hire their country man to work here at a special arrangement. That is why the authority must really bucked up otherwise we will lose out in the future, cause we are rising them instead of our own people. SG cannot rely on new citizen too much, as they may one day leave for greener pasture just like what they did to their current homeland.

Over dependent on foreigner is never a good idea.
We need Foreign talents but not over dependent on them.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 1 user Likes RiseofAsia's post

He can open the gates for the ghosts

In that case he also need to let a few FT as MP

(10-08-2021, 01:39 PM)Cmpunk Wrote:  In that case he also need to let a few FT as MP

My stand, which quite a number of folks in the old forum did not agreed, is that all civil service jobs, from the most junior staff to EP, are all open up to foreigner competition.

Only then, we get the best talents to run the country and civil servants will understand the pain points themselves when their jobs are facing similar risks.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..
[+] 1 user Likes ArielCasper's post