Household wealth rose in Singapore, defying downtrend elsewhere

Chor Khieng Yuit
Senior Correspondent
UPDATED 8 HOURS AGO

SINGAPORE – Global household wealth went into decline in 2022 but Singapore managed to buck the trend.

A new report noted that household wealth here rose 7.2 per cent in 2022 to US$1.906 trillion, while the average household increased its financial standing by 6.3 per cent on a per adult basis.

Singapore’s rising wealth defies global trends, which indicate that total net household wealth dropped 2.4 per cent to US$454.4 trillion in 2022, while the wealth per adult declined 3.6 per cent.

much of the decline in global wealth – the first since the 2008 financial crisis – was due to inflation and the strength of the US dollar against other currencies.

The study, now in its 14th year, covers 5.4 billion adults around the world and across the wealth spectrum – from billionaires to the middle- and lower-income levels.

It found that median wealth per Singapore adult – this takes the middle number in the whole database – rose 6.2 per cent from 2021 to US$99,488.

Singapore’s Gini coefficient, a measure of economic inequality, was 78.8 per cent in 2022, lower than the world level of 88.3 per cent (Levin: I think this report used a different formula as the figures are ridiculously high for both. One thing is all formulae for gini coefficient I have come across have never considered cash/vouchers given to certain groups of citizens so the Gini coefficient figures tend to be wrong and become meaningless)

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/ho...lth-report
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post

I drop leh...
[+] 1 user Likes Sharexchange's post

They import too many rich ppl lah.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 1 user Likes RiseofAsia's post

zhun boh 

nb using card stacking propaganda

Talking cock. I’ve not been working since 2020 when I stepped out of the rat race. What household income wealth increase. How many household did he survey amongst the whole of Singapore.? Straits Times. Cannot be trusted.

tomorrow will be a better day
[+] 1 user Likes surfer's post

Household wealth. Could be due to asset price increase.

(17-08-2023, 09:10 AM)Clyde Wrote:  Household wealth. Could be due to asset price increase.

If you read the first sentence…… while the average household increased its financial standing by 6.3 per cent on a per adult basis. Not asset price increase.

(17-08-2023, 07:26 AM)Sharexchange Wrote:  I drop leh...

Because you lazy fugg, dun wanna work

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Tangsen's post

(17-08-2023, 10:43 AM)Tangsen Wrote:  Because you lazy fugg, dun wanna work

Last month i got work leh for 1 week...tray return executive.

(17-08-2023, 12:20 PM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Last month i got work leh for 1 week...tray return executive.

You need to work harder lah .... Pinky already said our reserve money not enough liow

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(17-08-2023, 09:52 AM)surfer Wrote:  If you read the first sentence…… while the average household increased its financial standing by 6.3 per cent on a per adult basis. Not asset price increase.
For me, my rental income increases by more than 30%

(17-08-2023, 12:54 PM)Clyde Wrote:  For me, my rental income increases by more than 30%

You are too kind to your tenant. Didn't up your rental by 50% or more.
[+] 1 user Likes starbugs's post

Meaningless stats cos the wealth is not evenly spread whilst the state is per capita. Unless the rich willingly share out to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Sticw's post

Rich ahnehs and ah tiongs new sinkies lah

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(17-08-2023, 08:08 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  They import too many rich ppl lah.

100% Correct

MOM Reported a surge in FTs 

but they removed the report because this will make them loose votes

Page not found (mom.gov.sg)

So here is my picture I took:

[Image: MOM-Work-pass-Dec-2022.png]

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

(17-08-2023, 09:52 AM)surfer Wrote:  If you read the first sentence…… while the average household increased its financial standing by 6.3 per cent on a per adult basis. Not asset price increase.

...and if one reads the last paragraph which points blaming finger at US monetary policy that exported its inflation to others.

Mr Anthony Shorrocks, economist and author of the report, said that much of the decline in global wealth – the first since the 2008 financial crisis – was due to inflation and the strength of the US dollar against other currencies.

You've got friendly neighbours? Grow Up! 李光耀 2013

(17-08-2023, 01:45 PM)Ola Wrote:  100% Correct
MOM Reported a surge in FTs 
but they removed the report because this will make them loose votes

If any data is "100% Correct", then we should also accept Credit Suissie data which suggest Russians households are top "Winners" who got wealthier thanks for being kicked out of of US$ system over Ukraine War ?
You just need to compare those households in pro-America countries

Does that not nicely explain why so many countries now wanna De-Dollar their investments and assets... Big Grin

[Image: 66ce1e833ef6b6d9030b85888c20ae69]

You've got friendly neighbours? Grow Up! 李光耀 2013
[+] 1 user Likes Manthink's post

Never trust these surveys nor statistics. Not based on 100% of population. Maybe not even one percent.

[+] 1 user Likes surfer's post

(18-08-2023, 07:46 AM)surfer Wrote:  Never trust these surveys nor statistics. Not based on 100% of population. Maybe not even one percent.

May not be 100%. But definitely more than 1%.

The study, now in its 14th year, covers 5.4 billion adults around the world and across the wealth spectrum – from billionaires to the middle- and lower-income levels.