Purchased AliBABA@HK156.1 ...

There is no more news but trading is very choppy.
There are those still trying to get out and some trying to enter.

My plan is to split up the purchase....to 3 batch this is the first one.

The splitting will reduce the timing risk.
[Image: MmIcNtw.jpg]

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

first 2 hours are the most volatile…best bargains and most overpriced

Intraday chart...quickly moves...now heading towards 158

[Image: 409MfqO.jpg]

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Split.

Meituan tencent and Baba

Smile

(30-08-2021, 09:42 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  There is no more news but trading is very choppy.

I planned to split my purchase into 40% 30% 30% and took my first 40% based your initial purchase of the OCBC index fund. Now looking to fire the second batch of 30%
[+] 1 user Likes investor2021's post
Video 

[Image: F4B40wY.jpg]Now up ....more upside coming.

(31-08-2021, 07:04 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  [Image: F4B40wY.jpg]Now up ....more upside coming.

I fired my second batch yesterday too 👍🏻👍🏻😁😁
[+] 1 user Likes investor2021's post

(31-08-2021, 07:04 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  [Image: F4B40wY.jpg]Now up ....more upside coming.

U added too slow, now up how to add other batch.

Meituan is the super cheongster, u shd have go for that. Up more than 30% from low compare to baba less than 10%

(01-09-2021, 01:17 AM)Zannn Wrote:  Meituan is the super cheongster, u shd have go for that. Up more than 30% from low compare to baba less than 10%

10% or 30% in 2 days is good...

I never considered Meituan ...because it is in a non essential space and the founder was "asking for it". ....sure traders can make more as the stock swings more but throw in the  consideration I plan to keep the stock I bought for some time ...all that rules out Meituan

Now 171....for a modest 10% gain in 6 trading days.

[Image: R4JKBog.jpg]

(30-08-2021, 09:42 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  There is no more news but trading is very choppy.

have you bought Pinduoduo shares in Nasdaq? it is Alibaba’s competitor backed by tencent...its shares perform better than Alibaba.

(08-09-2021, 04:08 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  have you bought Pinduoduo shares in Nasdaq? it is Alibaba’s competitor backed by tencent...its shares perform better than Alibaba.

In the short term some stocks will move up more than Alibaba because of the speculative volatility.

I stated why I bought Alibaba because the digitalisation of business is a trend for coming decade and Alibaba is offering what amazon offers to US companies but will never be able to establish itself in China.

I try my best to buy Alibaba at a good price to hold for long time. Other stocks may out perform in short term....I have not studied them and cannot be sure they will perform in the long run. Of course out of the universal of many stocks there will definitely be many that will outperform Alibaba in the long run....but they may not be so easy to understand or so predictable in terms of market demand for its service

(08-09-2021, 04:37 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  In the short term some stocks will move up more than Alibaba because of the speculative volatility.

I stated why I bought Alibaba because the digitalisation of business is a trend for coming decade and Alibaba is offering what amazon offers to US companies but will never be able to establish itself in China.

I try my best to buy Alibaba at a good price to hold for long time. Other stocks may out perform in short term....I have not studied them and cannot be sure they will perform in the long run. Of course out of the universal of many stocks there will definitely be many that will outperform Alibaba in the long run....but they may not be so easy to understand or so predictable in terms of market demand for its service

why didn’t you buy Alibaba in Nadaq?

(08-09-2021, 04:40 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  why didn’t you buy Alibaba in Nadaq?

Because of the backdoor risk. All China companies listed in on Nasdaq circumvent China law by using a backdoor for the listing through an intermediate company registered in Cayman Islands.

If trade war and disagreement between US and China heats up something can happen.

The risk of this happening is very low but can happen.... Just remind yourself of CLOB when legal status of what you buy is is hazy...the stocks become limbo....

Play safe if company has US listing and HK listing just buy the HK one.....pay more commission is okay.

[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(01-09-2021, 08:31 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  10% or 30% in 2 days is good...

I never considered Meituan ...because it is in a non essential space and the founder was "asking for it". ....sure traders can make more as the stock swings more but throw in the  consideration I plan to keep the stock I bought for some time ...all that rules out Meituan

Meituan in non essential space? Did not seem non-essential to China colleagues.......

Bought my 2nd batch today as more fear spread on regulation and govt clampdown. Without this fear causing seloff I would have to buy at higher price.

Purchased at 165.5
[Image: jwaUvjV.jpg]

(09-09-2021, 10:40 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Bought my 2nd batch today as more fear spread on regulation and govt clampdown. Without this fear causing seloff I would have to buy at higher price.

Purchased at 165.5
[Image: jwaUvjV.jpg]

What’s the difference buying now and the first purchase? The price isn’t going up much.

(09-09-2021, 01:15 PM)debster Wrote:  What’s the difference buying now and the first purchase? The price isn’t going up much.

It's just hedge against the uncertain regulatory environment.
One does not know tomorrow China govt comes up with what. If you buy everything all at one go next day some heavy handed regulation comes jn stock plunge....

It is not necessary and in long run does not matter that much but in a very uncertain volatile period splitting a purchase reduces volatility in your portforlio ....in case of bad news you still have some bullet for entry.

If you are sure worst is over just take a big bite.

Alibaba will move up ...I am quite confident ....

I dunno , I still think Jacky Ma got away too ligtly

like a slight slap to the hand compare what he did to the shareholders and the CCP ..

One risk that may hit BABA I suspect that has not priced in is the grey area of "protection of small business owner", there is a possibility that they will also regulate the % cut these platform can take from sellers. this will further erode the earnings of BABA

[Image: Jack_Ma_20201228010546.GIF]

[Image: missing-in-action.jpg]

My last and final.purchase.

This the transaction:

[Image: pA4ZeXv.jpg]

Recap purchase are at 156.1, 165.5 and 157.7

Like I say the regulators move on its ecommerce business I just a distraction from the longer term growth in cloud services....even if monopoly is dismantled its market will just be apportioned between itself and JD...rest is broken by region. The infrastructure will be too expensive to replicate due to critical mass....

Many investors will sell and flee out of fear due to regulators action causing uncertainty.

But I am buying and holding firm.

(09-09-2021, 01:39 PM)keys Wrote:  I dunno , I still think Jacky Ma got away too ligtly

like a slight slap to the hand compare what he did to the shareholders and the CCP ..

One risk that may hit BABA I suspect that has not priced in  is the grey area of "protection of small business owner", there is a possibility that they will also regulate the % cut these platform can take from sellers. this will further erode the earnings of BABA

The govt can only introduce competition not micromanage pricing. 

If it manage pricing then it can only allow one player as others will never enter such a market...that will cause inefficiency and make things even worse.

Xi unless he has no brains will never go and undermine these companies as they have to make profits to drive research aggressively. Alibaba funded important projects in chip making, AI and cloud computing...these are only possible because they make alot of money.

If you have many smaller players with tiny profits you can never funds top notch research projects and you kill the goose that lay the golden egg that help China to catch the west in key areas.

All the actions of regulators cannot lead to an outcome that harm China's own interest....if they want Jack Ma to share wealth and donate to poor .it won't be an issue for Jack Ma to do so.

The market will always have fearful investors who will run whenever negative news comes out.

Don't be fearful think clearly and rationally....be confident of your thinking....then act on it.

A few months ago I thought I will never get ever get a chance to buy Alibaba this type.of.low price. Thanks to China govt actions ...an opportunity was created and I took it

Anyone can I buy Alibaba US share at uob Kay hian and sel at tiger broker?

(13-09-2021, 02:19 PM)Cmpunk Wrote:  Anyone can I buy Alibaba US share at uob Kay hian and sel at tiger broker?

never tried before. if u buy at uob kayhian, then uobkayhian is the custodian of your share. can sell at other broker meh?
[+] 1 user Likes winbig's post

how much have yiu invested in these shares? 200k? Huh

(13-09-2021, 02:47 PM)winbig Wrote:  never tried before. if u buy at uob kayhian, then uobkayhian is the custodian of your share. can sell at other broker meh?

To sell at another broker you need to arrange a transfer and pay a transfer fee....it is actually better to just sell at same broker.

(13-09-2021, 03:06 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  how much have yiu invested in these shares? 200k? Huh

I said I won't discuss how much of the stock I buy just when and at what price.

The reason is how much i buy be it alot or very little will distract discussion of when is best time to buy and at what price. Once I put down how much I buy people will engage in unproductive useless talk about how much money I have what is my net worth if too small they will insult me if amount is too big they will say they don't believe and keep asking for proof.

How much to buy whether $5000 or $500k depends on each individual's net worth , cash at hand and is different for everyone.