RIP: Driver dies in blaze after rental car catches fire following carpark crash

https://youtu.be/kjrYawduFp0

SINGAPORE - A driver died while trapped in a rented car that caught fire after a collision in a carpark on Friday (Jan 7). The collision occurred in the open carpark at Block 42 Cassia Crescent, next to the Geylang Police Post.

A resident of the block, who gave her name only as Madam Ter, 47, said she was at home when she first noticed white smoke filling the air at around 3pm.

She and her husband went downstairs, where they saw a white Mazda 3 had crashed into a parked car. The car's bonnet was crushed and its cabin was filled with smoke, she said. It was not ablaze at that point.

Madam Ter, an administrator, said: "Initially, we weren't sure if there was someone still in the car, so we kept knocking on the window.

"Only when we heard movement in the car did we realise that there was still someone in there."

Alarmed, she asked her husband to call the police while she raced upstairs to get neighbours to help.

Mr Wilkinson Tan, 47, a sales manager and a resident of the block, said: "My neighbours were calling for help and asked me to get a pail full of water to extinguish the flames.

"But by the time we could organise a response, we heard a loud explosion and the car burst into flames."

Mr Tan said a police officer had attempted to pull the driver out of the car but to no avail.

The fire lasted for 15 to 20 minutes, before firefighters arrived. The fire was put out at about 3.40pm.

The driver was pronounced dead at the scene by a Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) paramedic.

More at https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/d...in-carpark

(08-01-2022, 12:02 AM)pinkypanther Wrote:  https://youtu.be/kjrYawduFp0

SINGAPORE - A driver died while trapped in a rented car that caught fire after a collision in a carpark on Friday (Jan 7). The collision occurred in the open carpark at Block 42 Cassia Crescent, next to the Geylang Police Post.

A resident of the block, who gave her name only as Madam Ter, 47, said she was at home when she first noticed white smoke filling the air at around 3pm.

She and her husband went downstairs, where they saw a white Mazda 3 had crashed into a parked car. The car's bonnet was crushed and its cabin was filled with smoke, she said. It was not ablaze at that point.

Madam Ter, an administrator, said: "Initially, we weren't sure if there was someone still in the car, so we kept knocking on the window.

"Only when we heard movement in the car did we realise that there was still someone in there."

Alarmed, she asked her husband to call the police while she raced upstairs to get neighbours to help.

Mr Wilkinson Tan, 47, a sales manager and a resident of the block, said: "My neighbours were calling for help and asked me to get a pail full of water to extinguish the flames.

"But by the time we could organise a response, we heard a loud explosion and the car burst into flames."

Mr Tan said a police officer had attempted to pull the driver out of the car but to no avail.

The fire lasted for 15 to 20 minutes, before firefighters arrived. The fire was put out at about 3.40pm.

The driver was pronounced dead at the scene by a Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) paramedic.

More at https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/d...in-carpark

Dun tell me no one at the block has fire extinguishers???
[+] 1 user Likes Sentinel's post

Spraying water over oil is useless, in fact will cause fire to spread

Should use dry powder

And i see only the riot police spraying water from hose on the car

Scared like chickens

So serious,,,

When one's number is drawn....no escape one, no kena Covid can go by other avenues.

HA case.

how old is he

seat belt and locked door become a trap
[+] 1 user Likes Talent's post

Must be a real bad Accident... until smoke comes out.

(08-01-2022, 02:31 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  Dun tell me no one at the block has fire extinguishers???

It is not our custom to have a fire extinguisher at our homes.....

(08-01-2022, 11:04 AM)Talent Wrote:  how old is he

Mid-30s according to the report.

3 must have in a car: scissors, glass hammer and fire extinguisher

If fire is on car petrol, it is not a fire that can be carried away liquid. It is on the petrol tank. That is why it had an explosion later on. The petrol tank exploded. 

If water is sprayed on the tank, it is not wrong. It can cool down the tank to prevent it from catching fire and exploded. But there was no substantial amount of water spraying at the tank at that time until police and fire engine arrived.  It was already exploded.  

Why SG got such dumbfark people? A person in danger still go run upstairs for help instead of helping the man out?

Farking hopeless sinkees!
[+] 2 users Like Notdumb's post

I wonder if maintenance is ever done on these rental cars?

tomorrow will be a better day

(08-01-2022, 11:40 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  3 must have in a car: scissors, glass hammer and fire extinguisher

Just a small hammer from Daiso will be good enough imo.

But from the position of the car, I suspect the driver had already passed out, eg from a heart-attack or stroke, while his foot was still on the accelerator.
And unfortunately for him, the car caught fire from the impact.

https://shop.daisosingapore.com.sg/colle...d-tip-type

(08-01-2022, 11:51 AM)Notdumb Wrote:  Why SG got such dumbfark people? A person in danger still go run upstairs for help instead of helping the man out?

If not for the Time keeper from the other side he won't ran up stair. impo.

(08-01-2022, 12:30 PM)sgxin Wrote:  Just a small hammer from Daiso will be good enough imo.

But from the position of the car, I suspect the driver had already passed out, eg from a heart-attack or stroke, while his foot was still on the accelerator.
And unfortunately for him, the car caught fire from the impact.

https://shop.daisosingapore.com.sg/colle...d-tip-type

[Image: Screenshot-20220108-123619-Shopee-SG.jpg]

those with a sharp metal tip are better
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink?'s post

(08-01-2022, 11:51 AM)Notdumb Wrote:  Why SG got such dumbfark people? A person in danger still go run upstairs for help instead of helping the man out?

Perhaps the guy is running home to get a hammer. Thinking

(08-01-2022, 12:37 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  those with a sharp metal tip are better

It will be good if LTA can mandate that all carparks have such hammers attached to a prominent lamp post like AEDs for heart attack.

How can at car park the car speed should had reduced to 20 KMH to look for parking slot ,even knocked the lamp post won't really caused such a damage .....

(08-01-2022, 12:47 PM)sgxin Wrote:  Perhaps the guy is running home to get a hammer. Thinking

It will be good if LTA can mandate that all carparks have such hammers attached to a prominent lamp post like AEDs for heart attack.

If LTA  were to attach a hammer in all carparks, chances are it will be stolen......that is the custom we are experiencing...... crying

Why at car park knocked a lamp post can caused such a huge damaged ?

most likely driver unconscious after the impact.  Frown