Marcos-Duterte alliance shaken as battle lines drawn

“I feel very bad [because] the ICC (International Criminal Court) never landed in this country before but after the change of administration, they’re suddenly here and they want to imprison my father,” Baste said in a gathering before the Sunday night rally, referring to the ICC’s investigation in the drug war case against his father.

The mayor reminded the President of his father’s accommodation of the Marcos family’s request to have the remains of the late strongman Ferdinand Marcos Sr. exhumed to the Heroes’ Cemetery.

“Think of the Romanovs, Mussolini and his wife, think of what happened to you [and your family] in 1986, maybe, you will reconsider the decision you are taking,” Baste said of the Charter change (Cha-cha) drive being pushed by Mr. Marcos’ congressional allies.

She added: “The problem is that they (Mr. Marcos and the Dutertes) have never really been together. Their unity was really just for the purpose of winning the elections and not over platforms.”

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1896121/ma...e=(direct)&utm_medium=gallery

(30-01-2024, 08:23 AM)theold Wrote:  “I feel very bad [because] the ICC (International Criminal Court) never landed in this country before but after the change of administration, they’re suddenly here and they want to imprison my father,” Baste said in a gathering before the Sunday night rally, referring to the ICC’s investigation in the drug war case against his father.

The mayor reminded the President of his father’s accommodation of the Marcos family’s request to have the remains of the late strongman Ferdinand Marcos Sr. exhumed to the Heroes’ Cemetery.

“Think of the Romanovs, Mussolini and his wife, think of what happened to you [and your family] in 1986, maybe, you will reconsider the decision you are taking,” Baste said of the Charter change (Cha-cha) drive being pushed by Mr. Marcos’ congressional allies.

She added: “The problem is that they (Mr. Marcos and the Dutertes) have never really been together. Their unity was really just for the purpose of winning the elections and not over platforms.”

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1896121/ma...e=(direct)&utm_medium=gallery

Marcos's inability to manage the competing factions within Philippines has emboldened all of them to openly push for their own agenda. I'm not even sure at this stage how much control he has over the country.

On one hand, there is the military which is obviously very pro-US and which I suspect most of the time is acting on its own especially with regards to the Thomas Scholl issue.

Then there are the traditional metropolitan liberal elites like the Senate, academics and NGOs who view Marcos in distrust due to his family legacy. These people randomly call for blood as long as there are any minor missteps by Marcos.

On the other hand there are the big corporate honchos who are pressurizing Marcos to manage the situation with China and push for cooperation. They are allied with the upcoming Duterte clan who is seeking to displace the Marcos one.

Marcos Junior is quite a disappointment. I expected better of him since he is born into a political family with deep roots in Manila, but so far he is behaving like a novice trying to please everyone but ending up pissing off everyone at the same time. The guy's political skill is a far cry from his predecessor.