S'porean man, 43, lost S$500,000 of life savings in OCBC phishing scam.

if he is civil servant is OK, per year two bonus and yearly increment not only these, come so call " WIS " is like come out ideas how to improve the workplace, if get selected also got some money to take

literally he/she can easily earn back as long rot inside.

Wait isn't OCBC Claim " out of good gesture " they going to pay all been scam is it Or case by case?

his $500k gone since OCBC does not want to compensate him ?
[Image: Capture.png]

(19-01-2022, 09:15 AM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  if he is civil servant is OK, per year two bonus and yearly increment not only these, come so call " WIS " is like come out ideas how to improve the workplace, if get selected also got some money to take

literally he/she can easily earn back as long rot inside.

Wait isn't OCBC Claim " out of good gesture " they going to pay all been scam is it Or case by case?

Still got the wife bank account to scam.

(19-01-2022, 09:16 AM)forum456 Wrote:  his $500k gone since OCBC does not want to compensate him ?

Like that is " case by case " He must be so call " income stable as I claim maybe he/she is civil servant OR he is self employ so call boss or his job wage per mth is high ' Thus OCBC never pay, Unless he is normal average worker earn just 1k++ or 2k++ OCBC will pay.

(19-01-2022, 09:16 AM)forum456 Wrote:  his $500k gone since OCBC does not want to compensate him ?

If OCBC refuse to compensate...it is gone as there is no legal recourse for such cases.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

This is like inflation has robbed him of 2-3% of his savings every year, then the scammers finished him for good.

He wants to be risk averse, but in the end the safest saving instrument is not really the safest.

Some wealthy sinkies also need to attend financial literacy lessons.

(19-01-2022, 09:30 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  If OCBC refuse to compensate...it is gone as there is no legal recourse for such cases.
You go and give him legal advise lah. You seems to know all about scamming very professionally ............ Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(19-01-2022, 09:12 AM)RichDad Wrote:  Yah why can't catch I don't understand. Interpol can help to trace where the funds go to.

Unless they use mules and cashed out quickly.  Go into cryptos or something. Arrest mules?

We have a big Interpol office here at Tanglin.

That is the reason why scammers use Bitcoins, e-wallet accounts, etc.

(19-01-2022, 09:12 AM)RichDad Wrote:  Yah why can't catch I don't understand. Interpol can help to trace where the funds go to.

Unless they use mules and cashed out quickly.  Go into cryptos or something. Arrest mules?

Even simple Nigerian scam they are able to take and launder money away to overseas account.

By the time SPH contact overseas police and the other side go and investigate they already take out the money and disappear.

As for credit card it takes time for vendor to get paid during that period, if fraud is reported payment is canceled

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(19-01-2022, 09:06 AM)Clyde Wrote:  Don't say that. I have written to them asking them if scammer can transfer fixed deposit money to saving account.  They have not replied me.

UOB replied me just now that scammer cannot move my fixed deposit fund to anywhere.  I need to be present in the bank to issue instruction.  Heng ah.
[+] 2 users Like Clyde's post

(19-01-2022, 09:15 AM)RichDad Wrote:  This explains well...

[Image: ngiam.jpg]

Good read. better than reading the whole library of books.

Its commonsense the $$$ hv to go into someone's Bank Acc and the Bank definitely knows who!
U can't be transferring the $$$ to a ghost right....now also not 7 month.

(19-01-2022, 07:54 AM)Sticw Wrote:  They waiting to use CDC voucher for Cat-100..

Rotfl

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(19-01-2022, 09:06 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I think you are not familiar with money laundering methods.

The criminal syndicates control many local accounts that cannot be traced to them this is done by buying accounts of foreign workers returning to home country for good and through layers of criminals who cannot be traced.

Using these accounts they set up remittance links to pay people in China or Phillipines ...these are also purchased accounts that cannot b traced to them.

Once money comes in their people withdraw from ATM or bank branch immediately.

KNS u so smart.

On my CC statement got put receiver company hor. The Bank know the company. Credit cards is unlike normal banks. If a company got no link to CC company can suka suka make claims ah?

(19-01-2022, 09:55 AM)Blin Wrote:  Good read. better than reading the whole library of books.

Yes., it is  a good read, Mr Ngiam did not mince his words when confronted with such a problem....

(19-01-2022, 07:00 AM)5354 Wrote:  Lehman minibonds case like Hyflux or SembMarine

You buy you die your own fault

OCBC phishing scam is different, caused by OCBC's lack of security to protect customers's deposits

Everyone here keep saying OCBC lack security. But what did OCBC didn't do, which DBS and UOB did, that earn OCBC this label?

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..
[+] 1 user Likes ArielCasper's post

(19-01-2022, 10:13 AM)ArielCasper Wrote:  Everyone here keep saying OCBC lack security. But what did OCBC didn't do, which DBS and UOB did, that earn OCBC this label?

They won’t tell you what they didn’t do.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(19-01-2022, 10:05 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  Rotfl

Must continue where we left off yesterday. Lol

(19-01-2022, 10:13 AM)ArielCasper Wrote:  Everyone here keep saying OCBC lack security. But what did OCBC didn't do, which DBS and UOB did, that earn OCBC this label?

They should set a limit to $$$ transfer....like CC spending limit.

Maybe those criminals are partner with CIA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80...tra_affair

(19-01-2022, 10:17 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  They won’t tell you what they didn’t do.

That is for the MAS investigation to review, if it is ever made public.

If the same problem is there for all 3 banks, but we only keep focusing on OCBC, then we are setting the stage for more sad stories

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

(19-01-2022, 09:38 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Even simple Nigerian scam they are able to take and launder money away to overseas account.

By the time SPH contact overseas police and the other side go and investigate they already take out the money and disappear.

As for credit card it takes time for vendor to get paid during that period, if fraud is reported payment is canceled

Not exactly, if you stole money from Biden's bank account then lets see what will happened next?

why China such a big country don't have such problem, yet a tiny nation like SG always being targeted? Thinking

(19-01-2022, 10:21 AM)Sticw Wrote:  Must continue where we left off yesterday. Lol

You have an excellent memory Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(19-01-2022, 10:42 AM)wulala Wrote:  why China such a big country don't have such problem, yet a tiny nation like SG always being targeted? Thinking

Pandas can squish you pain pain

[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(19-01-2022, 10:52 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  You have an excellent memory Big Grin
Since the age of 5.

I guess God sent me to view and remember all things, He can then use as evidence for Judgement day. Lol

Maybe $500k is spare cash for him

Laughing

This is not possible as bank accounts have daily withdrawal limit of 5k of 10k maximum, it is no way they could steal 500k at one go.

(19-01-2022, 12:20 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  This is not possible as bank accounts have daily withdrawal limit of 5k of 10k maximum, it is no way they could steal 500k at one go.

on surface u are right same thinking as me initially

but once scammers logged into yr acct he can do what he wants change the withdrawal amt

(19-01-2022, 08:12 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Next time just write to stomp/MAS. Rotfl

MAS and SGX are useless, toothless and always behind the curve Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like p1acebo's post