If aircon FCU spoil, don't replace entire system

Need to weld and top up the gas.
Unless trained personnel, do not think it is possible.

Be careful when changing fan coil unit. The refrigerant line must be stopped before switching. If leak refrigerant is dangerous and will cause future failure

Replacing the FCU because the remote control not working is an overkilled attempt.   One can save money further by just replacing the control boards in FCU or the outdoor unit.   

FCU seldom give problem except for the regular cleaning of the coil and the fan blades.  No further attention is usually required other than oiling or replacing the bearings of the fan motor if it makes noise.  

If one is not familiar with troubleshooting an air conditioner,  it is best to consult someone experienced rather than exploring the problem in the dark.  Sometimes,  it is wise to make a replacement anew rather than replacing the components with second-hand stuff.

(30-09-2021, 06:20 AM)revealer Wrote:  Replacing the FCU because the remote control not working is an overkilled attempt.   One can save money further by just replacing the control boards in FCU or the outdoor unit.   

FCU seldom give problem except for the regular cleaning of the coil and the fan blades.  No further attention is usually required other than oiling or replacing the bearings of the fan motor if it makes noise.  

If one is not familiar with troubleshooting an air conditioner,  it is best to consult someone experienced rather than exploring the problem in the dark.  Sometimes,  it is wise to make a replacement anew rather than replacing the components with second-hand stuff.

The problem is some ppl are lazy to service their FCU unit.
When problem comes, they just called aircon technician to let them chop carrot. Sometimes, aircon is not cold is because the thermostat is covered with  a layer of thick dust?

Do regular cleaning of fan coil blade and compressor unit coil blade will make your aircon work in best condition.

I have used air con for more than 25 years, never encounter FCU spoilt before.

Aircon efficiency is bullshxt, High efficiency aircon is normally not so cold after some time of using the air con.

Now aircon split unit is not as good as past generation... Use cheapo material and easy to damage if you dont know how to open it.
Do watch out closely, if you employ aircon tech to service your aircon, he may have damaged the plastic components inside the aircon during servicing.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(30-09-2021, 06:50 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  The problem is some ppl are lazy to service their FCU unit.
When problem comes, they just called aircon technician to let them chop carrot. Sometimes, aircon is not cold is because the thermostat is covered with  a layer of thick dust?

Do regular cleaning of fan coil blade and compressor unit coil blade will make your aircon work in best condition.

I have used air con for more than 25 years, never encounter FCU spoilt before.

Aircon efficiency is bullshxt, High efficiency aircon is normally not so cold after some time of using the air con.

Now aircon split unit is not as good as past generation... Use cheapo material and easy to damage if you dont know how to open it.
Do watch out closely, if you employ aircon tech to service your aircon, he may have damaged the plastic components inside the aircon during servicing.
Wow 25yrs...what brand is that can last so long

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(30-09-2021, 07:09 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Wow 25yrs...what brand is that can last so long

Mitsubishi.
Their aircon is used in freezer truck.
You know how good they are.

Not 25 years on 1 aircon,
I got moved house b4 in 25 years.
Aircon needs to service regularly, if you want the aircon to work in best condition at all times.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(29-09-2021, 06:16 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Forummer air con was 5yrs old and FCU spoil...aircon man ask him to replace entire system.

If aircon is above 20yrs old can consider change entire system...as more parts at break down.

But 10yr mark can still consider repair ...if not heavily used  to 20yr mark you can still do a repair as it has some distance to go....it all depends on usage....just like mileage on car.

The cost savings from non inverter to inverter is 20-30% again depending on how often you use may not be worth changing whole system to get power savings. Low usage you may need many yrs to get savings back.

Idea of repair is also to lower waste and save environment

agreed, but you asked him to buy those "well used" FCU to replace, these might be more than 10 years old.