Singapore’s middle classes turn to food banks as inflation bites

(10-12-2021, 04:31 PM)Galilo_l Wrote:  But a record of hdb sold into millions leh

Still possible that a section of people will need to get food from food bank. Maybe not the majority but there will be a number of such people.

I mean, even in UK (https://sgtalk.net/Thread-Why-more-Brits...food-banks) and US (https://sgtalk.net/Thread-US-food-banks-...ing-prices), more and more people are flocking to food banks. So it is not unlikely that Singapore will have a similar situation.
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post

(10-12-2021, 04:01 PM)talky Wrote:  hi baby girl pls adv how u can copy n paste.this is exactly the article i saw tried to copy n paste but cant.

Dey…. Click on the <> and edit away the extras.  This Sgtalk donch like cut and paste at times Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(10-12-2021, 04:49 PM)Levin Wrote:  Depends on the definition of the middle class. And then sometimes, they divide the middle class into different subclasses. The article did not state the income of the 'middle class' so don't know how widespread it is.
It says 10%.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(10-12-2021, 04:35 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  You mean got people crowd at lobster and burger mean everyone has plenty of food what kind of logic is that?

It's like saying big crowd at condo launch means there are no poor people in Singapore?

Or thousands turn up at Standatd Chartered marathon means there are no sick unfit people in Singapore?
.....how does the logic work here?

in every society there bound to have poor people. but this foreign media stating SG "middle class" turning to food bank is very questionable. I am in middle class too.

e.g.  you are not poor either but you choose to eat instant noodles. that is your choice not your affordability, that is the different
And I can't imagine SG middle class needs to turn to food bank, Singapore will be a deep trouble if that is the case and I think many of our neighboring countries middle class may turn to robbers liao.
It's either the 'kaisu and kaisi' mentality of SGrean or this foreign media trying to stir.

(10-12-2021, 04:49 PM)Levin Wrote:  Depends on the definition of the middle class. And then sometimes, they divide the middle class into different subclasses. The article did not state the income of the 'middle class' so don't know how widespread it is.

agree. this lower middle class may face some challenges which the gov should step in to help. the foreign report is quite misleading.

(10-12-2021, 05:14 PM)wulala Wrote:  agree. this lower middle class may face some challenges which the gov should step in to help. the foreign report is quite misleading.

I rather trust foreign report than our " mainstream media " Now media go opposite,
IF report so call " local news " the mainstream media in every country will not truthful mention BUT come report other countries they report the truth. Get what I mean here.
[+] 1 user Likes [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

(10-12-2021, 05:09 PM)wulala Wrote:  in every society there bound to have poor people. but this foreign media stating SG "middle class" turning to food bank is very questionable. I am in middle class too.

e.g.  you are not poor either but you choose to eat instant noodles. that is your choice not your affordability, that is the different
And I can't imagine SG middle class needs to turn to food bank, Singapore will be a deep trouble if that is the case and I think many of our neighboring countries middle class may turn to robbers liao.
It's either the 'kaisu and kaisi' mentality of SGrean or this foreign media trying to stir.

You are right to point out that middle class don't turn to food bank.  Having said that there must be a criteria to distinguish what is middle class here..... Clapping Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

[Image: Screenshot-20211210-183301.jpg]
°

(10-12-2021, 06:35 PM)cityhantam Wrote:  [Image: Screenshot-20211210-183301.jpg]
°
Where did you get this chart. and how do you derive that our median household income is $7,744....? Big Grin

i only know , heard , next year 2022 will be even more tough.
more people jobless.
new jobs alot, but suppress salary.
true?

(10-12-2021, 07:09 PM)Hfourhappy Wrote:  i only know , heard , next year 2022 will be even more tough.
more people jobless.
new jobs alot, but suppress salary.
true?

Many people here do say so, it is going to be tougher year come 2022.... crying

(10-12-2021, 04:35 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  You mean got people crowd at lobster and burger mean everyone has plenty of food what kind of logic is that?

It's like saying big crowd at condo launch means there are no poor people in Singapore?

Or thousands turn up at Standatd Chartered marathon means there are no sick unfit people in Singapore?
.....how does the logic work here?

He has a point lar.  You don't seem very smart to me.  So simple thing you also cannot grasp.

If our government had not paid out the crazy amount of money, most people would have been in deep shit.

Foodbank foods are better in quality than most hawkers and foodcourts foods.

(10-12-2021, 04:35 PM)Huliwang Wrote:  So how to join Food Bank for free food? ............ Thinking

Yah, did not know there is one too

(10-12-2021, 07:06 PM)debono Wrote:  Where did you get this chart. and how do you derive that our median household income is $7,744....? Big Grin

You don't know how to search for info meh?  Thinking

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/me...s-singstat