Singapore unlikely to have a two-party political system like those in

Singapore unlikely to have a two-party political system like those in the US and the UK: Ong Ye Kung 

https://youtu.be/pBKoaHa7zIE

[Image: IMG-20220114-063056-795.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220114-063131-469.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220113-175758-477.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Bigiron's post

It depend on the people. If they think current govt did a good job and wish for them to continue, let it be.

The current election system is not entirely fair, in the name of minorities rights. So people should work on that

Sinkie land is never a land that focus on minorities rights, it is a land based on meritocracy.

If all wards are SMC, all MP will be put to test, be it pap or opposition. This will prevent folks that tailgate behind better MPs to be MP. Some of these MP eventually became a minister and mess things up when put to test

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

Better not, two party system sucks…look at the USA, they elected Trump, no good, they elected Biden also no good, like that how ah?
[+] 1 user Likes lvlrsSTI's post

(14-01-2022, 12:19 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  Evette r not, two party system sucks…look at the USA, they elected Trump, no good, they elected Biden also no good, like that how ah?

From the surface it looks like the president was democratically elected, underneath it is the big companies decide who to choose.

(14-01-2022, 12:16 PM)ArielCasper Wrote:  It depend on the people. If they think current govt did a good job and wish for them to continue, let it be.

The current election system is not entirely fair, in the name of minorities rights. So people should work on that

Sinkie land is never a land that focus on minorities rights, it is a land based on meritocracy.

If all wards are SMC, all MP will be put to test, be it pap or opposition. This will prevent folks that tailgate behind better MPs to be MP. Some of these MP eventually became a minister and mess things up when put to test

I tend to agree with the notion that in some GRC,  a candidate may come in thru' the tailcoats of others, and not be elected as a candidate on his own merit.  In SMC the field is much more transparent and on a level playing field.  The candidate from a SMC are ones who get elected based on his/her own merit, is our garment ready to enforce this criteria........

Another problem with two party system is that that, as a president’s term is only 4-8 years, he has no long turn plan like what China has done such as 30 year long turn plan reviewed every 5 years, his policy even if it very good will only last for serval years, the next president will scrap it all and replace with new policies.

As the US president was supported by big firms, he will make sure the interests of big companies are taken care of first before worrying about the well being of ordinary Americans.

The US two party system fails badly, so does the democracy it promotes.

When crisis like COVID pandemic happens, the US garment is incapable to control the situation and contain the number of infections and death tolls.

In these countries parties spend more time preparing for elections than taking care of people & keeping their election promises.

Even if you think the ruling party is doing a good job, you must not give them a blank cheque as Jamus said. Otherwise, we will see similar to what happened before the 2009 GE, when a single dominant party became hell bent on unimpeded immigration.

(14-01-2022, 12:35 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  Another problem with two party system is that that, as a president’s term is only 4-8 years, he has no long turn plan like what China has done such as 30 year long turn plan reviewed every 5 years, his policy even if it very good will only last for serval years, the next president will scrap it all and replace with new policies.
Yes and no. If you look at KPop, it was an industry first mooted by President Kim Young San. Later, when Kim da Jung took over, he continued to take in nation resource to make it a success.

Of coz, we have also seem enough example of policies from party A are totally overruled when a new party take over. If it is a lousy policy, fine, but if it is a good policy, then people has to ask did they voted in the right person.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps

we are phucked
because our govt is the one deciding Which Party or How many party Rules!

you are fcuk
i m fcuk

If it is no good, how come Chao Ang Moh have been using this system for so long… Rotfl
You think Chao Ang Mohs are nuts.

There is no perfect system.
There is only good or bad system.
Both single party or two party have its pros and cons, you can’t blindly say their system is no good due to your own experience.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 2 users Like RiseofAsia's post

(14-01-2022, 12:58 PM)ArielCasper Wrote:  Yes and no. If you look at KPop, it was an industry first mooted by President Kim Young San. Later, when Kim da Jung took over, he continued to take in nation resource to make it a success.

Of coz, we have also seem enough example of policies from party A are totally overruled when a new party take over. If it is a lousy policy, fine, but if it is a good policy, then people has to ask did they voted in the right person.

In most of the cases, when opposition wins the election, it will scrap everything from previous garment.

(14-01-2022, 01:06 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  In most of the cases, when opposition wins the election, it will scrap everything from previous garment.

Trump fought hard in Congress to get funding to build wall along Mexican border, guess what after Biden took office he suspended the construction of the wall and welcome more refugees to cross border to the US.

(14-01-2022, 01:06 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  In most of the cases, when opposition wins the election, it will scrap everything from previous garment.

But will that be a good enough reason to don't change hands and try out?

It is the willingness to try out new things that make society progress.

(14-01-2022, 01:02 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  If it is no good, how come Chao Ang Moh have been using this system for so long… Rotfl
You think Chao Ang Mohs are nuts.

There is no perfect system.
There is only good or bad system.
Both single party or two party have its pros and cons, you can’t blindly say their system is no good due to your own experience.

They are stupid bunch, in the US people are  now unhappy with both Biden and Trump, people are so sick of it that some of them are leaving the country and migrate to Canada and other countries.

(14-01-2022, 01:09 PM)ArielCasper Wrote:  But will that be a good enough reason to don't change hands and try out?

It is the willingness to try out new things that make society progress.

You are too naive, it is a game,  the election is party politics, the garment is supposed to take care of people’s well being, however in reality the party only takes care of itself own interests to gain as much as it could during the term,  no wonder people are unhappy as the election promises are all not kept

(14-01-2022, 01:09 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  They are stupid bunch, in the US people are  now unhappy with both Biden and Trump, people are so sick of it that some of them are leaving the country and migrate to Canada and other countries.

It is not about the system. It is more about the kind of ppl running the show. They do it for the ppl or other means?

I can say both Single or Two party systems can also be a good system as well as bad system.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Multi-Party system is better than two-party system, because two big parties continuously dominate the garment even if they are very lousy, other parties have no chance to get elected, this is not very democratic at all.

Two party system looks better than one party system, unreality it is not much better.

(14-01-2022, 01:23 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  It is not about the system. It is more about the kind of ppl running the show. They do it for the ppl or other means?

These people are not kind, they are very good at playing nasty tricks in party politics rather than running a country, look at Japan and Britain, PM could only last for a few months to a year.

In Australia backstabbing has got a few PMs lose jobs in recent years.

(14-01-2022, 06:26 AM)Bigiron Wrote:  Singapore unlikely to have a two-party political system like those in the US and the UK: Ong Ye Kung 

https://youtu.be/pBKoaHa7zIE

Opposition party leader, better open up your ear and listen carefully. If you don’t go out to fight your battles with all you might and soul. Losing the  battle is a sure thing and in time to comes, seeing your party dead while you under your charge.

(14-01-2022, 12:41 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  The US two party system fails badly, so does the democracy it promotes.

When crisis like COVID pandemic happens, the US garment is incapable to control the situation and contain the number of infections and death tolls.

Really?

There are always pros & cons. Pap & you are pointing out the pros of 1 party n cons of 2 party. But look at how vibrant US economy was and still is. There is always a contest of ideas to bring out the best.

Of course there will be downsides to any system. So we need a more balanced approach here but 1 party is not the holy grail either.

Pap will always argue to their advantage. When LKY was oppie, he totally criticise the autocratic rule also.

The voters will decide. Not pap.

Regardless of how many parties, the Executive, the Legislature and the Judiciary organs of the state must be independent.

(14-01-2022, 01:30 PM)RichDad Wrote:  Really?

There are always pros & cons. Pap & you are pointing out the pros of 1 party n cons of 2 party. But look at how vibrant US economy was and still is. There is always a contest of ideas to bring out the best.

Of course there will be downsides to any system.  So we need a more balanced approach here but 1 party is not the holy grail either.

Pap will always argue to their advantage.  When LKY was oppie, he totally criticise the autocratic rule also.

The voters will decide. Not pap.

The US is going downhill in many ways, people are suffering in recent years, they are talking about 2nd Civil War….the good thing about America is freedom of everything, you can do whatever you want, good or bad, some smart people can get rich easily but if you can’t make it you are homeless, sick or dead, nobody cares.

Spore is totally different, one party guarantees long term growth and stability, however one of these days another party could rule Spore if the ruling party doesn’t perform….WP is no good, it fails to raise questions in parliament for people…it is more like 2nd pap, forget it lah.

I am not saying two party system no good, I said multi-party system is better to let the best party to rule….the problems of two party system gets worse in the US, since neither candidate is capable of leading the country, the country is going downhill…your impression of the US is rusty, it is likely from 80s and 90s when the US was very powerful and strong. Do you know the US has the highest national debt around 28 trillion? The value of USD 100 is now worth only USD 2.4….one day when the world stop using USD, the economy will collapse.

(14-01-2022, 01:48 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  The US is going downhill in many ways, people are suffering in recent years, they are talking about 2nd Civil War….the good thing about America is freedom of everything, you can do whatever you want, good or bad, some smart people can get rich easily but if you can’t make it you are homeless, sick or dead, nobody cares.

Spore is totally different, one party guarantees long term growth and stability, however one of these days another party could rule Spore if the ruling party doesn’t perform….WP is no good, it fails to raise questions in parliament for people…it is more like 2nd pap, forget it lah.

I am not saying two party system no good, I said multi-party system is better to let the best party to rule….the problems of two party system gets worse in the US, since neither candidate is capable of leading the country, the country is going downhill…your impression of the US is rusty, it is likely from 80s and 90s when the US was very powerful and strong. Do you know the US has the highest national debt around 28 trillion? The value of USD 100 is now worth only USD 2.4….one day when the world stop using USD, the economy will collapse.

I have been to the US, both western coast and east coast, I was shocked to realize how backward it is, it is different from what we saw in Hollywood movies, homeless people everywhere in the streets, NYC subway is smelly and old with a lot of rats…when I landed in Sam Francisco airport, I had waited for 30 mins for the airport bus to send us to the terminal, and when the bus came, it is an old type of school bus of 1970s.

[Image: E5-EA9-C14-A857-4153-86-AB-4-ED7321694-DD.jpg]

(14-01-2022, 01:39 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Regardless of how many parties, the Executive, the Legislature and the Judiciary organs of the state must be independent.

You wish Rolleyes

Best system is like China....no voting. Becos too many dumbfarks wont know who to vote.

In China all capable leaders are selected from the lowest rank and groom upwards. Not like SG or other stupid Demoncratic country any tom dick or harry can become a minister.

The US is very backward, while the whole world is using 5G, many Americans are still using 4G even 3G mobiles. While people are watching movies online, Americans are still rent tapes from video shops. Laughing

[Image: 1410-B4-DC-A512-4-B2-A-B478-3-BC50-B909-ABE.jpg]