Singaporean family desperate after egg scam wipes out S$150,000 in life savings

Singaporean family desperate after egg scam wipes out S$150,000 in life savings 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...122023_cna

The ordeal started on Nov 26, when Mr Singh's wife came across a Facebook advertisement selling organic eggs.

--------------------------------

Throw away your handphones, lah!

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

if he can afford to have so much spare cash in his normal saving account. means he can afford to lose that much.
who knows maybe he is the scammer hoping the bank will reimburse the lost. these days anything is possible.
[+] 2 users Like wulala's post

(27-12-2023, 03:23 PM)wulala Wrote:  if he can afford to have so much spare cash in his normal saving account. means he can afford to lose that much.
who knows maybe he is the scammer hoping the bank will reimburse the lost. these days anything is possible.
This cud be a possibility. Who knows he is in cahoots with the scammer.
[+] 1 user Likes Gemstar's post

(27-12-2023, 03:25 PM)Gemstar Wrote:  This cud be a possibility. Who knows he is in cahoots with the scammer.
Possible too. Fake kana scam n ask for some compensation.
[+] 1 user Likes victortan's post

Scams prey on the greedy

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Tangsen's post

Something is wrong with FB.
Most scam comes from there...

Normally we buy from Lazada, shopee no such problem. Why government never take action against FB?
[+] 3 users Like moonrab's post

Believe not just FB, but any website that can convince one to click a link and let the apk install onto their phone can be victim
[+] 2 users Like lylcnn's post

This is scary. Can steal money from all his 4 bank accounts in different banks some more.  Confused

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung
[+] 1 user Likes Huliwang's post

Quote:Mr Singh said he did not receive any notifications, alerts or one-time passwords to permit the transactions - even though he usually received these for transactions involving much smaller amounts.

Basically bank  security is bypassed..they should.comoensate this poor family.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(27-12-2023, 04:44 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Basically bank  security is bypassed..they should.comoensate this poor family.
$75k max is it ?
[+] 1 user Likes ysh02's post

Facebook make $billions promoting scam sites.

Pap even embraces Facebook as it's media, thus getting more of it's diehard followers scammed. Especially the 61%. Pap must pay for this.
[+] 2 users Like Alice Alicia's post

That day, one CECA called me to do Survey. I told him, Sorry I am not free.  Rotfl

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 1 user Likes RiseofAsia's post

Expensive lesson. 
Who told him never come to Sg Talk forum like Ahbutt to check clear  Rotfl

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 1 user Likes RiseofAsia's post

(27-12-2023, 05:28 PM)Alice Alicia Wrote:  Facebook make $billions promoting scam sites.

Pap even embraces Facebook as it's media, thus getting more of it's diehard followers scammed. Especially the 61%. Pap must pay for this.

It is a huge mistake to endorse social media for their GE Campaign

It is another mistake to drive old folks to attend Digital Class without giving warning of risks

It is true incompetencies not to stop 3rd Party Payment App like other Countries

It is bull -dozing to force Hawkers to use so many gadgets to make payments

It is dumb mistake to support digi bank payments without security

The WORST Mistake is to Hire Shoot Blank Queen!

[Image: Throw-your-Handphone-1.gif]

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 3 users Like Ola's post

after SO MANY real life examples and warnings about NOT downloading unkown app still go and download.....

You have 4 user(s) on ignore
Somme road, alerts,  Choc,  winbig

Foo Mee Har is my sister in law - FACT
https://linktr.ee/freckydoodles
http://www.yuffy.com/trial/clippings.html
[+] 2 users Like wendychan's post

(27-12-2023, 04:44 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Basically bank  security is bypassed..they should.comoensate this poor family.

is it the bank's fault?

"Jason assured them about the quality of the eggs and asked for a deposit to be placed via an app, with the remainder to be paid upon delivery. He then sent a link to download the app.

Mr Singh installed the app, used it to order 60 eggs, and was led to a payment page that looked strikingly similar to UOB's.

Mr Singh then keyed in the login details of his UOB account. The transaction failed."

"On Nov 27, Mr Singh received not eggs but a call from a UOB customer service officer, asking about a hefty credit card transaction which Mr Singh "vehemently denied"."

[+] 1 user Likes wendychan's post

did you even read the article?

[+] 1 user Likes wendychan's post

(28-12-2023, 06:59 AM)wendychan Wrote:  is it the bank's fault?

"Jason assured them about the quality of the eggs and asked for a deposit to be placed via an app, with the remainder to be paid upon delivery. He then sent a link to download the app.

Mr Singh installed the app, used it to order 60 eggs, and was led to a payment page that looked strikingly similar to UOB's.

Mr Singh then keyed in the login details of his UOB account. The transaction failed."

"On Nov 27, Mr Singh received not eggs but a call from a UOB customer service officer, asking about a hefty credit card transaction which Mr Singh "vehemently denied"."

Ah Singh said he didn't receive notification from the bank..., he could have call and clarify if he received the msg...
[+] 1 user Likes pinkpanther's post

(28-12-2023, 07:07 AM)pinkpanther Wrote:  Ah Singh said he didn't receive notification from the bank..., he could have call and clarify if he received the msg...

coorect me im i am wrong, but notifications you yourself have to set up in "settings"  right?

in any case, he went to download app then he key in his details.

[+] 2 users Like wendychan's post

(28-12-2023, 07:16 AM)wendychan Wrote:  coorect me im i am wrong, but notifications you yourself have to set up in "settings"  right?

in any case, he went to download app  then he key in his details.

That is why he only wanted the bank to take partial responsibilities.

All this is happening because banks phase out hardware tokens to save money.

Now Singaporeans suffer from endless scams.

Those in IT know that operating systems and apps are never safe. You need a separate token to protect the customer.

Many here would like to blame customers being ignorant and not cyber trained.

But shouldn't securty mechanism the into account the customers' education background etc.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(28-12-2023, 07:36 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  All this is happening because banks phase out hardware tokens to save money.

Those in IT know that operating systems and apps are never safe. You need a separate token to protect the customer.

But shouldn't securty mechanism the into account the customers' education background etc.

It would depend on whether the Banks had earlier notified or informed the user not to divulge any account log-in details to any other persons. In this case, the user has been misled into a fake website and divulged the account details. Unless it can be pointed out it is the banks' fault, it would be very difficult or near impossibile to recover the money.

A friend almost kena. The scammer gave him a link and kept asking him to download an app to enter his particulars.
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post

I always fcuk scammers who ask me to download anything to my hp. Anyway I’m on iOS. Safer a bit Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like p1acebo's post

(28-12-2023, 07:36 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  All this is happening because banks phase out hardware tokens to save money.

Physical tokens are not safe either. If your bank app is infected, after the token is used to approve a transaction, the malware could continue to instruct more transactions without showing them on the screen and so you are not aware of them
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post

Anyway it is ahneh “victim”. Could be working together with the scammers. Never trust ahneh’s words

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

Some banks detect presence of unsafe apps in yr phone and stop you from using their apps, that's correct and dun blame them ok

Lidat if I pretend to be illiterate I can get away and be compensated even if I blatantly download unknown apps and apks?

(28-12-2023, 08:34 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Some banks detect presence of unsafe apps in yr phone and stop you from using their apps, that's correct and dun blame them ok

Well said. 👏